SOLVED: Female singer: "You say you're right. I don't want to fight".

Thread: SOLVED: Female singer: "You say you're right. I don't want to fight".

Tags: None
  1. miketheratguy said:

Default SOLVED: Female singer: "You say you're right. I don't want to fight".

EDIT: Lyrics could also be "You want to be right / I don't want to fight"
    EDIT 2: SOLVED BY BUGMENOT1!!! "Ba Ba Ba" by Ivy. How could I have ever guessed that?

HELP! I heard a song in Big Lots last week and, not having a cell phone and thinking that my tried and true tactic of remembering a sample line and googling it later would bear fruit, I've been going crazy upon finding out that I can't find the song at all.

It's a young female singer, sounds about 20s or 30s. It's a somewhat poppy adult contemporary type of song, nothing that's like dance music or fast and up-tempo or anything- more like the style of someone like Ingrid Michaelson. The only line I remember is the one in the title: It's something to the effect of "You...say you're RIGHT / I...don't want to FIGHT", something along those lines. Something about the guy being, saying, or thinking that he's right, and the singer saying or thinking that she doesn't want to or would rather not fight. The exact wording seems to evade me because none of the searches have worked, but I'm 100 percent certain as to the general sentiment of the line. The rest of the song's structure seemed to be made up of similar "you say this, I say this" type of word play.

The music was mixed along with Ingrid Michaelson's "Everybody" and some other modern, light, inoffensive tunes from the late 2000s and 2010s so I'm guessing that the song isn't any more than ten years old, and I'm guessing it's fairly modern. Again, it's not dance music or "modern" hip-hop style pop or anything.

Please help me figure this out!
    Last edited by miketheratguy; 03-26-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Mystery solved!

2. miketheratguy said:

Does anyone have any guesses that you know to be incorrect but at least similar in any detail? Even if I can't find the exact song itself I'd gladly take any possible leads and try to work from there. I've gone so far as to start listening to every female song on the Billboard list and signed up with Pandora to see if I can get some luck and randomly hear it there. I've got nothing but the lyrics, which are apparently not exact enough (or perhaps too new) to find them through exhaustive Google searches.

3. George Vergakis said:

4. miketheratguy said:

Quote Originally Posted by George Vergakis View Post
    Female singer, dude.

You're the first person to try to help though, so I appreciate the guess all the same.

5. bugmenot1 said:

Try this song:

"Take Me Back" by Charity Vance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UoHSJFByrY

6. miketheratguy said:

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot1 View Post
    Try this song:

"Take Me Back" by Charity Vance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UoHSJFByrY
    Hmm, not it, but I can kind of see why you would have made the connection.

I think I misspoke when I said the song was "pop". In listening to a bunch of music during my search for the song, I'm seeing that pop tends to mean something different than what I thought it did. Rather than having synth or electronic beats the song I'm trying to find is more...I guess folk. It's slower, more acoustic, not so young / hip / studio. Again, the music would share the shelf with someone like Ingrid Michaelson or Sia or someone of that nature. The song struck me as something that someone in their 30s would listen to, not someone in their teens. If any of that makes any sense, lol. I truly wish that I had more to go on.

Those lyrics: The woman saying that the guy has a need to be be right whereas she doesn't want to fight - the "you say" / "I say" format of the song- is the most definitive thing I can think of when trying to place it.

7. bugmenot1 said:

More like this?

"I Do" by Lisa Loeb
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVo77O5J4s

8. miketheratguy said:

More like this?

"I Do" by Lisa Loeb
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVo77O5J4s
    While that isn't the song, it is closer to the style of the one I'm thinking of. This one ("I Do") is a little peppier, happier, "radio ready"- but the ingredients are more like the song I'm looking for than the others provided so far, if that makes any sense.

atmaestro said:

Try "I don't want to Fight" by Lulu (and Tina Turner)

"I don't care who's wrong or right
    I don't really wanna fight no more "
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

10. bugmenot1 said:

11. miketheratguy said:

BY GOD THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god man (or woman), THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! I know that this whole forum is all about helping people to find the songs that they can't identify, and that my supreme feeling of excitement and relief at having been assisted is far from rare here, but I cannot TELL you how gratified I am. I can almost always identify the songs that I'm looking for by remembering specific lyrics and subsequently googling them, but this one eluded me and it was making me crazy. I thought it about it every day, multiple times per day, and tried every avenue that I could think of to identify it. I tried googling the lyrics a dozen different ways on multiple search engines, called the store to ask them if they knew what it was or whether they could direct me to a specific station, crawled through the Billboard top hits, grabbed random ladies who I thought it might have been and started going through their discographies, tried singing into one of those "hum to identify a song" websites, and finally thought that I may get lucky by signing up here. I can't believe it, but I was right - this community (and you in particular, of course) helped me to find the unfindable song.

The actual lyrics, now that I have them? "You want to be right. I don't want to fight". A permutation that I most certainly DID google, but came up empty for. I'm curious, do you mind telling me how you know this song?

Thank you all very much for trying to help me. And special thanks to you bugmenot, you have solved a great mystery for me and put my mind at ease after a solid week of frustrated, hopeless guessing. Now to enjoy Ivy and the rest of her music!!!!

12. miketheratguy said:

Deleted post? Lol uh-oh, I hope it wasn't anything negative. :P Seriously though, I'm fascinated to know how you helped me find the song. I've even looked for it again now that I know what it is, and aside from a direct title search I can't find anything at all. If there's an advanced trick to finding this stuff online I'd love to know the secret!

13. bugmenot1 said:

"You want to be right" "I don't want to fight"
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...nt+to+fight%22

14. miketheratguy said:

Fascinating. By simply dividing both lines and placing them in their own quotations, I see that the lyrics can be found. What I'd been doing (and what always worked for me before) was simply googling the word "lyrics" followed by the actual lyrics, as a single line, in quotation marks. For example the search: Lyrics "you want to be right I don't want to fight" got me nowhere.

I find it interesting that this subtle change can mean the difference between exact results and no results at all. Thanks for shedding some light on this, and again for finding my song.