trying a long shot

Thread: trying a long shot

Tags: None
  1. didi imagine it said:

Default trying a long shot

Hi all,
    as the title says ,I'm trying a long shot, I have been searching in vain for sometime now, mainly because A/ I can't recall the artist , B/ I can't recall the song title and C/ I can't re-call the record label either and I only have a handful of the lyrics
    all I can remember is it was sung by a female artist and had an Irish lilt to it as far as I can recall.

some of the lyrics ,as far as I recall ,are " my Rory has sailed o'er the ocean, to a land far across the blue sea, he has gone where the living is better" and that's all I have. that and the vague recollection it was sung to the tune of either ' red river valley' or ' my bonnie lies over the ocean'

the story behind my search is, one of my son's is called Rory, when he was about 4-5 years old I found this record in a charity shop so I bought it ,for sentimental reasons really unfortunately his mum and I split up a few years later and the record ,among other's, was lost, anyway his 30th birthday is coming up soon and I thought it might be fun to find it in one form or another as a birthday surprise for him.

if anyone can help I'd be very grateful

atmaestro said:

The lyrics sound very similar to an old folk Irish tune, "If I Was/Were a Blackbird".
    However, there a multitude of variations and artists.

"He sailed o'er the ocean, his fortune to seek"
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

3. didi imagine it said:

thanks atmaster, have already looked at the lyrics for " if I was a Blackbird" and although there are some similarities the lyrics and tune are not the same as the song I'm searching for, I've been looking for it for so long now I'm beginning to think I imagined ever hearing or owning the record at all