Dard e Delamo - what does it mean?

Thread: Dard e Delamo - what does it mean?

Tags: None
  1. wordsworth89 said:

Default Dard e Delamo - what does it mean?

I was listening to the song Setaayesh by Morteza Pashaie, and reading the translation, but the English rendering fell short at "Ye akso dard e delamo".
    Could anyone tell me what it means, because my Iranian friends have been struggling and how could you translate that sentence?
    Here is the context:

"...Otaagham atre to daare
    Delam gerefte dobaare
    Kaare man entazaare
    Ye akso dard e delamo
    Mirize ashke cheshamo..."

Thanks in advance.

afsaneh said:

Unfortunately, such weird phrases or sentences usually happen in pop/rap songs, which are mostly for the benefit of making rhymes.
    Here, up to "Kaare man entazaare" "my job is waiting" we have sentences with a proper verb, but suddenly it shifts to a phrase, "Ye akso dard e delamo" which doesn't have a verb, it means "a photo and my talks and" and then again a sentence "Mirize ashke cheshamo" "my tears fall and" I mean even for Farsi speakers it may be problematic. The general idea, perhaps is that he's having her photo and is talking to the photo.
    "If music be the food of love; play on."
    Shakespeare

3. wordsworth89 said:

Thankyou very much for the help, that was very informative. You're theory is interesting, but what do you think of mine? That is, that he's expecting a picture of himself doing something he shouldn't to be shown to his love (perhaps him with another woman) and his tears fall because this is going to cause their separation? Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

afsaneh said:

You're welcome. So what about "darde delam"? I wrote "talks" for it, but it is not simple talking. "Darde del kardan" means to "unburden"
    Oxford definition for unburden is: "to talk to sb about your problems or sth you have been worrying about, so that you feel less anxious" This is exactly "darde del kardan".
    Shakespeare

5. wordsworth89 said:

The translation I got online was "a picture and my screeds". A screed is something involved in building construction!
    The way my Iranian friend got "darde delam" across to me was as having a heart to heart with someone, so just as you say, to unburden oneself. He also translated the original line as "a picture of my heart to heart" which clearly makes no sense! His English is the best of all my Iranian friends, even on par with the one who has been in England for more than 30 years to his credit!
    Going by what you've just taught me, my idea of that line's meaning doesn't fit at all. So yeah, I have no idea!
    "Darde del kardan" is a new phrase for me, so thankyou for that too.
    I've learnt a lot of Farsi from Morteza Pashaie, but generally have been so lazy regarding learning as I know very little, but living with my Persian friends I do have a great opportunity to learn if I just make the most of it!

afsaneh said:

I believe screed is wrong here, it's a piece of long and boring writing which is different from darde del, having a heart to heart is correct, but "a picture of my heart to heart" as you mentioned is not correct, in that case we would've had "ye aks az darde delam"
    "a photo and my heart-to-heart talks" is the actual meaning and because he is alone, having only a photo, that's why I guessed he may be talking to the photo, maybe I'm wrong, but such romantic images repeatedly happen in mournful pop songs
    But as I said since we don't have a verb and just two words "photo" "a heart-to-heart talk", you may have your own paraphrasing, there's no problem if you find it confusing, in songs such things happen.

Don't worry I'm sure you're doing well, and learning by songs could even make it fun. Anyway, if you need any translation of the songs, I'd be happy to help you
    Shakespeare

7. wordsworth89 said:

I had an idea that screed meant something like that, like a scroll of one's deeds or something, but when I looked it up online I only found information on screeds relating to those used in construction! Weird.
    I have to agree with your idea of the meaning now knowing about the grammar of that sentence and not just the words.
    Any time I found a new Morteza Pashaie song it became my favourite, and always fit perfectly with whatever situation I was going through at the time. The first song I heard was To Rafti, which I can kind of understand, but have never found or been able to come up with a more literal translation, even with my friends help. There was a thread by somebody else asking for a translation of that song but I don't think it ever got resolved.
    I really appreciate all your effort in helping me, thankyou.

8. wordsworth89 said:

I forgot to mention my idea for this song is that it's about a man who's on the edge of going crazy because his love is not with him anymore. There's the obvious line "setaayesh yanin divoonegi ham..." Was the translation "My madness is praise" that I found online correct? The last half of the song especially has some imagery that makes me believe the singer is slightly mad.
    There's one other line that doesn't seem to have been done justice in the translation I found:
    "Del baaz par zade vaase atre nafas haat..." Can anyone clear this one up for me?

afsaneh said:

Your idea is absolutely right. The singer sounds mad because he is in love and "exaggerates" his loneliness, most (at least iranian) pop singers do it so that one may think they're crazy, but actually they're mourning for a lost/gone lover!
    Shakespeare

afsaneh said:

setaayesh yani divoonegi ham: adoration means my madness
    Del baaz par zade vaase atre nafas haat: my heart has started fluttering agian for the fragrance of your breaths
    Shakespeare