Default Laura (SLAM poetry piece)

You say that you have to leave.
    I physically hear those words as they sear through my eardrums,
    Ricocheting like bullets off of a concrete wall,
    But my mind cannot wrap around the fact that
    You are the one who pulled the trigger.

Seeing me cry makes you upset,
    You say to me,
    So I turn my face from you, but the tears do not stop.
    Will they ever?
    I’m too scared to say the words aloud but I need you.

You were naked with me.
    Emotionally naked, vulnerable,
    And when I fantasized about you,
    It was not the magnificently sculpted breasts upon your chest
    That were my desire
    But rather the eloquent words that slid out beneath your tongue and into my burning ears
    Soothing them like the wash of the tide on an empty midnight shore.

I am afraid that I will come crashing into you.
    That I will be drowning out my solitude with shitty coffee at 3am
    Writing a million more stupid words for you
    And it will all come crashing down at once
    And you won't be here to piece me back together.

You are a lifetime of “ifs” and “buts” and I, “whens” and “hows”
    And I just want to be near you.
    You say that it’s just as hard for you to leave me,
    But you do not look back when you walk the other direction.
    I count your steps.
    One, two, sixteen, seventeen.

I try to number the stars with our memories, but I am blinded by the constellation of your face.
    It’s everywhere. You’re everywhere.
    I hear you in every Bob Dylan song and see you every pair of overalls.
    I taste you in my frozen yogurt and I touch you as I hug my pillow to my chest at night.
    You’re the smell before the rain, and I find it so insane that
    When people talk of beautiful things,
    You are the only one that crosses my mind.

When I close my eyes, I imagine what your warm body feels like pressed against mine on a cold winter night.
    I whisper words out loud as they suffocate me in their darkness, wishing they were being heard by your ears instead.
    Maybe if I say them loud enough I can envision your return.

You are the most f*cking beautiful thing that my eyes have ever seen,
    When I gaze at you, I see meadows of flowers and snow-capped mountain tops and fireflies.
    Your eyes shine, golden halos of light, reflecting colors that my mind cannot begin to discover.

I have never let my demons get the best of me,
    But then again, they have never appeared as beautiful as you.

There is an entire universe of words splattering across the width of my brain,
    But not a single one is good enough for your ears to hear.
    I need you here.
    F*ck. I said it aloud again.

I have spent weeks re-writing this f*cking poem,
    Like it’s a mathematical equation and the sum of me and you will finally be us.
    Maybe if I can find the right words you will come back to me.
    I have spent weeks re-writing this f*cking poem,
    Knowing it will never measure up to what you deserve.
    But if I tell you that I’m still trying,
    Is that enough?
    I won’t give you up.
    Last edited by Kerri Faye Yates; 04-10-2016 at 02:59 AM. Reason: added additional content
    ~Kerri Faye

2. Wpfearnley said:

Really moving!

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Thank you <3
    ~Kerri Faye

Doug Denslowe said:

You may be a better poet than a song writer.I said "may be".Im not one to judge,I'm not hip to poetry as I am to song lyrics.You are an amazing writer in whatever direction you choose.I hope you're practicing your guitar because it's something that you can get better at with repetition.Writing is a gift,which you have in spades,although you can go through dry spells which can last decades.Keep it up,I know you be as successful as you want,just keep at it!

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    You may be a better poet than a song writer.I said "may be".Im not one to judge,I'm not hip to poetry as I am to song lyrics.You are an amazing writer in whatever direction you choose.I hope you're practicing your guitar because it's something that you can get better at with repetition.Writing is a gift,which you have in spades,although you can go through dry spells which can last decades.Keep it up,I know you be as successful as you want,just keep at it!
    Your encouraging words always melt my heart! Thank you so much for your kindness. I'm currently traveling (long story) so I don't have my guitar, but it's definitely a priority when I get home!
    ~Kerri Faye

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri Faye Yates View Post
    Your encouraging words always melt my heart! Thank you so much for your kindness. I'm currently traveling (long story) so I don't have my guitar, but it's definitely a priority when I get home!
    I'm aware of your travels...........we are Facebook friends and although I don't post too often,I do read and get updates on your life.I say this as I would to a friend,daughter or anyone I care about;there is NO EXCUSE to not have your instrument with you!!If you want to be a songwriter/performer in the future,you absolutely need your guitar with you at all times.If you are doing volunteer work and it won't allow you to bring it.........it's not worth doing.Seriously,I only say this because I care!Im very disappointed in you because I spent a lot of time telling you this.Not for my sake,for yours!You must practice,practice,practice to even consider being a successful musician.Like I said,you have a natural gift for writing,if you coupled that with great guitar playing you can't miss!No one gave me a bit of advice,and playing drums on the road is a lot more difficult.If you read about any great songwriter/guitar player,they all have one thing in common; their guitars were always with them,especially when they were young and trying to make people notice them.Okay,end of lecture.I hope you take this to heart because if you do the world is your oyster.Take care,Doug.

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    I'm aware of your travels...........we are Facebook friends and although I don't post too often,I do read and get updates on your life.I say this as I would to a friend,daughter or anyone I care about;there is NO EXCUSE to not have your instrument with you!!If you want to be a songwriter/performer in the future,you absolutely need your guitar with you at all times.If you are doing volunteer work and it won't allow you to bring it.........it's not worth doing.Seriously,I only say this because I care!Im very disappointed in you because I spent a lot of time telling you this.Not for my sake,for yours!You must practice,practice,practice to even consider being a successful musician.Like I said,you have a natural gift for writing,if you coupled that with great guitar playing you can't miss!No one gave me a bit of advice,and playing drums on the road is a lot more difficult.If you read about any great songwriter/guitar player,they all have one thing in common; their guitars were always with them,especially when they were young and trying to make people notice them.Okay,end of lecture.I hope you take this to heart because if you do the world is your oyster.Take care,Doug.
    We can only have so much luggage with us, and in bags, or i would have brought it with me. I literally had no way to get it to campus unfortunately. I did pick up a ukulele and have tinkered with it a bit while on the road.
    ~Kerri Faye