Amethystos - difference between "πολύ καλοί φίλοι" and "καλοί φίλοι"

Thread: Amethystos - difference between "πολύ καλοί φίλοι" and "καλοί φίλοι"

Tags: None

David Halitsky said:

Default Amethystos - difference between "πολύ καλοί φίλοι" and "καλοί φίλοι"

Amethystos - in Greece, if a Greek woman tells a man she wants to be "πολύ καλοί φίλοι", is that any different from telling him she wants to be "καλοί φίλοι"?

In other words, does "πολύ καλοί φίλοι" imply more possibility of something developing beyond friendship?

Or does the "πολύ" not have this connotation in Greek? (It does in English a little bit, I think.)

Or does it depend on the woman?

Amethystos said:

"πολύ καλοί φίλοι" = very good friends
    "καλοί φίλοι" = good friends

Friends David, just friends.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

David Halitsky said:

That was short and to the point, Amethystos - LOL ....

But I have a Greek friend who disagrees - he says the distinction is the same as in English - one holds out more chance of something more possibly developing.

Perhaps his answer differs from yours because he is young (36) and therefore more optimistic in general than an old pessimist like you, who has lived long enough to be disillusioned with and by everything ... LOL.

Amethystos said:

Default Well... You knew I had to answer, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by David Halitsky View Post
    That was short and to the point, Amethystos - LOL ....
    Thanks David

But I have a Greek friend who disagrees - he says the distinction is the same as in English - one holds out more chance of something more possibly developing.
    I wish he's the right one.

Perhaps his answer differs from yours because he is young (36) and therefore more optimistic in general than an old pessimist like you, who has lived long enough to be disillusioned with and by everything ... LOL.
    disillusioned .....

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks"
    "Unless he's willing to learn them"

You're old enough to know that miracles may actually happen, I guess you've already seen them happening in the past.

Ps.
    Young, 36y/o ..... you remember the age Mozart died don't you?

David Halitsky said:

Well, Amethystos, just to keep you up-to-date on this "developing story" (LOL!), here is what she meant by "πολύ καλοί φίλοι". From what she wrote, she strikes me as a very good and sincere person ... too bad we will never become "involved".

Με πολλούς ανθρώπους είμαστε φίλοι.... Και με αρκετούς είμαστε καλοί φίλοι..... Το πολύ καλοί φίλοι σημαίνει - μιλάει για ανθρώπους που μπορείς να κάνεις κατάθεση ψυχής..... Εκείνο που βρίσκεται στο βάθος και δεν το βλέπει κανείς.. Παρά μόνο εμείς....Αυτό το κάτι λοιπόν το εμπιστεύεται μόνο στον "πολύ καλό σου φίλο".......ούτε στον φίλο....ούτε σε συγγενή.... ούτε στα παιδιά σου....επίσης και στον σύντροφος σου........Μόνο στον "πολύ καλό σου φίλο"....Αυτή είναι ή Σκέψη μου....

Amethystos said:

Politeness...

David Halitsky said:

My god, Amethystos - I knew you were disillusioned, but I didn't realize HOW disilluisioned ... LOL

You cannot even recognize a "cry from the heart" ("cri de coeur" in French) any longer ... LOL

Why would this woman bother to invite me to her private (not usual) chat lane, if she didn't mean it ??????? She didn't have to bother ...