New Non-Profit Greek Record Label for Old Laika and Rebetika from UNSIGNED artists ..

Thread: New Non-Profit Greek Record Label for Old Laika and Rebetika from UNSIGNED artists ..

Tags: None

David Halitsky said:

Default New Non-Profit Greek Record Label for Old Laika and Rebetika from UNSIGNED artists ..

If you're on Facebook, read this link.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00008134184696

If you're not on FB, here's what the link says:

****************** Prospectus for New "Non-Profit" Record Label*********

I intend to start a "not-for-profit" record label in Greece - it will be called J&M Records ("J" for Jules and "M" for Melina.)

J&M will record any and all talented BUT UNSIGNED Greek musicians, singers, and groups who perform old laika and old rebetika. This includes not only artists currently living in Greece, but also abroad in countries such as the US, Canada, Australia, Germany, etc. Also, J&M will record new music from composers who are still composing songs in the style of old laika or old rebetika.

J&M will be "not-for-profit" because after exepenses, all income from the sale of J&M CD's will be split as follows: 1) J&M will pass some of the income after expenses thru to the artists themselves; 2) J&M will use the remainder of the income after expenses to produce the next round of CD's. J&M will make no "profit" from the CD's.

I believe that J&M will be very very successful. I believe that there are many many people in countries such as the US, Australia, Germany, Canada who deeply love traditional Greek music (old laika and rebetika), and will buy J&M CD's for two reasons: i) these people will enjoy listening to the CD's;ii) these people understand that when they support J&M by purchasing CD's, they are helping to provide "discographies" for many talented artists who otherwise will not have the chance to build discographies.

Also, even though I can completely fund J&M myself for the first several years, I believe that J&M will be able to attract additional sponsors or donors who will make tax-deductible donations to J&M because they believe in J&M's corporate mission.

And finally, J&M will of course have a website, and in return for donations, the website will feature restaurants and clubs across the world in running ads.

Amethystos said:

My best wishes to such a great attempt!
    As a Greek I feel like saying a big "Thank you" David!
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

David Halitsky said:

Thank you so much for the good wishes, Amethystos.

I will tell you something funny - you will laugh.

Originally, I intended to call the new company "A&D Records", because Amethystos and Duffy were my first true friends in Greece, and are still two of my three best friends in Greece (the other is the young composer from Volos, Panos Koutselinis.)

But I realized that even if "A&D Ointment" is not sold in Greece under the same name as in the USA, people here in the US would think of this product as soon as they heard "A&D Records".

So, I had to pick a different name.

But even though you and Duffy do not have your initials in the company name, I hope the company will be able to express the love that you two have for the music of your country.

Best regards as always, Amethystos - file mou. Na eiste kala, panta.

David Halitsky said:

Great news Amethystos

Annamarie Buonocore is the publisher of Voices, the journal of VoicesOfHellenism.org, where our poem was published

https://www.facebook.com/annamarie.buonocore

http://www.voicesofhellenism.org/

She has agreed to send out the prospectus to her donor list and ask for pledges to the new company.

She will also do a press-release under the auspices of VoicesOfHellenism and send to organizations like Hellenic News of America.

I truly believe the response will be outstanding. I think people will understand that the purpose of this new company is to preserve the accomplishments of an entire generation of young Greek artists and composers who might not otherwise have any legacy, due to the present economic situation (Plus some oldtimers who are still out there and having a hard time of it ... you can't believe the number of top-talented guys on bouzouki who are working small tavernas and happy to get the work.

Finally, I hope you will consider becoming ChiefArtisticOfficer of the new company, once it is formed. I am very serious about this. Our mutual friend Duffy is considering taking on the responsibilities of ChiefFinancialOfficer - he will let me tomorrow ...

Best as always.
    djh

Amethystos said:

Maybe ... art produced during the years of misery is deeper than the one of the Golden Age.

I'll gladly assist your idea David.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

David Halitsky said:

"I'll gladly assist your idea David."

Thank you, K. Amethystos. As soon as incoporation gets under way, I will be in touch ...