Late '80s - early '90s obscure, New York hip-hop

Thread: Late '80s - early '90s obscure, New York hip-hop

Tags: early 90's rap, hip hop, late 80's rap, old school, rap
  1. afrolystic said:

Question Late '80s - early '90s obscure, New York hip-hop

I don't remember the exact year, but I found a cassette tape with a bunch of songs on it, not a DJ's mixed tape, more like somebody's personal mix. At that time, none of my friends knew the name of the song or even the name of the artist. Then I lost the tape. I've only ever heard that song one more time since then. Maybe 3 years ago, I was driving back home from work and the radio DJ was diggin' in the crates. The lyrics I remember pretty clearly with a few words I'm unsure of, but more or less go like this:

Time and time again
    As I put the pen to the paper, I find
    MC's don't like our stylin', ' cause they can't do no better.
    Leavin' the mix up to Ken, and Glenn,
    Then I'm on the rhyme, and
    Makin' stupid lyrics for those who can't come near us.
    Check it out, 'cause I'm dumb, deffer than, don't forget doper.
    Leave you on the scene like Jack and Mr. Roper.
    Super duper trooper like Woody Woodpecker...

From then on, I don't recall much. In fact, its been so long, even what I do remember might even be a bit out of order. But, I've been doing Google searches with parts or all of those lyrics and I've come up with nothing.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if the song is so obscure that it never made its way to the internet..

2. jp12345 said:

The phrase "MC's don't like our style cause they can't do no better" is the chorus for Bush Babees - Wax. Does it sound like it was sampled in your song?

3. afrolystic said:

That's the exact cadence! It most certainly has to be the song I'm thinking of!

Thanks for this lead, JP!

Time to check whosampled.com

4. jp12345 said:

Ha, that's the first place I went. All I could find was the song "Wax" sampled The New Style by Beastie Boys (1986) and Change the Beat (Female Version) by Beside (1982).

5. afrolystic said:

Many thanks, man. It's definitely a lead I'm sure will lead to the answer. It's further than I've gotten in years.