SOLVED: Dark mid or late 90s song (I think) that ends with a female humming

Thread: SOLVED: Dark mid or late 90s song (I think) that ends with a female humming

Tags: None
  1. miketheratguy said:

Default SOLVED: Dark mid or late 90s song (I think) that ends with a female humming

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a song that I heard in the mid to late 90s which ends with a female vocalist humming. I wouldn't be able to totally explain the hum, but if I were to try to spell it out it might look like this:

Hmm hm-hmmmmmm hmm-hm,

Hmm hm-hmmmmmm hmm-hm

I don't know how to write music or scales but the first three hms, including the long one, start pretty low and go a little upwards in pitch, then drop, then go up again. Sort of like "one two threeeee, one three, one two threeee, one three".

My memory is that it's a haunting song, or at least that hum at the end (which I think might also be the chorus) is. I'm almost totally sure that the song is not rap, hip-hop or metal but likely alternative. The hum suggested dark, morose subject matter.

The only other thing I can think to compare it to is The Memory Remains and Not An Addict. It's neither of those, but the humming parts of those songs kind of resemble it.
    Last edited by miketheratguy; 07-19-2016 at 05:25 AM.

atmaestro said:

May be something by Natalie Merchant, Alanis Morissette, Dido or Edie Brickell?
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

3. miketheratguy said:

Hmm, those are some good names to start with. I'm not sure about Alanis or Dido (unless they've got some more "serious" stuff that I wasn't familiar with) but Natalie Merchant strikes me as a possibility.

4. miketheratguy said:

I've checked a bunch of songs by those artists and keep coming up empty.

5. bugmenot1 said:

Maybe this song:

"Zombie" by The Cranberries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts

6. RobbyT said:

Hmmm, you never know: Enya - Boadicea .

7. miketheratguy said:

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyT View Post
    Hmmm, you never know: Enya - Boadicea .
    Yes!!! This is the song!!! It's funny, I tried quite a few by Enya and didn't find anything similar. I started to check her off the list because I figured "her songs are fluffy and uplifting, it's obviously not one of hers". Turns out that's exactly what it was. Thank you all for trying to help, and thank you in particular Robby for providing the answer I was looking for!

8. RobbyT said:

You are welcome, glad you found it :-)