new to this

Thread: new to this

Tags: None
  1. dlinjah said:

Default new to this

I love music and was told that I could learn Spanish faster through it. Can someone help me to translate the lyrics of the son Luna by Rey John in English? I am trying but am no getting anywhere. Thanks a l in advance

Oye Luna ven eschucha mi voz que la soledad no me deja escapar porque ya eh comenzado a extranarla porque ya empezado amarla ella es todo Para mi mi reina ve ande dile por favor dile que no soy Feliz dile que si tiene Un beso que ha guardado Un dia Para darmelo a mi hablele de todo el tiempo que pasamos juntos digale que vuelva que Puedo morir Luna dile que me siento Como Un pez fruera del agua Luna dile que no me deje solo que se muera mi Alma que la amo cada dia que pasa que sus recuerdos son los que me Dan Vida que extrano tanto que me hac Mucha falta no es tan solo a mi tambien la extrana mi Cama que la amo cada dia que pasa que sus recuerdos son lo que me Dan Vida que vuelva a mi que vuelva mi lado por favor

2. just said:

Summary of the song you wish to translate:

A man is singing to the moon, asking the moon to go and talk to the girl he loves and beg her to come back to him.

The lyrics you have provided are very poorly written. If you are trying to learn Spanish, I advise you to consult sources that spell things correctly, otherwise you will pick up bad habits and will not understand properly written Spanish when you see it.

The lyrics are romantic and sweet, but badly written.

(I am now no longer talking about the badly written nature of the written version of the lyrics that you have provided. Rather, I am referring to the poor grammar of the actual sung / spoken lyrics themselves).

This is not a very good song for you to use as a beginner wishing to learn Spanish, because some of the grammar used in the lyrics is confusing even for native speakers, due to the fact that some of the grammar is just plain incorrect.

In addition, the lyricist switches between addressing the moon informally and informally – at times using the informal “tú” form of verbs, and at other times using the formal “usted” form.

i.e. sometimes he says to the moon “dígale” but at other times he says “dile”.

This makes no sense. The speaker needs to make up his mind how he wants to address the moon, and be consistent in his addresses, rather than swapping back and forth between formal and informal styles.

Verse:

Oye Luna, ven, eschucha mi voz
    Hey, Moon, come here, listen to my voice

Que la soledad no me deja escapar
    Because my loneliness won't let me escape / won't let me leave

Porque ya he comenzado a extrañarla
    Because I have already started to miss her (in English we would use a different verb tense, and would say I am already missing her / I miss her already)

Porque ya he empezado a amarla
    Because I have already started to love her (in English we would use a different verb tense, and would say I already love her / I'm falling in love with her already)

Ella es todo para mí, mi reina
    She is everything to me, [she is] my Queen

Ve, anda, dile por favor
    Go, please tell her

Dile que no soy feliz
    Tell her I am not happy

Dile que si tiene un beso que ha guardado un día para darmelo a mí
    Tell her* if she has a kiss that she's been keeping for a day to give [it] to me
    [*he means “ask her” but he's using the wrong word – he should have said “pregúntale” instead of “dile”]

Háblele de todo el tiempo que pasamos juntos
    Talk to her about all the time we spent together

Dígale que vuelva, que puedo morir
    Tell her to come back, [tell her] that I could die (he means he is pining for her and feels so sad and lonely that he wants to die)

Chorus:

Luna, dile que me siento como un pez fuera del agua
    Moon, tell her that I feel like a fish out of water

Luna, dile que no me deje solo que se muere mi alma
    Moon, tell her not to leave me alone because my soul is dying

Que la amo cada día que pasa
    That I love her with every day that goes by

Que sus recuerdos son los que me dan vida
    That the memories of her are what give life to me

Quien extrano tanto, que me hace mucha falta
    Whom I miss so much, whom I need very much

No es tan sólo a mí: también la extraña mi cama
    It's not just me; my bed misses her as well (i.e. he misses having her in his bed)

Que vuelva a mí, que vuelva a mi lado, por favor.
    That she should come back to me, come back to my side, please.

(Instrumental)

Second part:

Dile que no soy feliz
    Tell her I am not happy

Dile que si tiene un beso que ha guardado un día para darmelo a mí
    Tell her* if she has a kiss that she's been keeping for a day to give [it] to me
    [*he means “ask her” but he's using the wrong word – he should have said “pregúntale” instead of “dile”]

Háblele de todo el tiempo que pasamos juntos
    Talk to her about all the time we spent together

Dígale que vuelva, que puedo morir
    Tell her to come back, [tell her] that I could die

Second chorus: (very slight difference in the words as compared to the first chorus)

Luna, dile que me siento como un pez fuera del agua
    Moon, tell her that I feel like a fish out of water

Luna, dile que no me deje solo que se muere mi alma
    Moon, tell her not to leave me alone because my soul is dying

Que vuelva pronto*, que me hace mucha falta
    Tell her to come back soon*, for I need her very much
    [*this line is different from the words of the first chorus]

No es tan sólo a mí: también la extraña mi cama
    It's not just me; my bed misses her as well (i.e. he misses having her in his bed)

Que vuelva a mí, que vuelva a mi lado, por favor.
    That she should come back to me, come back to my side, please.

(Back-up singers sing repeatedly: “Que vuelva, dile que vuelva” which means “tell her to come back”)