"Ma Hadawin Shelach" help needed

Thread: "Ma Hadawin Shelach" help needed

Tags: help hebrew to english
  1. Miriamj said:

Default "Ma Hadawin Shelach" help needed

I'm trying to translate the song "Ma Hadawin Shelach" by Danny Sanderson. I can't understand the following two expressions:
    לא זוכרת מה זה יאסו Don't understand word "yasu" (or yesu/yaso/yeso?) in the line "lo zocheret ma zeh yasu".
    אני קולט אותך עיוני Don't understand the word "ayoni" iin the line "ani kolet otach ayoni".

2. LilyA said:

Even though it was posted a reallyyy long time ago..........
    Yasu- It is like "olee" in spanish
    Ayuni- It's taken from arabic. It means "my eyes" .... Like if somebody says ayuni to someone else he's basically telling them that they are their eyes ( You say it to people you like ) Its basically implying that they are impotrant to you. BUT most of the time, It's just something you say to people that you're friends with
    Hope it helped someone

3. Miriamj said:

Default "Ma Hadawin Shelach"

Quote Originally Posted by LilyA View Post
    Even though it was posted a reallyyy long time ago..........
    Yasu- It is like "olee" in spanish
    Ayuni- It's taken from arabic. It means "my eyes" .... Like if somebody says ayuni to someone else he's basically telling them that they are their eyes ( You say it to people you like ) Its basically implying that they are impotrant to you. BUT most of the time, It's just something you say to people that you're friends with
    Hope it helped someone
    Thanks LilyA, that was helpful.
    What do you think the songwriter meant by לא זוכרת מה זה יאסו "lo zocheret ma zeh yasu" in the context of the song?

4. LilyA said:

Hmmm .. well after listening to this song the writer might have meant that she simply doesn't remember what yaso is.. which is a bit weird but kind of safe to assume by the way he's saying it - לא זוכרת מה זה יאסו .
    Some people think that this song was written to kind of "degrade" Mizrahi/ Oriental music.. soo.. (It's just an assumption) it might mean that this women that he's talking about forgot `~HEBREW MUSIC~ ( I dont now if you are aware of it but in Israel we have 2 types of music: Mizrahit and Zemer Ivri).. and 'yaso' - you can kinda relate this word to Zemer ivri ~Ashkenazi~
    Zemer ivri example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcayUsa9yvw
    Mizrahit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9F_7N_MbI

++ Mizrahit, usually, especially today contains a lot of slang - which some people view to be kind of.. you know..