I was thinking of this earlier and I thought it might be a good idea for a topic. Do your friends have the same taste in music as you? What type of artists/bands do they like?

With the exception of two, all of my best/close friends are into rock music and it is their favourite genre of music. However, the best/close friends of mine who like the genre have a bit of a crappy taste in rock music. :P I'll make a list out of my close friends and their music preferences, to avoid confusion:

Friend 1 - Pop-Punk/Emo is their favourite genre of music. Likes bands such as Fall Out Boy, Rise Against, Linkin Park, You Me At Six, 3OH!3, Wolfmother and All Time Low. However, he has a general good knowledge of music, because he is a drummer and he studied music electives throughout high school.

Friend 2 - Also really likes Pop-Punk/Emo, but he at least has a more diverse taste in music. Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco are his two favourite bands, but he also particularly likes the Foo Fighters, David Bowie, Queen and Linkin Park. He has a general appreciation of '80s, '90s and 2000s music. As a result, he likes quite a number of hits from those decades.

For some reason, he also really likes 2000s-style Post Grunge. I've tried to introduce him to bands such as Bush and The Cranberries, but it has been to no avail. He hardly knows anything about hip-hip/rap. I asked him once to name as many rap songs as he could, and the only one he thought of was "Gangsta's Paradise". :P

Friend 3 - Is a general fan of rock music, however he especially loves Cold Chisel/Jimmy Barnes and Nickelback. I always bag him out for liking Nickelback, because he has 10-15 of their songs on USB and he listens to them almost daily. :P

Friend 4 - Isn't a fan of rock at all. He likes Y2K-Era Britney Spears and Lady Gaga. Basically, he doesn't like any songs that were released before the year 2000.

Friend 5. Only ever listens to electronic-music off YouTube. I think he likes 99 Souls; i'm not really familiar with their music.

Four of my friends (one of them I didn't mention above, because I only spoke about my close/best friends) believe that music went downhill in 2010. Unsurprisingly, the four of them all like rock music, which is probably why they have that viewpoint. Rock is my favourite genre as well, however I personally believe music declined in overall quality in 2000/2001. I view the Early '60s-Late '90s as being a golden era for music.