Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Member quarkie68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Soul reaching Greek songs -- Thread 1 *

    Every song that is submitted here is touching. But there are some classics, often forgotten by the masses that are really soul reaching creations and you should have listened to them. Here is one by Mikis Theodorakis, one of our greatest composers and the lyrics written by a chap called Michalis Gkanas. If it has been posted before here (could not see it), I apologize:

    Πως να ξεχάσω

    Απ'τη ζωή μου δε θα βγεις ποτέ,
    ζωή δική μου και ζωή μου δυο φορές,
    χαρά στη λύπη μου και λύπη στις χαρές,
    πώς να ξεχάσω, πώς να ξεχάσω...

    Τα μεγάλα μάτια που με χάιδεψαν,
    τα ζεστά σου χέρια που με άγγιξαν
    και τα τόσα λόγια που δεν πρόλαβα,
    σε βαθύ πηγάδι θα το πω, πόσο σ'αγαπώ.

    Απ'το κορμί μου δε θα βγεις ποτέ,
    δικό μου σώμα και κορμί μου δυο φορές,
    χαρά στον πόνο μου και τραύμα στις χαρές,
    πώς να ξεχάσω, πώς να ξεχάσω...

    Τα μεγάλα μάτια που με χάιδεψαν,
    τα ζεστά σου χέρια που με άγγιξαν
    και τα τόσα λόγια που δεν πρόλαβα,
    σε βαθύ πηγάδι θα το πω, πόσο σ'αγαπώ.

    --------------------------------------------
    Translation (before you ask)

    Πως να ξεχάσω (how to forget)

    Απ'τη ζωή μου δε θα βγεις ποτέ,
    you are never going to get out of my life,

    ζωή δική μου και ζωή μου δυο φορές,
    my own life (you are) and twice life of mine,

    χαρά στη λύπη μου και λύπη στις χαρές,
    joy to my sadness and sadness to my joys

    πώς να ξεχάσω, πώς να ξεχάσω...
    how to forget, how to forget...

    Τα μεγάλα μάτια που με χάιδεψαν,
    the big eyes that caressed me tenderly,

    τα ζεστά σου χέρια που με άγγιξαν
    your warm hands that touched me

    και τα τόσα λόγια που δεν πρόλαβα,
    and all the words that I didn't make it (to say)

    σε βαθύ πηγάδι θα το πω, πόσο σ'αγαπώ.
    I shall voice to a deep well, how much I love you

    Απ'το κορμί μου δε θα βγεις ποτέ,
    You will never get out of my body,

    δικό μου σώμα και κορμί μου δυο φορές,
    oh my own body and body of mine twice

    χαρά στον πόνο μου και τραύμα στις χαρές,
    joy to my pain and wound to my joy,

    πώς να ξεχάσω, πώς να ξεχάσω...
    how to forget, how to forget


    Τα μεγάλα μάτια που με χάιδεψαν,
    the big eyes that caressed me tenderly,

    τα ζεστά σου χέρια που με άγγιξαν
    your warm hands that touched me

    και τα τόσα λόγια που δεν πρόλαβα,
    and all the words that I didn't make it (to say)

    σε βαθύ πηγάδι θα το πω, πόσο σ'αγαπώ.
    I shall voice to a deep well, how much I love you


    ------------------------

    Dedicated to all soul reaching fans of Greek music. Comments are welcome.
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

  2. #2
    Junior Member alison69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Very nice quarkie

    I adore Theodorakis and I last listened to this song a month ago. I like it. I see if I can bring any questions.

    Alison
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

  3. #3
    Junior Member alison69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default "I shall voice to a deep well..."?

    Don't mean to be rude, but could you explain what it means?
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

  4. #4
    Member quarkie68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Hi Alison

    You are very welcome. I 'll do my best to give answers to questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    I adore Theodorakis and I last listened to this song a month ago. I like it. I see if I can bring any questions.

    Alison
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

  5. #5
    Member quarkie68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Hei, no problem! You know when you stand on the top of a deep well and you say something, and the echo amplifies it, making your voice stronger? I guess, that's what the lyrics writer meant, to give emphasis.


    Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    Don't mean to be rude, but could you explain what it means?
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

  6. #6
    Junior Member alison69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Efxaristw lovely quarkie

    OK, I get it so, it should say "I shall scream/shout to a deep well", shouldn't it?
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

  7. #7
    Senior Member tzina772000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 123 Times in 70 Posts

    σε βαθύ πηγάδι θα το πω, πόσο σ'αγαπώ.
    I shall voice to a deep well, how much I love you

    I shall say it to a deep well,....

    Shout it no. In most songs someone in love doesn't shout his/her love,he/she whispers and through deep wells or mountains it becomes stronger(at least I have noticed that in many songs)

  8. #8
    Member quarkie68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Παρακαλώ my dear. Δεν κάνει τίποτα.

    Yes, you could say so. In fact it might be even better, I was just trying to get the translation as close to its original context as possible.


    Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    OK, I get it so, it should say "I shall scream/shout to a deep well", shouldn't it?
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

  9. #9
    Junior Member alison69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Talking Thank you quarkie and tzina

    for your answer. I admit that I was trying to tease quarkie68.
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

  10. #10
    Member quarkie68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Smile Έλααα

    I had a feeling that you did.

    Yeah, I have noticed from your profile, that teasing Greek men is one of your, let's say, specialties. Well, may I ask how did you get to that habit. Do you think that greekmen can easily be teased?

    So, obviously you know some Greek. Noted. You are now in my database.


    Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    for your answer. I admit that I was trying to tease quarkie68.
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

  11. #11
    Junior Member alison69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Smile Erchomai

    Just to clarify quarkie boy, I tease some Greek men, not all of them. I find it amusing.

    Which database is the one you talk about? The one of your "amarties" that you talk in your signature perhaps? LOL !

    I take that it is a comprehensive one. LOL!

    Obviously I need to try harder (to tease you that is).

    Quote Originally Posted by quarkie68 View Post
    I had a feeling that you did.

    Yeah, I have noticed from your profile, that teasing Greek men is one of your, let's say, specialties. Well, may I ask how did you get to that habit. Do you think that greekmen can easily be teased?

    So, obviously you know some Greek. Noted. You are now in my database.
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

  12. #12
    Member quarkie68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default The database and the candidates

    Yes my dear, you need to try harder. I am honoured to be targeted.

    As for the database, no, it's not the one that concerns my sins. To get there you need to try a looot harder. And yes, it is comprehensive enough for me.

    Lovely talking to you. It gives me a buzz.



    Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    Just to clarify quarkie boy, I tease some Greek men, not all of them. I find it amusing.

    Which database is the one you talk about? The one of your "amarties" that you talk in your signature perhaps? LOL !

    I take that it is a comprehensive one. LOL!

    Obviously I need to try harder (to tease you that is).
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

  13. #13
    Senior Member omorfi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    If you need any new Greek to tease in London, let me know!!

    lol
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    weird people these days

  15. #15
    Senior Member omorfi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Karissa69 View Post
    weird people these days
    ....yes?
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

  16. #16
    Junior Member alison69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default You have the right username

    ..."quarkie" sounds just about right for somebody like you. Always with an answer. I #will# try harder.

    BTW, to get back to the point, do you know who sings your selected song? You mention the composer, the lyrics writer, what about the singer. I want the singer(s) as well. Plural cause I think I have heard many performers. I could be wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by quarkie68 View Post
    Yes my dear, you need to try harder. I am honoured to be targeted.

    As for the database, no, it's not the one that concerns my sins. To get there you need to try a looot harder. And yes, it is comprehensive enough for me.

    Lovely talking to you. It gives me a buzz.
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

  17. #17
    Junior Member alison69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Ah, go on then

    give me some hints. I can think of a good use for them!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by omorfi View Post
    If you need any new Greek to tease in London, let me know!!

    lol
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

  18. #18
    Senior Member omorfi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    I know some there.. maybe to young for you maybe? Don't know what you like... but these Greeks love to be teased! hahah
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

  19. #19
    Junior Member alison69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I think the ones you have up there in Oslo are of an unusual and interesting type. The ones down here are fairly manageable .... They tend to give in to the virtues of British life and culture.... Just kidding of course. LOL!

    I like Greeks in general because I get the impression they are not afraid to express their feelings or be direct, unlike others that need to have half a dozen pints before they can relax and be social.

    Their music is even better and the same is true for their food and weather LOL!


    Quote Originally Posted by omorfi View Post
    I know some there.. maybe to young for you maybe? Don't know what you like... but these Greeks love to be teased! hahah
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

  20. #20
    Senior Member omorfi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    I think the ones you have up there in Oslo are of an unusual and interesting type. The ones down here are fairly manageable .... They tend to give in to the virtues of British life and culture.... Just kidding of course. LOL!

    I like Greeks in general because I get the impression they are not afraid to express their feelings or be direct, unlike others that need to have half a dozen pints before they can relax and be social.

    Their music is even better and the same is true for their food and weather LOL!

    I know what you are talking about! Sometimes I wonder if Greeks have any "fears" at all, LOL.

    And the music is so true and genuine, and goes straight to your soul... Not to mention the food... and weather... and surroundings! and history!!

    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Song suggestions: Greek songs you like
    By bogazici86 in forum Greek lyrics translation
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
  2. greek songs downloading
    By tjena in forum Speaking Greek language & chit-chat off-topic discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 11:19 PM
  3. Solved: Greek songs
    By andreea_d in forum Greek lyrics translation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2006, 08:51 AM
  4. @ greek songs needed *
    By Ingalill in forum Greek lyrics translation
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions