SOLVED: Need an expert for an obscure 70s lyric (Annabella/Arrabella)

Thread: SOLVED: Need an expert for an obscure 70s lyric (Annabella/Arrabella)

Tags: None
  1. g7guitarist said:

Default Still unsolved

rod@trackingtime was onto it and he knew the song. There are lots of songs with Annabella but this one is a bit more obscure and probably wont show up in google. Thanks for everybody's help but it is still unresolved as to who it is by....
    Cheers

2. hauntboy said:

Thanks for the interest shown re these songs and, yes, good point, any further searches I will put up on a fresh thread.

Anyway, just to reiterate- I actually have a radio recording on an audio tape of this song and I would safely say it is called "Annabella", going by the repetitions of her name cropping up like they do... or at least with "Annabella" somewhere in the title, it definitely isn't "Annabelle" or "Arrabella."

When I was a schoolboy I used to record stuff from Radio 1, especially during the summer holidays. This song, which I think is called simply "Annabella", was definitely played on Radio 1 at lunchtime in the first week of September, 1973, on the Johnnie Walker Show, I think, and it is a very melodic song and the singer has a gentle, smooth type of voice. I accidentally wiped over it at the time thinking I was recording on the other side. I can 100% positively say that the opening of the song is:

Piano intro...
    Smiling just for show and hoping everyone would go
    So that I could be alone with Annabella
    Nobody can tell, I think I hide it very well
    It's been so long since I last saw Annabella

... the tune is about to go into a middle eight or chorus, but unfortunately that's where I accidentally cut into it. I actually offered it to the original poster, wesmont, but never heard from him.

3. g7guitarist said:

Default Yes That Is It

Quote Originally Posted by hauntboy View Post
    Thanks for the interest shown re these songs and, yes, good point, any further searches I will put up on a fresh thread.

Anyway, just to reiterate- I actually have a radio recording on an audio tape of this song and I would safely say it is called "Annabella", going by the repetitions of her name cropping up like they do... or at least with "Annabella" somewhere in the title, it definitely isn't "Annabelle" or "Arrabella."

When I was a schoolboy I used to record stuff from Radio 1, especially during the summer holidays. This song, which I think is called simply "Annabella", was definitely played on Radio 1 at lunchtime in the first week of September, 1973, on the Johnnie Walker Show, I think, and it is a very melodic song and the singer has a gentle, smooth type of voice. I accidentally wiped over it at the time thinking I was recording on the other side. I can 100% positively say that the opening of the song is:

Piano intro...
    Smiling just for show and hoping everyone would go
    So that I could be alone with Annabella
    Nobody can tell, I think I hide it very well
    It's been so long since I last saw Annabella

... the tune is about to go into a middle eight or chorus, but unfortunately that's where I accidentally cut into it. I actually offered it to the original poster, wesmont, but never heard from him.
    Hi Hauntboy that is most definitely the song, I would love to hear it again, shame you wiped it some of it, do you have it on mp3 per chance?. Do you have any idea who it is by, the date is right too. Thanks for replying as no one seems to know anything about it.
    Cheers
    G7

4. hauntboy said:

Hi G7,

I use a recording studio so if you wanted the 30 odd seconds that I have I could easily get it copied. Sadly I began taping after the artist had been introduced by the DJ, so have no idea who it was. However, I must have known it before to have bothered to start taping just as the piano was about to start. The vocalist sounds a lot like Billy Field and the song is very much in his style, but it was probably a bit before his time and nothing matches with his name. This is Billy Field:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cMer297X_LI

I wrote to some radio DJ's to no avail some years ago asking about the Balcony song on the other thread, so I may just try writing to Johnnie Walker. I think now that it was Stuart Henry's show, but it was probably on quite a few DJ's shows at the time

Hauntboy

5. g7guitarist said:

Yes I think Billy Field may have been too young, I remember it was played repeatedly over a few radio stations, I suppose that is why I can remember so many of the lyrics. If it isn't too much bother I would love to get the 30 seconds you have if poss. Interesting you have a recording studio, I am a professional guitarist in New Zealand. if you get a chance to send it. If I can reciprocate in any way then let me know.
    cheers
    Leigh
    Last edited by g7guitarist; 02-04-2009 at 05:30 PM.

6. hauntboy said:

I don't run the studio, but I use it to record songs as I am a songwriter about to put some songs up on youtube, which will also be under the name I use here - Hauntboy. I am next back on Feb 16th and one of the 1st things I will get the engineer to help me with is to put up the 30 odd seconds of this song on here so you can listen to it.

Hauntboy

7. hauntboy said:

Default Annabella on youtube

I created an mp3 of the Annabella extract, but was unable to upload it onto this forum. However, I have uploaded it onto youtube and the link is below. I also requested a reply from anyone if they recognise it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3N9C3Oli9c

Hauntboy/Pete

8. Kakita said:

At the end of that clip the announcer comments on the group, Erratic (or spurratic) once more. Hope that helps at least.

9. hauntboy said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kakita View Post
    At the end of that clip the announcer comments on the group, Erratic (or spurratic) once more. Hope that helps at least.
    That recording was made about 10 minutes later and is unconnected with the song. The "Annabella" song was near the end of Side A of the cassette and I had not long started Side B, but recorded on the wrong side and over the last 5 minutes or so of Side B. I am sure I went on to record the song in full again on a later cassette, but I had all bar this one cassette stolen from me about a year later.

I have just noticed I put the wrong month on youtube - it should have been September, 1973, not July. I will try to rectify this tomorrow in case it misleads someone who may otherwise have had an idea what the song may be.

10. hauntboy said:

"... and over the last 5 minutes or so of Side A", I should have said - another error!

11. Claybricks said:

Billy Kinsley - Annabella {1973}

I believe this could be your song.

Dan

http://danssongsearch.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Claybricks; 02-19-2009 at 06:48 PM.

12. g7guitarist said:

Default Solved

Quote Originally Posted by hauntboy View Post
    "... and over the last 5 minutes or so of Side A", I should have said - another error!
    Thanks for this Hauntboy, I left you a message on youtube. Also thanks to Dan as that is the artist without question.

Annabella by Billy Kinsley, just got to find it now.

Thanks for solving this everyone.

Cheers

13. hauntboy said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kakita View Post

What it actually is, just for the record, is Stuart giving one of his cryptic musical puzzles which were be revealed, as he states, in 8 days time on his Saturday Show. I thought I'd leave it in as a nostalgic timepiece.

The answer, by the way, must have been Mungo Jerry. Their hits he refers to being "In The Summertime" and "Alright, Alright, Alright", which was currently riding high in the charts when this recording was made - on either Friday, August 31st, 1973 or Friday, September 7th, 1973.

14. hauntboy said:

Default It's for sale on ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by g7guitarist View Post
    Thanks for this Hauntboy, I left you a message on youtube. Also thanks to Dan as that is the artist without question.

Annabella by Billy Kinsley, just got to find it now.

Thanks for solving this everyone.

Cheers
    You can buy it "NOW" for just over £6 (including postage and packing) on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BILLY-KINSLEY-annabella-7-WS-EX-M-uk-epic_W0QQitemZ290267456130QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Re cords?hash=item290267456130&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_ trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A131 8

Best of luck

Hauntboy

15. rainbow17 said:

I was also looking for a song that I *thought* was called Annabella ~ turned out to be Eloisa by Barry Ryan!

16. jp12345 said:

It's on YouTube now.

17. rod@trackingtime.com said:

Default Woo Hoo, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jp12345 View Post
    It's on YouTube now.

Thanks to all concerned, that is the one.

Well done and thanks for a great and friendly site.

Cheers, Rod

18. Musica said:

Default Solved

Quote Originally Posted by wesmont View Post
    When I was a kid in the UK there was a song on the radio around 1970 that they played alot and I can remember the melody and lyrics but for 30 years I have been trying to find the name of it and now every time I hear it in my head it bugs me more.

PLEASE restore my sanity and tell me if you know the artist or title. Here are bits of the lyrics I can remember. This is going to need a real expert. Cheers

Just so I could be alone with Annabella..................many times I tried I couldn't keep it all inside...........Oh Annabella(Arrabella?), there is something in your eyes that makes me want you......... I can't believe she's coming home ....she didn't write but she telephoned etc......
    Billy Kinsley - Annabella

19. 60sChild said:

Annabella by John Walker (Scott's brother) 1967.