Greek house music 2002 or so

Thread: Greek house music 2002 or so

Tags: None
  1. dya said:

Default Greek house music 2002 or so

No, I haven't gone wild! LOL!
    Here's the story: A friend of mine just came over and she asked me to find out some names for her.
    She was in holyday in Greece in 2002. At a disco there was a "Greek house night". She just loved what she heard but, obviously, she has no idea as to who was singing, names, titles, etc.
    All she was able to tell me it was, quote: "it had the house beat but the sound of greek music was there too, so you couldn't have taken that type of music as house from anywhere else but Greece".

As it is not among my favourites, I have no idea about this kind of music(Greece or elsewhere) but in case someone may provide me with some names that used to be played a few years ago, so I could search her some songs, I would really appreaciate.

I know this is kind of a weird request, but as I'm always willing to help my friends no matter how crazy their ideas might be, I thought I may give it a try.

Thank you very much!

tzina772000 said:

Try these dya Goin' Through, Νίκος (Nivo) Βουρλιώτης .Those are the ones that come to my mind right now. But they might be also English songs, sometimes especially during summer dj's do remixes putting Greek sounds in foreign songs.

3. dya said:

Thank you Tzina! I'll find her some songs from Goin' Through and Νίκος Βουρλιώτης. Maybe they sound familiar to her.
    As for the DJs' remixes, that's what I told her, maybe they are international songs remixed by greek DJs but she told me that the words(where there were words) were in greek and no song "hit" her as being intenational in sound.

I'll see what I can find for her.

And now, excuse my ignorance, but aren't Goin' Through singing something more closely to hip-hop? This question is meant to bring some light in my knowledge of music, it's not related to my friend's request.

Thank you again.

tzina772000 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    As for the DJs' remixes, that's what I told her, maybe they are international songs remixed by greek DJs but she told me that the words(where there were words) were in greek and no song "hit" her as being intenational in sound.
    Totally right but sometimes we do that to Arab/Turkish songs also

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    And now, excuse my ignorance, but aren't Goin' Through singing something more closely to hip-hop?
    right again, but they started doing something mixed, meaning not clearly hip-hop not clearly house. I will try to find which were the "hits" of that period, maybe something more will come to me then

omorfi said:

I don't know why, but the first that comes to my mind is "Geia" by Despina Vandi.. I think it was a hit in 2002, maybe 2003. I'm not sure if it fits 100% in the house category though... Anyway just a suggestion Didn't she say if it was the voice of a male or female?
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

6. dya said:

Kalimera!

Tzina, thank you very much for the clarifications and thank you for your promise of trying to find "hits" from that period. But I'm telling you: I don't want you to waste too much time with this. My friend is well aware that she is asking for something very vague and we may not find anything. If she had wanted "great hits" from 2002 I'm sure it would have been easier. But she's looking for songs she listened in a disco, songs that could have been "mixed" right then by the DJ there and made to sound in a certain way.
    If you can provide me with some titles, i'd be very happy, but , again, do not spend too much time on it. Thank you again.

Omorfi, I'm sure "Geia" was there too, but my friend knows Despina Vandi's music and that was not a song she's looking for. And, no, she can't rememebr anything from any song, cause she listened to this kind of music for a few hours during that night and I'm sure there were both male and female voices.

Plus, again, Tzina may be right, maybe they were remixes of songs in another language than english and my friend may have just assumed it's greek.