Need correction!!

Thread: Need correction!!

Tags: None

lesenna said:

Default Need correction!!

Hello my turkish friends! As some of you have already known i am learning turkish or trying to do it for a long time . So i tried to translate the song Hoşgeldin, of Emre Altuğ, as an exercise, but i didn't realize what a hard work!
    So, i am here asking if anyone of you can correct my humble and incomplete job, please I like this song so much.
    Thanks in advance!

Hoşgeldin/Welcome

Yeni tanışmış olsakta/New ?????
    Sanki ben seni çoktandır biliyorum/ I know as if you for a long time*
    Taze aşıklar olsakta/???? fresh lovers
    Her sabah sana çiçek topluyorum/Every morning I collect flowers for you

Seni seviyorum/I love you

Etkilenme ondan bundan/Be touched from her from this (I am not sure about this sentence)
    Kader kısmet belli baştan/Destiny, predestination (are) all over obvious**
    Hoşgeldin bu benim yüreğim/Welcome to this my heart
    İster sığın ister delirir/either ??? or ????***
    Sen seç kendi hayatın/Your life chooses you own
    La la la la

Herkes birşey söyler/Everyone say something
    Sen kalbini dinle/Listen to your heart

* I couldn't find where is the verb in this sentence. I thought it was the word "çoktandır", but it was not what i found in the dictionary. I didn't find where to write the word "ben" (I) in this sentence...
    ** I neither couldn't find the verb in this sentence and the words "kader" and "kısmet" in the dictionary had the same synonym: "fate", "destiny", "predestination"... i don't know if they are correct in the context of this song...
    *** I didn't understand anything in this sentence, specially because of the word "sığın". In the dictionary i found it as its synonyms "moose", "elk" or "fallow deer", those are animals... maybe it is an idiom, i couldn't understand...
    Where i wrote ??? i couldn't found out the meaning in the dictionary...

bogazici86 said:

ok my lesenna. You are quite good but of course you have some mistakes that I will explain you now.
    *"Sanki ben seni çoktandır biliyorum." The verb here is "biliyorum" means "I know." "çoktandır" is an adverb means "for a long time".
    **Kader and kısmet are used instead of each other but kısmet isused for somebody's lot in life. Both meanings can be thought in tihs song's concept.
    ***You confuse the word "sığın" with "sığır" I think. sığır means "cow" but "sığın" is the imperative form of the verb "sığınmak" meaning "to take refuge with somebody" or "to shelter". (I guess to take refuge with his/her heart in this song). ""delirir " or "delir"? delirir isn't a right expression in this sentence, I mean if it's delirir, the sentence will be meaningless. Please control that word and tell me later. I will translate that sentence as if the word is "delir".
    here is the correct translation:
    Hoşgeldin
    Even if we know one another newly
    as if I know you for a long time
    Even if we are new lovers
    Every morning I collect flowers for you (Your translation was perfect in this sentence)
    Seni seviyorum (I love you)

Etkilenme ondan bundan (Don't be affected from other people, ****your translation was true maybe but it was not giving the exact meaning)
    [destiny predestination(or you can say "luck") is obvious from beginning]
    Hoşgeldin, bu benim yüreğim (Welcome, this is my heart)
    If you want take refuge with (my heart) or go mad
    Sen seç,kendi hayatın (Choose by yourself,[this is]your own life)

Everyone says something
    Listen to your heart

I hope my explanations will be helpful. If not, please tell me and ask your question again. I'm very glad seeing you translating turkish songs and you are succesful for your level. Congratulations!
    *Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises-----

lesenna said:

Hi dear Seda! Thanks for your helps and hints!
    Now i got the booklet of his original album and this sentence i've written here before "İster sığın ister delirir" is wrong...
    According to his booklet lyrics the right sentence is
    "İster sığ ister derin"

I think this will change the meaning in the song... What do u think about it? will it be clearer?

bogazici86 said:

Not at all lesennacığım. it's more clear now. "ister sığ ister derin" means "shallow or deep". sığ and derin are adjectives. As you see meaning has changed. Do you want any explanation about anything? Who does this song belong to?
    *Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises-----

lesenna said:

Quote Originally Posted by bogazici86 View Post
    Not at all lesennacığım. it's more clear now. "ister sığ ister derin" means "shallow or deep". sığ and derin are adjectives. As you see meaning has changed. Do you want any explanation about anything? Who does this song belong to?
    Belong to -> Söz & Müzik: Emre Altuğ

Seda mou, actually i have many doubts about turkish language not only related to the lyrics, but to the grammar itself... Thanks for your help here

bogazici86 said:

You're welcome lesenna. As you see I'm always here for help. Always ask questions about grammar,too

lesenna said:

Thanks Seda!
    There is an issue that i still can't understand... Let me tell u the story
    Some days ago i've sent a scrap to a turkish friend and i told him "i am angry with you" and i wrote "seninle kızgınım"... he replied me it was a wrong setence. The correct sentence is "sana kızgınım". So i asked him why is "sana" if "sana" means "for you" or "to you" and "seninle" means "with you". He only replied me: "it is in this way because it is in this way. You must learn it in this way" and nothing more...
    So i remember there was another Emre Altuğ's song, Oynama... and in some moment he sings "Oynama bana" that can mean "Dont play/joke with me", with "bana" as "with me", it is the same case. But i still can't understand why and when i must write "sana" or "bana" instead "seninle" or "benimle", i can't understand the difference between them... If you know how to help me, i'll be very thankful again, arkadaşım!

bogazici86 said:

Your friends's explanation amazed me! hahaha
    Well, if you translate the english saying "I'm angry with you" one by one, you're right on confusing. But If you translate all the things one by one, things get worse and confusing. We don't say "seninle kızgınım" in turkish, I think the word "with" confused you. As I said, don't translate things one by one. The same thing is true for "ölürüm sana", too. We don't say "I die to you" but I die for you". So, we should know the usage of the expression first.
    And emre altuğ's song... "Oynama bana". Here, "oynama" doesn't mean "to play/to joke with sbd". It means "to enact" He wants his girlfriend not to act to him. If he had meant the thing that you thought, he would had said "benimle oynama", "don't play WİTH me". So, they're different things. I hoped I managed to explain. But if you didn't understand, please ask me again, ok?

lesenna said:

Yes, i think i could understand this aspect. As i can read what u said me i can believe it is a verbal govenment case, the syntactical relation between the verb and its prepositions (or postpositions, i think is more common in turkish. Am i right? )... it confuses me a lot coz in portuguese the relation in kizgin example i gave before will be always with "with you", never "to you" or "for you". I think i should forget to speak portuguese whereas i am studying turkish But how will i know when i can use "benimle", "seninle" or "bana", "sana"? Only practising?
    Well, related to Oynama song, i've said about it, coz it was a translation of this song i've found here in this forum before (many months ago), it was written "don't play with me"... so maybe it was a confused translation, i don't know...

bogazici86 said:

nooo, it's not a right translation. I'm sharply sure that it means "don't act to me". It's an expression that is being used for expressing somebody's acting. If he said "benimle oynama", that translation would be correct. Yeah, you're right. Because turkish has lots of additions attached to names, verbs and so on... I'll search for some solutions for your trouble with "benimle, bana, etc..." But the first thing to do is learning the usages and as you said practising It's difficult I know but I'm sure you'll manage it and I'll try my best to find better explanations on this issue...
    Kissing you tatlım