Ekim= October
    Kasım= November
    Aralık= December

MEVSİMLER (SEASONS)
    İlkbahar= Spring
    Yaz= Summer
    Sonbahar= Autumn
    Kış= Winter

Ali: Bugün (günlerden) ne? What day is today?
    Ayşe: (Bugün) Çarşamba. Today is Wednesday.
    Ali: Hangi aydayız? Which month are we in?
    Ayşe: Ağustos ayındayız. We‘re in August.
    Ali: Bugün ayın kaçı? What’s the date today?
    Ayşe: Bugün Ağustos’un biri. It’s the 1st of August.
    *Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises-----

Thanks

Bogazici this is a very nice,useful and applicative thread!!
    Thank you very much! in these first expressions i tried to find how to say: "i dont understand", or "i dont speak turkish"hehe i think you should include these expressions as well.(at least for such beginners like me greetings

(i also would appriciate if someone told me how to say: 'greetings', 'take care' and 'could you repeat' in turkish )

Thanks

'greetings'= merhaba,selamlar
    take care:kendine iyi bak
    'could you repeat' in turkish= tekrar eder misiniz?

Thanks

i dont understand>anlamıyorum
    i didnt understand>anlamadım
    l dont speak turkish>türkçe konuşmuyorum
    i dont know turkish(better)>türkçe bilmiyorum
    can u help me?>bana yardım edebilir misiniz?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bogazici86 View Post
    MINI-DIALOGUE

Ayşe: Merhaba. İsminiz (adınız) nedir? (hello, what's your name?)
    Ali: Merhaba, (benim) ismim (adım) Ali('dir). Sizin isminiz nedir/Ya sizinki? (hello, my name is Ali. And what's your name?/ And yours?)
    Ayşe: (Benim) adım Ayşe('dir). Tanıştığıma memnun oldum. (My name is Ayşe. Nice to meet you.)
    Ali: Ben de. Nasılsınız? (Me, too. How are you?)
    Ayşe: İyiyim, teşekkürler. Siz nasılsınız / Ya siz? (I'm fine, thanks. And you? )
    Ali: Ben de iyiyim, teşekkür ederim. (I'm fine, too. Thank you. )
    Ayşe: İyi günler, hoşçakalın*. (good afternoon, goodbye.)
    Ali: Size de (iyi günler), güle güle**. (the same to you, goodbye.)

*"hoşçakal" is said by the person leaving. "hoşçakalın" is a formal saying here. but if you say it to more than one people, you again use "hoşçakalın". But the above dialogue is a formal dialogue, so Ayşe says "hoşçakalın" even if there's one person.

**"güle güle" is said by the person staying.
    haha i usually say "hoşçakal" to my visitors while they r going... and always my mum warns me.. ""u sould say "güle güle"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turhanbg View Post
    haha i usually say "hoşçakal" to my visitors while they r going... and always my mum warns me.. ""u sould say "güle güle"
    mine does the same:/ she teases always...

thank god, i was born here.i'm sure i couldn't learn turkish if i weren't turk.i read all of seda's writings.however i find that language compicated,even if it's my mother tongue
    Wer freut sich nicht über die Einladung zu einer Hochzeit? Die weite Reise, durch die Karpaten nach Transsilvanien, führt jedoch auf ein geheimnisvolles Schloß.

Thanks

yes when i think of foreign friends ..its very diffucult

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sechkow View Post

thank god, i was born here.i'm sure i couldn't learn turkish if i weren't turk.i read all of seda's writings.however i find that language compicated,even if it's my mother tongue
    heyy if u meant that i learnt turkish as a foreign language. u r wrong. im turk from bulgaria so turkish is our mother tongue althoug we lived in bulgaria.. thats just my fault that i say güle güle or hoşçakal...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turhanbg View Post
    heyy if u meant that i learnt turkish as a foreign language. u r wrong. im turk from bulgaria so turkish is our mother tongue althoug we lived in bulgaria.. thats just my fault that i say güle güle or hoşçakal...
    no i meant the difference between güle güle and hoşcakal. i still dont know what i should say if im going or staying maybe telling nothing is better
    Wer freut sich nicht über die Einladung zu einer Hochzeit? Die weite Reise, durch die Karpaten nach Transsilvanien, führt jedoch auf ein geheimnisvolles Schloß.

lofel

"mother tongue" should be "native language" po-dobre !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alp_er View Post
    yes when i think of foreign friends ..its very diffucult
    Yes, Alp, u and sechkow are both right: turkish is a very very very difficult language... Me as a latin language speaker i know how much turkish is too difficult I think i'll never learn, specially coz i am learning by myself...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sechkow View Post

yeah, you are very lucky coz u were born in Türkiye Coz of language and coz of your country itself
    I love Türkiye but i hate Brazil and Portuguese.... :x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lesenna View Post
    Yes, Alp, u and sechkow are both right: turkish is a very very very difficult language... Me as a latin language speaker i know how much turkish is too difficult I think i'll never learn, specially coz i am learning by myself...
    I think it is difficult also. I am learning because when I go back I don't want to feel lost or left out. I think the hardest part besides the suffixes and etc. is the rhythm of the word... It's especially hard without any turkish people around u. Any suggestions from the native speakers as to how to figure out the stresses and rhythm of words.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lesenna View Post
    but my friend u shoulddnt give up! i'll be always here ,helping you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alp_er View Post
    but my friend u shoulddnt give up! i'll be always here ,helping you
    yes lesenna... i know you are on the right way... i like to see you speak in turkish, it encourages me to learn greek by myself...

Thanks

nata: Thank you so much for your nice words about this thread and me. I tried my best. but because I have no time nowadays, I cannot be online, so add new info
    turhan: I was doing the same thing when I was a child and one of our neighbours warned me but I was still confusing when to say "hoşçakal" and "güle güle"
    and the other friends who learn Turkish: you are right, because Turkish is a complicated and difficult language especially if you don't have any Turkish speakers beside you. But we are trying our bests to help you here. so, go on asking your questions
    *Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises-----

Thanks

alp_er is right. you shouldnt give up. however i cant speak correct sometimes too my english is not good maybe but usually enough to chat, if you need i try to help too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lofel View Post
    "mother tongue" should be "native language" po-dobre !
    haha u r rigth native language is ok. we say "ana dil" in turkish. so mother language smells turkish

Thanks

But I know that it is used as "mother tongue", too. I had taken a linguistic course and we used to use it in this way as well.

Thanks

yes i learnt as 'mother tongue' too

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast