Learning Bulgarian language

Thread: Learning Bulgarian language

Tags: None

crazytofik said:

Umm I wrote for Propel about neuter nouns but in A little bulgarian phrasebook subject ... oops my bad Sorry ...
    София, Пловдив, Варна, Бургас, чалга до дупка - купона е при нас.

2. nickname778 said:

Quote Originally Posted by crazytofik View Post
    Umm I wrote for Propel about neuter nouns but in A little bulgarian phrasebook subject ... oops my bad Sorry ...
    Man, you've learned all of our best practices, I think that you are something like half a bulgarian now. If you are good enough at swearing in bulgarian ( as you said ), I think that you can earn the "title"

tedinkyyy said:

Yep...he really can swear... he's very good at swearing..
    Eins.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Zwei..hier kommt die Sonne
    Drei.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

crazytofik said:

Umm, isn't that "Learning bulgarian subject" topic not "Can Tofik really swear like sh*t for God sake" ? I'd be grateful if someone could write a lesson for Propel about masculine and neuter nouns duh !

5. pierr said:

Hi guys,

Could you translate thse for me please in Cyrillic ? (It doesn't have to be a literal translation; but you get the general idea of what I meant from the English sentences.)

1. The guy locked himself out several times. He had to call a locksmith to come down here.

2. It has a mind of its own.

3. It feels more comfortable on the left side rather than on the right side.

4. Are you left-handed or right-handed ?

5. Did you get a cable for your monitor ?

6. I know very little Bulgarian. I don't know much Bulgarian.

7. I didn't know that.

8. I knew it wouldn't work that way.

9. You can try it and see if it works for you. If not, then give it back to me.

10. People who are meant to be together always find their ways in the end.

What's the difference between "отивам" and "ходя"? And in what context do you specifically use one or the other?
    Last edited by pierr; 06-17-2009 at 10:25 PM.

6. pierr said:

Quote Originally Posted by nickname778 View Post
    Swearing is important part of the "learning bulgarian" task ....
    Oh! really?
    Then teach me some swear words, please.

By the way, what's the Bulgarian translation for "swearing", "swear word(s)" ?

lopatka said:

"Отивам" means "to go" while "Ходя" is more like "to walk" :] "Swearing" is "псуване/ругаене", while "swear word" is "псувня/ругатня".
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

8. nickname778 said:

Hi Pier,

1. The guy locked himself out several times. He had to call a locksmith to come down here.

Човекът се заключи няколко пъти и трябваше да идва ключар за да му отключи.

2. It has a mind of its own.

Своенравен е.

3. It feels more comfortable on the left side rather than on the right side.

По удобно е от лявата страна отколкото от дясната.

4. Are you left-handed or right-handed ?

Левичар или десничар си ?

5. Did you get a cable for your monitor ?

Имаш ли кабел за монитора ?

6. I know very little Bulgarian. I don't know much Bulgarian.

Не разбирам/говоря добре български.

7. I didn't know that.

Не знаех.

8. I knew it wouldn't work that way.

Знаех че няма да сработи така.

9. You can try it and see if it works for you. If not, then give it back to me.

Можеш да пробваш дали няма да ти свърши работа. Ако не стане, ми го върни.

Хората които не са един за друг, накрая винаги се разделят.

About swearing ( it's "псуване", you can see "ругаене" only in the books, but nobody uses it ) it's not that common in bulgarian, and there is always a chance to offend someone, so it's better to be very careful with using swears , but here are some of swears that are common, and are not offensive if you use them in the right context :

When something bad happens, in English you say "F*ck" or "Sh*t", we say "Мамка му". For a example : Some tool get's broken, in english you'll say "Oh, F*ck", in Bulgaria we say "Мамка му"

crazytofik said:

Well ... in poland in that situation we just use kurwa ... xD You hit something -> k***a, you saw something shocking -> o k***a !, you see a prostitute -> k***o i t.n. Mamka mu doesn't mean "his mum" ? Maybe I'm weird but that doesn't sound like english equivalent for "sh*t" or "fu*k" ...

lopatka said:

[QUOTE=nickname778;612506]Hi Pier,

Хората които не са един за друг, накрая винаги се разделят.

About swearing ( it's "псуване", you can see "ругаене" only in the books, but nobody uses it ) it's not that common in bulgarian, and there is always a chance to offend someone, so it's better to be very careful with using swears , but here are some of swears that are common, and are not offensive if you use them in the right context :

QUOTE]

Just a small correction:

The sentence translates into: Хората, които са създадени да бъдат заедно, накрая винаги намират пътя си един към друг. :]

And yes, "Mamka mu" does mean "His mother", but it's the short version of "Mamka mu da e**" which means something like "To f*ck his mother" :} We ordinarely use the short version when we are frustrated with something :]

11. nickname778 said:

[QUOTE=lopatka;612547]
    Quote Originally Posted by nickname778 View Post

The sentence translates into: Хората, които са създадени да бъдат заедно, накрая винаги намират пътя си един към друг. :]

Mamka mu, I'm always making mistakes by oversight in the hurry, this is gonna kill me some day

Quote Originally Posted by lopatka View Post
    And yes, "Mamka mu" does mean "His mother", but it's the short version of "Mamka mu da e**" which means something like "To f*ck his mother" :} We ordinarely use the short version when we are frustrated with something :]
    Yeap we are using shorten versions most of the time, so they have a bad context but on the other hand they are not vulgar, like :

Майната му - in english means "F*ck it/him"
    Майната ти - means something like "Go f*ck yourself"

In bulgarian the most common swears are about the mother, so even mentioning her in bad context without using any vulgar words, is offensive. For example, very common swear :

На майка ти в устата - means "In your mothers mouth", which is very offensive, although it don't have any bad words in it.

12. pierr said:

Thanks guys.

I'm starting to get into the Bulgarian mindset.

crazytofik said:

So many swear words are connected with your mothers, you all have vulgar mothers huh ? xD

lopatka said:

No, we are rather too sensible and respective about our mothers and we can get easily offended if someone says something about them!

PROPEL said:

let me ask this, again because i am still confused. (zashtoto az sum oshte oburkan) - i hope i translated that right
    and this keeps bothering me

this is about the word 'ce' (again)

I dont know when to use it, or its purpose! All i know is this

1.It will always stay by a verb.
    2.'ce' will be infront of the verb if there are other words infront of the verb
    2.'ce' will be behind the verb if the verb is the frst word in the sentence.

thats all i know. (this is what a learning bulgarian book told me)

anyone want to help me out??

crazytofik said:

Yea that's right ... also "ce" will be before/in front of the verb if there is something in front of the "ce" ... umm I don't know how to explain this in english, let's see the example:

Vseki den se miya, kypya se i se oblicham ...
    (vseki den se miya) - vseki den is before the verb so "se" is also before the verb
    (kypya se) - there's nothing before so "se" is after the verb
    (i se oblicham) - there's "i" before the verb so "se" is also before the verb

You can write it in other way:
    Vseki den stavam rano, miya se, kypya se i se oblicham (Everday I wake up early, I clean myself, I take a bath and I wear clothes) [a little stupid sentence but that's just an example] ^^

Understood ?

tedinkyyy said:

Quote Originally Posted by lopatka View Post
    No, we are rather too sensible and respective about our mothers and we can get easily offended if someone says something about them!
    not only we but also macedonians,serbians,croatians,bosnians,montenegri ans,slovenes... we all have the same curses addressed to sb's mother
    Eins.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Zwei..hier kommt die Sonne
    Drei.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

crazytofik said:

Here used to be popular to say Twoja stara (Tvoya stara/your old) meaning your mother to offend that person f.e.

A: Go fu*k yourself
    B: Your mother [I'll fu*k your mother]

A: You b*tch
    B: Your mother [You're mother is a b*tch]

lopatka said:

Instead of "Майка ти/му" "Your/His mother" I sometimes use "Твойта/Ваш'та сметка ...!" which means something like "Your account!" I don't know where it comes from, maybe someone could explain it? :]]

crazytofik said:

Oooh, that's easy, tvoya smetka is normally spoken by bulgarians living in Canada :P That's an equivalent for "mayka mu" xD