Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. dya said:

Traduceri, huh? Asa le zice pe la Ieși?!

Multumesc, dar am baut cafeaua cand era dimineata pe aici pe la Bucuresti Acum ca s-a facut dupa-amiaza, ma pregatesc sa trag pe dreapta putin

mister Xazos said:

Eh, asa-i pe la Iasi.

BTW, eu ma pregatesc sa fac un dus si sa ies la o cafenea cu niste prieteni. Te-as fi invitat, insa cine stie ce amenda ti-au mai dat si politistii aia, sunteti recunoscuti pentru ei . Eu sper intr-un final sa scapi linistita si sa revii la "traduceri".

Numai noi avem limba dulce
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

3. dya said:

Lasă mămică, mergeți voi, tineretul, la cafea ca noi aștia mai liniștiti stăm să mai trebăluim una alta prin casă cu sărbătorile astea

Have fun

mister Xazos said:

Vaaaai !!!
    Mi-ai amintit de maica-mea cind imi zicea asa si ridea de mine !!!

Dar pina la urma cred ca am sa sfirsesc in casa .

Iti salut Bucurestiul
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

mister Xazos said:

Wolver, where are you my friend ? I didn't see you today. :|
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

Cristina said:

Today I've made a revison of all we learned here and I realized that we didn't talk about general rules for the nouns.So,today I will tell some things about the nouns in romanian.

GENDERS AND NUMBERS:

There are three genders in Romanian: masculine, feminine, and neuter and two numbers: singular and plural. Each gender has singular and plural forms. Nouns which end in a consonant or in vowel/semivowel u are mostly masculine or neuter; if they end in ă or a they are usually feminine.
    The general rule for determining a noun's gender relies on the "one-two" test, which consists in inflecting the noun to both the singular and the plural, together with the numbers one and two.

Examples:

Masculine:
    one man-two men
    un bărbat-doi bărbaţi

one child-two children
    un copil-doi copii

Feminine:
    one woman-two women
    o femeie-două femei

one girl-two girls
    o fată-două fete

The Romanian neuter is in form identical to the masculine in the singular, but in the plural has the feminine form.

one chair-two chairs
    un scaun-două scaune

one bed-two beds
    un pat-două paturi

The bad thing is that the plural form is highly irregular with many rules and exceptions. But to have a rule: ending i corresponds generally to masculine nouns, whereas feminine and neuter nouns often end in e.
    But I repeat :there are many exceptions to these rules, each noun has to be learned together with its gender.

CASES

There are five cases in Romanian: nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, and vocative.

The nominative case is the usual form of some parts of the speech such as nouns, adjectives, pronouns and less frequently numerals and participles, and sometimes does not indicate any special relationship with other parts of speech.The nominative case marks the subject of a verb, as opposed to its object or other verb arguments.Basically, it is a noun that is doing something, usually joined with the accusative case.

The accusative case is used to mark the direct object of a transitive verb. The same case is used to indicate duration of time,to indicate direction towards which,in indirect statements.Basically, it is a noun that is having something done to it, usually joined with the Nominative case.

Example:

I see the flower. - Eu văd floarea-> the flower(floarea) is is the direct object of the verb "see".

The genitive case or possessive case is the case that marks a noun as being the possessor of another noun.
    In usual genitival phrases such as "casa omului"(the house of the man), the genitive is only recognized by the specific ending ("-lui" in this example) and no other words are necessary. However, in other situations the genitival article is required, as for example "în câteva camere ale casei" ("in some of the house's rooms').

The dative case is used to indicate the noun to whom something is given. In romanian dative phrases the noun in the dative is doubled by a pronoun.The position of this pronoun in the sentence depends on the mood and tense of the verb.

Example:
    I give a book to [my] friends.-Le dau o carte prientenilor.

The pronoun "le" doubles the noun "prietenilor" without bringing any additional information.

The vocative is less used as it is normally restricted to nouns designating people or other things we can address.

Example:
    And you,Maria?-(Şi) tu,Maria? -The noun "Maria" is in vocativ case.

ARTICLES

Romanian has both indefinite and definite articles. These articles are gender-specific, and decline for case and number.
    The indefinite article (a, an in English) declines thus:

Nominative/Accusative:

masculine
    -singular:un
    -plural:nişte (some)

feminine
    -singular: o
    -plural: nişte (some)

neuter:
    -singular: un
    -plural: nişte

Genitive/Dative:

masculine
    -singular: unui
    -plural: unor

feminine
    -singular: unei
    -plural: unor

neuter:
    -singular:unui
    -plural:unor

The definite article (the in English) is a suffix that forms part of the noun declension.

Examples:

Masculine nouns (singular, nominative/accusative):
    codru - codrul (forest - the forest);
    pom - pomul (tree - the tree);
    frate - fratele (brother - the brother);
    tată - tatăl (father - the father).

Neuter nouns (singular, nominative/accusative):
    teatru - teatrul (theater - the theater);
    loc - locul (place - the place);

Feminine nouns (singular, nominative/accusative):
    casă - casa (house - the house);
    floare - floarea (flower - the flower);
    cutie - cutia (box - the box);
    stea - steaua (star - the star);

There are situations in Romanian when the noun in the genitive requires the presence of the so-called genitival (or possessive) article :

masculine-singular:al
    -plural:ai

feminine-singular:a
    -plural:ale

neuter:-singular:al
    -plural:ale
    Last edited by Cristina; 12-29-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Cristina said:

The house= casa

block of flats=bloc
    floor,level=etaj
    apartment=apartament
    room=camera
    dining-room=sufragerie
    kitchen=bucătărie
    bedroom=dormitor
    bathroom=baie
    balcony=balcon
    lobby,hall=hol
    corridor,passage,hallway=coridor
    garden=grădină

Objects from the room:

door=uşă
    window=fereastră
    wall-perete
    floor=podea
    ceiling=tavan
    carpet=covor
    table=masă
    chair=scaun
    desk=birou
    lamp=lampă
    bed=pat
    closet,cupboard=dulap
    bookcase=bibliotecă
    sofa=canapea
    armchair=fotoliu
    phone=telefon
    tv=televizor
    radio=radio
    pc=calculator
    refrigerator=frigider
    oven=cuptor,aragaz

wolver99 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sosollikos View Post
    Wolver, where are you my friend ? I didn't see you today. :|
    Oh, I'm around, Soso, just got sidetracked by unexpected holiday guests and then slammed by extra work at my job.

Hopefully I'll get back on course over the next few days. But January & the first part of February will be a busy time for me at work.

Thanks for asking.

wolver99 said:

Cristina, your lesson on GENDER & NUMBERS is excellent! It is very helpful the way that you include examples, it helps me, and probably some others, a lot in understanding the information and we can use it right away.

But, a couple of quick questions, is there a Romanian term for 'feedback' of the audio kind? Especially the unpleasant kind caused when a guitar amplifier and microphone starts feeding back? Or sound speakers?

Also, do you have some version of St. Valentine's Day in Romania like we have here in the U.S.?

TIA

10. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by wolver99 View Post
    But, a couple of quick questions, is there a Romanian term for 'feedback' of the audio kind? Especially the unpleasant kind caused when a guitar amplifier and microphone starts feeding back? Or sound speakers?
    I believe that refers to the case when something is heard with some kind of a weird echo. If that's what you ask, then we simply call it echo=ecou.
    The expression would be(if you hear the other person with this effect): Te aud cu ecou
    If you hear yourself (which I personally find very annoying especially on the phone, because I can't concentrate on what I was saying!! LOL) you say: Mă aud cu ecou.

Quote Originally Posted by wolver99 View Post
    Also, do you have some version of St. Valentine's Day in Romania like we have here in the U.S.?
    Yes, we do and we have an entire "campaign" to promote this versus your Valentine's day! Due to massive imports from your culture( via movies) we are making a big deal today on Valentine's Day, which speaking from a strictly cultural point of view is not our holiday but somehow it sells all right around here.

Our version of Valentine's Day is an old holiday celebrated on 24th of February. It's called Dragobete. Brief history/mythology: Dragobete is the Romanian "equivalent" of Eros/Cupid and is seen as a young, handsome, restless, naughty, etc man said to be the protector of the love of those who met on his day, and their love will last for the entire year.

The significance of this day seems to also be related to the coming of spring. The end of February means also the coming of spring, the nature comes back to life, animals and birds start to mate thus the connection to love. Basically everything comes back to life, love first!

There are/were all kind of traditions associated with this day, but I don't know if you're interested so I'll stop here

Cristina said:

The family= familia

parents=părinţii
    father= tată
    mother=mamă
    brother=frate
    sister=soră
    grandfather=bunic
    grandmother=bunică
    cousin (for a male)=văr or verişor (it is a diminutive but we use this form
    frequently)
    cousin (for a female)=vară or verişoară
    uncle-unchi
    aunt-matuşă
    nephew,grandson=nepot
    niece,granddaughter=nepoată
    son=fiu
    daughter=fiică
    husband=soţ
    wife=soţie
    fiancé (for a man)=logodnic
    fiancée=logodnica
    married (for a man)=căsătorit
    married (for a woman)=căsătorită
    bachelor=celibatar,burlac,necăsătorit or simple singur
    bachelotte= necăsătorită
    divorcee (for a man)=divorţat
    divorcee (for a woman)=divorţată
    widower=văduv
    widow=văduvă
    get married=a se căsători
    in love (for a man)=indragostit
    in love (for a woman)=indragostită

wolver99 said:

dya multumesc [pentru] the information about Dragobete, I had no idea...but now I can send cards for both holidays--St Valentine's Day, and the Romanian version--to some of my friends.

I don't think I asked the question about the word for feedback in the best way, I happened to be speaking with a friend on webcam when her microphone began feeding back and she didn't seem to think I was using the correct Romanian word for the shrieky-to-distorted-hum that was occuring...maybe I need to find an audio sample for someone to listen to in order to see whether there is in fact a specifically Romanian word--rather than simply 'feedback'--for this phenomenon (the use of which in their music was something of a trademark for such bands & performers, at one time, as The Who and Jimi Hendrix).

Now, a handful of new (colloquial?) expressions has cropped up which I would like to, once again, find the Romanian equivalents for, if I may...

1) guardian angel

2) at least (in such sentences as for example: We will make at least one hundred dollars for that job; or, Could you at least tell me what you think of the idea?)

3) humoring me/them/him/her---in the sense of: I think you are just humoring me (also, is there a best way to include that concept of 'just,' as a synonym for 'only' or 'merely,' when speaking Romanian? More than one friend has expressed puzzlement at its meaning & usage in the English; thanks)

4) How can you say that!? or, more neutrally (ie without the tone of indignation or hurt), Why do you say that? (with emphasis on 'that' in the sense of 'that, rather than some other thing'...

5) hard to believe, as in: I find that very hard to believe...Also, this word 'hard' as a synonym for 'difficult' rather than hard like stone is hard or wet cement eventually hardens,eg: That is somewhat hard to understand.

6) When I look up the word for 'information' in the English/Romanian dictionary, I find that it seems to be plural in form (from what little I know of this in your limba): informatii. How then do you write or say 'the information' or 'Thank you for that information' using the various rules for making the 'article' form of a word which, compared to something like 'muntii' for munte, for instance, looks perhaps trickier than it is to someone who is a beginner like me?

7) sheepskin; as in I bought her a sheepskin hat (or, perhaps, a hat made of sheepskin)

Thank you in advance (and how do you say 'in advance' in Ro? )

13. dya said:

Ok! Let's start answering your questions.

First of all I give up on the feedback thing for now. I'll have to do some research on the phenomenon itself, because the problem is momentarily with me: i'm not sure I know exactly how it sounds/what it means/how it manifests, therefore I'm not able to give you the Romanian word for it.

Now, the rest:

1. guardian angel--înger păzitor.
    Angel-- Înger
    to guard--a păzi
    guardian(as in a person who guards a place, for example)--paznic
    BUT in the expression guardian angel the word used is păzitor.

2) at least
    We have a specific word: măcar. But in many contexts we can use the same expression as in english: cel puțin--at least

We will make at least one hundred dollars for that job--Facem măcar o sută de dolari pentru treaba asta?

Could you at least tell me what you think of the idea?--Poți măcar sa-mi spui ce crezi despre idee? OR Poți cel puțin să-mi spui ce crezi despre idee?

3) humoring me/them/him/her-- I think you are just humoring me-- if this means I think you are saying things just to please me, then the Romanian expression is "a face pe plac"
    "Îmi faci pe plac"--You're doing things the way you know I want/like/etc. Usually it's about actions not words. It's used when you do things in a certain way rather than when you say things in a certain way.

About "just". The Romanian word is "doar". In a sentence like: "I just wanted to ask you something" the translation would be: "Am vrut doar să te întreb ceva"

4) How can you say that!?-- Cum poți să spui asta?!
    Why do you say that?-- De ce spui asta?
    asta reproduces the exact meaning you refered to

5)hard to believe--greu de crezut
    I find that very hard to believe...-Mi s-a părut greu de crezut...

Also, this word 'hard' as a synonym for 'difficult'
    In Romanian the word "greu" is used both to express something difficult to do and to talk about something heavy.
    --difficult exercise--exercițiu greu
    --heavy luggage--bagaj greu
    In these two cases it functions as an adjective. Incidentally, as an adverb it looks exactly the same :
    --he learns with difficulties-- el învață greu
    --The book weighs heavily in my bag--Cartea atârnă greu în geanta mea
    But as an adverb it also gets a new meaning:
    --Time passes by slowly when you're waiting-- Timpul trece greu când aștepti (here greu has to do with duration, with things happening in a slowly way)

And finally, we do have the word dificil for difficult and we do use it, but greu is handier. Oh, and dificil behaves like greu: it looks the same as adjective and as adverb but it's only used for the meanings of difficult and slow. Not for heavy.

6) How then do you write or say 'the information' or 'Thank you for that information'

In romanian the word information is countable: informație-informații. According to the rules, nouns ending in -ie in the sg. turn to - ii in the plural. Other examples:
    stație-stații (station)
    plantație-plantații (plantation)
    intonație-intonații (intonation)
    meditație-meditații (meditation)
    incantație-incantații (incantation)
    congregație-congregații (congregation)

See a pattern? Usually words ended in -ație in Romanian end in -ation in English. I say usually not always.

Thank you in advance (and how do you say 'in advance' in Ro?)
    Cu plăcere And "in advance" you say " în avans".

wolver99 said:

Ah, thanks dya. Lots of new informatie (?) to work on this evening.

"............................
    See a pattern? Usually words ended in -ație in Romanian...
    ..........................."

Sure, desigur, I guess part of the problem is that the word for 'information' was given as 'informatii' in all 3 dictionaries I checked (and double-checked after reading your explanation), not 'informatie,' for example:

http://www.dictionare.com/english/dictionary.htm

information:
    ~ s informaţii f; noutăţi f

Thanks again.

Okay, in my next post I will be asking more serious stuff. Your note in that other thread about the difference between translating word for word as opposed to translating in order to bring out the lyrical expressiveness (paraphrasing you here) spun my intended questions in a quite different direction and I have them just about ready for posting now.

It will be Part 1 of a series, of course---lol. But seriously, I hope to be able to really make myself understood, at least to a point (& without a dependence on using English as a crutch), in speaking your language, I hope by the end of February. I will be working hard everyday in order to reach this first modest goal.

I think next week I'll be making my first real attempts at writing actual Romanian sentences...for your inspection & (most likely abundant) corrections & tips.

About 'feedback' in the sense that I was trying to inquire---

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/feedback

The relevant entries would be these (particularly #3):

1: the return to the input of a part of the output of a machine, system, or process (as for producing changes in an electronic circuit that improve performance or in an automatic control device that provide self-corrective action)

3: a rumbling, whining, or whistling sound resulting from an amplified or broadcast signal (as music or speech) that has been returned as input and retransmitted

Fwiw, synonyms for such feedback would be noise, or distortion; not necessarily accompanied by an echo that I've ever heard or read.

Multumesc, si pe curand.

(p.s. What software do some of you use in order to display the proper diacritical marks in your posts? I've been wondering this for awhile but keep forgetting to ask. Multumesc---in avans.
    Last edited by wolver99; 01-10-2008 at 07:24 PM.

15. dya said:

Ok, first about feedback. In this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxzLUaIXUtM
    Feedback is the sound that is almost constantly heard throughout the ... hmm.. "performance" ? Or is it the other one, the sharp, deafening, annoying one that he's doing every 30 seconds?

Now, for information. The english term "information" will always be translated with the plural word in Romanian. Because the english one is a plural in meaning. And because english doesn't have a singular term for "information", you won't find it in a regular dictionary. A serious dictionary would have an entry for the term "informație" which in english would be "a piece of information".

You said :Lots of new informatie (?)
    No. Informație is singular, it means only one, let's say "new thing". You were talking about lots of "new things", therefore plural, therefore informații.

Maybe a context is of help.
    Let's say you need to make a report about a house. You know the location, the dimension, the age, etc, but you don't know the price. You can't write the report without the price. So the price is not "information" for you, it's a piece of information. You'd say:
    This piece of information is exactly what I needed to complete my report. ---Această informație este exact ce-mi lipsea ca să completez raportul.

But, when you start preparing the report you need "information" about the house: location, dimension, age, price, etc. So not one but more things.
    I need information about this house in order to write the report--Am nevoie de informații despre această casă pentru a putea scrie raportul.

As for the list of questions: I'm waiting

(p.s. What software do some of you use in order to display the proper diacritical marks in your posts? I've been wondering this for awhile but keep forgetting to ask. Multumesc---in avans.
    Have no idea about this! I'll have to ask.

mister Xazos said:

Wolver, to write with Romanian letters you must switch your keyboard into Romanian (ALT+SHIFT and to add Romanian)
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

wolver99 said:

1) Yes, yet one more delay in my attempt to sort out my more serious study questions about the language---because I happened upon a treasure trove of new sources, including contemporary poems & stories written in Romanian and even a Romanian Bible (I hope the translation is in modern Romanian, still checking on that). But believe me, the questions are coming...

2) Still trying to figure out what download I need for the diacritical marks; or how to set my keyboard to respond that way when I hit alt + shift. All the characters seem to be present in Word but those only work directly in a Word document, otherwise one must copy & paste in a very roundabout way for things like typing in discussion boards.

3) dya can you recommend a "serious" dictionary? I don't find one anywhere in the area where I live but maybe I can find one on Amazon or something and order it? Will a "serious" dictionary include lots of Romanian synonyms, or will I need a Romanian thesaurus for that?

4) the type of feedback I had in mind is the sound heard about every 30 seconds in the YouTube example. That's what my friend's microphone was doing at the time referred to earlier.

5) Someone has told me I should forget about Dragobete and focus on Martisor because some Romanians have never heard of Dragobete. Is this correct?

6) So what does 'noutăţi' mean in relation to informatie vs informatii?

7) I am just about to mail a St. Valentine's Day card (I will send something for both Dragobete & Martisor also but I'm not quite sure what that might be as yet), could someone please give me a translation of what's on the inside, I want to be sure it is right:

Who needs candy, when you have sweet, adorable me?

(Btw, the front of the card explains that it has been sent by the recipient's family cat; my friend loves her cat dearly, hence this particular card)

Thanks. Now, on to my first set of questions...

18. watashi_wa_mae said:

Default Thanks + Intro

This is amazing! A great community here for those of us who want to learn the amazing language of Romanian!

My Great-Grandmother came to the US when she was 16 and my Father had an opportunity to visit Romania when he was in 6th grade with his family. I've never had the chance to learn much about that part of my heritage and now that I'm 22 years old (but mentally 8 haha) I've been trying to learning more about Romania. It was the few Romanian music videos I found on YouTube that drew me into this wonderful site! And I'm still in awe at the beauty of the lyrics and the sound of the language (suddenly I can't stand American music lol)! So this opportunity to learn Romania is great! Thank you to all of you who are putting so much information and explanation up here for us!

I've taken 2 years of German when I was in high school but sadly I forgot nearly all of it. But I will say that I can still remember how to count in German and say "I have a dog. His name is Buddy. I speak a little German." lol And I see a lot of similarity to German grammar thus far with the gender version of words. But with every language there are their own interpretations and differences.

My major is International Studies because of my love of learning about foreign cultures and languages! And now that I'm in University I've taken up the Japanese language. Its required for my major to study abroad, so I lived in Japan for 8 months. I'm not fluent but I can help with any questions about Japan and Japanese! Hopefully if I can work in Japan through JET for a few years I'll have saved up enough money to take a month or so traveling around Romania. Well, that's my goal at least. Finding this forum has reignited my interest to learn about Romania and someday find my family that's still living there!

. . . .

Umm... That was a long response, I apologize. I wanted to introduce myself but didn't know the right place to do that. Not to mention I'm on a bit of a natural high since I'm so eager to learn. Sadly I'm a bit of a slow learner but your explanations are easy to follow and understand. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you very much and I hope to do my best from your teaching! XD;;

P.S. Some of my favorite Romanian musicians are:
    * Activ (Zile cu Tine)
    * Voltaj (Si Ce? & Pata Pe Tine)
    * Morandi (Angels)
    * Alexandra Ungureanu & Crush (Aprinde Dragostea)
    * Cleopatra Stratan (Ghita - too cute)
    Then again I only have 13 Romanian songs so my selection is a bit small haha!

19. dya said:

Wolver, your questions will get answers in a few hours case right now I have to go

Watashi wa mae, welcome to the forum WE're glad you find ths place helpful and friendly. As for the learning part..stay around

More when I come back

Cristina said:

Quote Originally Posted by watashi_wa_mae View Post
    This is amazing! A great community here for those of us who want to learn the amazing language of Romanian!

My Great-Grandmother came to the US when she was 16 and my Father had an opportunity to visit Romania when he was in 6th grade with his family. I've never had the chance to learn much about that part of my heritage and now that I'm 22 years old (but mentally 8 haha) I've been trying to learning more about Romania. It was the few Romanian music videos I found on YouTube that drew me into this wonderful site! And I'm still in awe at the beauty of the lyrics and the sound of the language (suddenly I can't stand American music lol)! So this opportunity to learn Romania is great! Thank you to all of you who are putting so much information and explanation up here for us!

I've taken 2 years of German when I was in high school but sadly I forgot nearly all of it. But I will say that I can still remember how to count in German and say "I have a dog. His name is Buddy. I speak a little German." lol And I see a lot of similarity to German grammar thus far with the gender version of words. But with every language there are their own interpretations and differences.

My major is International Studies because of my love of learning about foreign cultures and languages! And now that I'm in University I've taken up the Japanese language. Its required for my major to study abroad, so I lived in Japan for 8 months. I'm not fluent but I can help with any questions about Japan and Japanese! Hopefully if I can work in Japan through JET for a few years I'll have saved up enough money to take a month or so traveling around Romania. Well, that's my goal at least. Finding this forum has reignited my interest to learn about Romania and someday find my family that's still living there!

. . . .

Umm... That was a long response, I apologize. I wanted to introduce myself but didn't know the right place to do that. Not to mention I'm on a bit of a natural high since I'm so eager to learn. Sadly I'm a bit of a slow learner but your explanations are easy to follow and understand. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you very much and I hope to do my best from your teaching! XD;;

P.S. Some of my favorite Romanian musicians are:
    * Activ (Zile cu Tine)
    * Voltaj (Si Ce? & Pata Pe Tine)
    * Morandi (Angels)
    * Alexandra Ungureanu & Crush (Aprinde Dragostea)
    * Cleopatra Stratan (Ghita - too cute)
    Then again I only have 13 Romanian songs so my selection is a bit small haha!
    Hey there! Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum!