Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

dragonfly93 said:

I was using a (horrible) offline dictionary with no examples of translations, and came up with so many meanings of «față»... What are its most common uses, and how can it be used as such (I understand față de masă is a tablecloth, but there are other ways in which to use this word, and how is it used on its own without being in an expression?)...? Mulțumesc foarte mult!!
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

christiana said:

you can use the word «față» without being in an expression like that : << ce față ai !>> for exemple when some one wakes up with a bad face or didn't sleeping good or also <<Ea are o față curată ( She have a clean face)>>

dragonfly93 said:

When you want to say you live somewhere, do you say "locuiesc īn" or "locuiesc din"?

Mersi

baby_girl_ said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    When you want to say you live somewhere, do you say "locuiesc īn" or "locuiesc din"?

Mersi
    "Locuiesc īn"

mike123 said:

Hello all

I have a pronunciation question: What is the proper way to pronounce "sunt"? It is pronounced as "sīnt", "sunt" or differently?

Mersi!
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decāt răspunsul.

Dvid said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    Hello all

I have a pronunciation question: What is the proper way to pronounce "sunt"? It is pronounced as "sīnt", "sunt" or differently?

Mersi!
    What I've heard is that sunt is pronounced like "Sint". As an example go to:

http://www.romanianlessons.com/Lesson2.htm

and hear the clip of "Ei sunt aici" (They are here)

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    Hello all

Mersi!
    I believe that "sīnt" goes along with saying "cīnd" and "mīine" instead of "cānd" and "māine," so from what I've heard and read, "sīnt" is like the old way of saying it and "sunt" is the 'newer' way, but I'm pretty sure either is acceptable.

Also I think "sīnt" is still used in Moldova.
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avģe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

8. Lady_A said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    I believe that "sīnt" goes along with saying "cīnd" and "mīine" instead of "cānd" and "māine," so from what I've heard and read, "sīnt" is like the old way of saying it and "sunt" is the 'newer' way, but I'm pretty sure either is acceptable.

Also I think "sīnt" is still used in Moldova.
    Actually, the rule I know is: writing "sunt" and saying "sīnt".

You will rarely hear people say "sunt", but you will always see "sunt" in written texts.
    Last edited by Lady_A; 06-02-2010 at 04:27 AM.

dragonfly93 said:

I have heard "sunt" pronounced both as "sīnt" and "sunt", but I'm not sure if one's more common. There is a difference between the pronunciations of "ī" and "u", though.

10. Lady_A said:

I have heard "sunt" pronounced both as "sīnt" and "sunt", but I'm not sure if one's more common. There is a difference between the pronunciations of "ī" and "u", though.
    I assure you "sīnt" is more common in the spoken language.

11. teresa208 said:

how would you write these phrases in ro?
    -that's what i meant to say
    -i have learned from friends
    -let's be friends
    thx

kmmy said:

-that's what i meant to say = asta am vrut să spun
    -i have learned from friends = am īnvăţat de la prieteni
    -let's be friends = hai să fim prieteni

kutekito said:

Smile Free Lessons Online

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but I found a great website for people who want to learn Romanian (and other languages). It's http://www.livemocha.com
    and it's good for beginners all the way to more advanced speakers. The classes are free and from what I've seen pretty good. You can also chat with people on there to practice.

mike123 said:

livemocha is very good! I've made some nice aquaintences from the site.

dragonfly93 said:

Yes, it's great, but I do the exact opposite of you, Mike. Instead of meeting people, I bring my own acquaintances!!

mike123 said:

Yes, it's great, but I do the exact opposite of you, Mike. Instead of meeting people, I bring my own acquaintances!!
    That works just as well dragonfly!!

NNA for life said:

Yep livemocha is great also
    ------>Kaal ho na ho<------
    ------>Lebnan ya 2it3it sama<------
    ------>La 2ilaha 2illa allah<------

18. rudaire said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_A View Post
    I assure you "sīnt" is more common in the spoken language.
    I was taught that even though the spelling changed from sīnt to sunt when the ī-ā-ī rule was adopted, that people were told they should still pronounce the word like sīnt (even though the spelling would suggest otherwise.) I was also told that the newer generations of people either ignore this advice, or possibly were never even taught this, and as such pronounce what they see, which is sunt..

As an aside, I just returned from romania last week. It was the first time I visited. I was blown away by everything I saw. I visited Peleș, Corvinești, and Bran castles. Biertan fortified church. Black church. Sibiu, Sinaia, Brașov, Hunedoara, Cluj-Napoca, Vișeu de Sus, Ploiești, Bușteni, and București. I took a telecabina and went hiking past Babele almost to Caraiman Cross, above the cloudline and it looked like I was walking through a witches cauldron. I took a steam locomotive along the Vasser river up into the woods. Went to several nice restaurants and a couple of clubs in București. Rode a free bicycle around Lake Herăustru for a bit, as well as took a boat ride there. Toured Palatal Poporului, which was actually quite amazing, even just after touring Versailles in France prior to coming to romania.

What a beautiful country you have over there...

Can't wait to return..

dave

dragonfly93 said:

Wow, you're so lucky!!!

I had another question... When should you use the infinitive of a verb (e.g. a vorbi) versus the shortened infinitive (vorbi) and the conjunctive (să vorbesc, etc.)?

20. rudaire said:

Wow, you're so lucky!!!

I had another question... When should you use the infinitive of a verb (e.g. a vorbi) versus the shortened infinitive (vorbi) and the conjunctive (să vorbesc, etc.)?

The full infinitive "a vorbi" is sometimes used, and I've forgotten exactly when, but I believe it is used after 'de'. Like "arta de a vorbi" The art of speaking.. Etc..

The infinitive without the 'a' is used frequently. Both after conjugated forms of a putea, like pot vorbi, poţi vorbi, putem vorbi, meaning I can speak, you can speak, we can speak...

and

in negative imperative constructions in singular, like when you instruct one person (informal) to not speak-- "nu vorbi" Don't speak!

Now those conjunctive forms can be also used after conjugated forms of a putea, with exactly the same meaning " pot să vorbesc, poţi să vorbeşti, putem să vorbim", same meanings as above

And any other form that requires a conjunctive construction..

Te rog să vorbeşti. Please speak, or literally I pray you to speak.

Trebuie să vorbeşti. You must speak, you have to speak

Vreau să vorbesc. I want to speak

Vreau să vorbeşti. I want you to speak.

Vreau ca David să vorbească. I want David to speak, and strangely the ca must be there. Even in the sentence before this one, if you want to add 'tu' to stress 'you' you must then add ca.

Vreau ca tu să vorbeşti. I want YOU to speak..

Să vorbim!/Hai să vorbim! Come on... Let's speak!

Să vorbească David. Let David speak. (I think, I'm reaching the end of my knowledge here..)

Those are just some examples of conjunctive uses..

dave