Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. dya said:

Default Learning Romanian language

I would like this to be the thread where everybody who wants to learn Romanian to ask their questions about the language.

This way, all the explanations will be in one place and it will be easy for those who want to learn(or to revise what they learnt) to find everything in here.

My suggestion is not to post songs in this thread because the translations will be difficult to find by other members. It's better to open a new thread for every song you want to have translated. This way, everybody will see it and we won't bump into situations when someone asks for the translation of a song that was already translated.

I could start this thread by giving you a few usual words/expressions, but you have to help me with your questions for the rest.

Romanian grammar is not exactly an easy one and I don't know if it's a good idea to start writing everything about it in here.

Maybe you'll find it more useful to just ask what you want to know, and according to your questions I will present the respective issue on the whole

2. dya said:

For those of you who are still at the very beggining, I want to tell you about the letters/sounds we have in Romanian but which are not to be found in English, for example. You'll bump into this letters/sounds really frequently and maybe you want to know how to pronounce them

ă-- this sound is pronounced as "e" in mother, father. It's also known as the sound one makes when he/she doesn't know the answer to a question

î/â- these two letters are the representation of the same sound. î is found (in writing) only as the very first or the very last letter in a word. If it is in the middle of the word, it's written â Quite difficult to explain its pronounciation: imagine you have to pronounce uh in english as if you see something you don't like. Now cut the "h" sound out of that and you'll remain with something close to the actual pronounciation of the word in Romanian.

ș--- these is pronounced like the group of letters sh in mushroom.

ț-- this sound does not exist in English. For those of you familiar with Greek language, it is to be read as tz. For those who are not familiar with Greek: try to proonounce T+Z very quickly as to make it one sound. You'll get pretty close of the actual pronounciation.

Now that you know the rules, listen to some Romanian songs and try to ideantify these sounds as they are pronounced by the singers.

One negative aspect is that many times you'll find texts written without the diacritics so you'll find a, i, s, t instead of ă, î, ș ,ț . But in time, once you get used to the language, you'll be able to tell which is which even if they are written the same
    Last edited by dya; 08-06-2007 at 09:34 AM.

3. dya said:

First words to know:

Bună- Hi/Hello
    Salut-Hi/ Hello
    Bună dimineața- Good morning
    Bună ziua- Good day
    Bună seara- Good evening
    Noapte Bună- Good night
    La revedere- Good bye
    Pa- Bye( informal)

Te rog- please
    Mulțumesc- Thank you
    Cu plăcere- You're welcome

Cine- Who
    Ce- what
    Unde- Where
    Când- When
    De ce- Why
    Cum- How

mister Xazos said:

Waw ! Good job Dya .
    Well, it's a wonderful idea to start teaching the people Romanian (all those who want); but I still think If we shouldn't let them to decide If they want us to post here lessons or questions ? But... Maybe some of them don't have from where to learn, so I say the bouth options.
    Good Luck Dya ! You'll need it ; 'cause our language is a little or more difficult. And of course to those who'll help Dya (I make part too )
    I'll start to post, but to see what
    Kisses. / Pupici.

5. dya said:

That's exactly what I said: those who want to learn should post their questions in here. It's far easier and useful for everybody to approach things this way.

What I wrote in the last two posts with dicritics and most common words/expressions was meant to be easily found by everybody because it is written on the first page of the thread. This way everybody opening this thread will find these things right away.

Thank you for the offer for help. I'll remember that!

mister Xazos said:

Dya, din cate stiam eu, "sh-ul" romanesc este ilustrat in limba greaca prin "TS", iar grecescul "TZ" apare in limba romana ca "Dz". Ma insel ? :-s

7. dya said:

Neata
    ș-ul nostru nu apare in limba greaca, ei nu au sunete tari. Apare in dialectul cipriot, unde spre exemplu Anna Vissi se citeste oarecum Ana Viși.

Cu TZ ai dreptate, dar pentru cine invata romana si habar n-are cum se pronunta ț-ul, este totusi un inceput. Ulterior, ascultand diverse cantece or sa "prinda" pronunctia corecta.

mister Xazos said:

Dya, vroiam sa zic "Tz-ul rominesc". Imi cer scuze... M-a luatpe moment o durere de cao insuportabila. Am uitat sa imi iau antibioticele...
    merci mult pt cantec. :*
    Ma duc sa ma culc... de abia mai vad... :-< sarumina inca o data ><
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

mister Xazos said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Bine faci, bine gasesti.
    = You do good, you find good.

* Cand pisica nu-i acasa,joaca soarecii pe masa.
    = When the cat isn't at home, the mice dance on the table.

* Nu iese fum fara foc.
    = There's no smoke without fire.

* Cine alearga dupa doi iepuri nu prinde nici unul.
    = Who runs after two rabbits doesn't catch any.

* Cine rade la urma rade mai bine.
    = Who laughs last, laughs better.

* Intreaba si ti se va raspunde.
    = Ask and you will be answered

* Mai bine mai tarziu decat niciodata.
    = Better later than never.

* Nu lasa pe maine ce poti face astazi.
    = Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today.

* Pe-o ureche intra si pe alta iese.
    = It enters through one ear and it exits through the other.

--------------------------------------
    Hi everyone. I post some proverbs here. I'll soon get bigger our Romanian lessons. Take care
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

mister Xazos said:

The numbers in Romanian Language:
    1: unu
    2: doi
    3: trei
    4: patru
    5: cinci
    6: şase
    7: şapte
    8: opt
    9: nouă
    10: zece
    11: unsprezece
    12: doisprezece / douăsprezece
    13: treisprezece
    14: paisprezece
    15: cincisprezece
    16: şaisprezece
    17: şaptesprezece
    18: optsprezece
    19: nouăsprezece
    20: douăzeci
    21: douăzeci şi unu
    ........*
    29: douăzeci şi nouă
    30: treizeci
    31: treizeci şi unu
    40: patruzeci
    41atruzeci şi unu
    50: cincizeci
    60: şaizeci
    70: şaptezeci
    80: optzeci
    90: nouăzeci
    100: o sută
    101: o sută unu
    110: o sută zece
    111: o sută unsprezece
    200: două sute
    1000: o mie
    1001: o mie unu
    1010: o mie zece
    1100: o mie o sută
    1111: o mie o sută unsprezece
    2000: două mii
    10.000: zece mii
    100.000: o sută de mii
    1.000.000: un milion

You saw there * that Romanian numerals form with the conjunction "şi". All the numerals for like that, except the numerals like 1100, 1010, like that.
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

mister Xazos said:

Well, I saw up the alphabet written by Dya, but I guess she forgot the write some group of letters, or she thought to take you easier than me (haha). I'll write again with the groups too.
    A a
    Ă ă =Britanic English "first"
    &#194; &#226; ="roses"
    B b ="ball"
    C c ="cat"
    D d ="door"
    E e ="merry"
    F f = "flag"
    G g ="goat"
    H h ="house"
    I i ="machine"
    &#206; &#238; (i with circumflex) = e in "roses"
    J j ="treasure"
    K k ="like"
    L l ="lamp"
    M m ="mouth"
    N n ="north"
    O o ="floor"
    P p ="post"
    Q q ="kettle"
    R r =(trilled r)
    S s ="song"
    Ş ş (s with comma) = s in "sugar"
    T t ="tip"
    Ţ ţ (t with comma) zz in "pizza"
    U u ="group"
    V v = in "vision"
    W w =in "vision"
    X x = in "six"
    Z z =in "zipper"
    -------------------------
    Ce (ceramic)
    Ci (chica in spanish)
    Che (kept)
    Chi (kimono)
    Ge (Gerard)
    Gi (geee man )
    Ghe (get)
    Ghi (give)
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

Lećo_do_Norte said:

I like these lessons. I'm very glad to learn this beautiful language and it's a pleasure to know that I can translate some sentences. Portuguese and French help me, but I'm learning different words, too. Thanks to my romanian friends.

Can you tell us, please, about personal pronouns? I mean, nouns, possessives, object, etc.

Mulţumesc.
    Last edited by Lećo_do_Norte; 08-11-2007 at 11:37 AM.

mister Xazos said:

Personal Pronouns

Nominativ (cases)

I = Eu
    You = Tu
    He = El
    She = Ea
    It = El, Ea (pentru obiecte, lucruri neinsufletite)
    We = Noi
    You = Voi
    They = Ei

Genitiv

Mine = Al meu
    Yours = Al tau
    His = Al lui
    Hers= Al ei
    Ours = Al nostru
    Yours = Al vostru
    Theirs = Al lor

Dativ

(to) me = mie
    (to) you = tie
    (to) him = lui
    (to) her = ei
    (to) it = Lui, ei (pentru obiecte, lucruri neinsufletite) (to) us = noua
    (to) you = voua
    (to) them = lor

Acuzativ

me = pe mine
    you = pe tine
    him = pe el
    her = pe ea
    it = pe el, pe ea (pentru obiecte, lucruri neinsufletite)
    us = pe noi
    you = pe voi
    them = pe ei
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

14. dya said:

Thank you Soso for the introduction into pronouns I'll take over from here.

SO:
    In Romanian there are different forms for masculine and feminine both in plural and in sigular. Therefore:

Personal pronoun:
    They:
    - Ei (masculine, plural)
    - Ele (feminine, plural)

The possession ( gramatically expressed with the genitive) has two "parts":
    1. possesive pronouns.
    2. possesive adjectives.

1. Posesive pronouns stand for themselves and don't need a noun. They are the equivalent of the english forms: mine, yours, his, hers, etc.
    The difference is that in Romanian each person has 4 forms, each showing the gender and number of the object posessed:

Mine:
    *Al meu - masc, sg.
    *A mea- fem. sg.
    *Ai mei- masc pl.
    *Ale mele- fem. pl.

Yours:
    *Al tău- masc. sg.
    *A ta- fem.sg.
    *Ai tăi- masc.pl.
    *Ale tale- fem.pl.

His:
    *Al lui- masc.sg.
    *A lui- fem.sg.
    *Ai lui- masc.pl.
    *Ale lui- fem.pl.

Hers:
    *Al ei-masc.sg.
    *A ei- fem.sg.
    *Ai ei- masc.pl.
    *Ale ei- fem.pl

Ours
    *Al nostru-masc.sg.
    *A noastră-fem.sg.
    *Ai noștri-masc.pl.
    *Ale noastre-fem.pl.

Yours(plural)
    * Al vostru- masc.sg.
    *A voastră- fem.sg.
    *Ai voștri- masc.pl.
    *Ale voastre- fem.pl.

Theirs
    *Al lor- masc.sg
    *A lor- fem.sg.
    *Ai lor- masc.pl.
    *Ale lor- fem.pl

2. The posessive adjevtive appears only in the presence of the noun, the noun being the posessed object. This noun carries the information about gender and number and transfers it to the posessive adjective.

LUCKILY, the forms are exactly the same as the ones of the posesive pronouns but without the First word that apear in them. Basically remove al, a, ai, ale, from the forms I wrote above and you'll have the possesive adjective.

The equivalents in english are the forms: my, your, his, her, our, your, their.

Examples- we'll use the nouns: masc. băiatul(boy) and fem. fata(girl) in the position of "posessed object"
    Their plural forms are: băieții and fetele

MY:
    Băiatul meu
    Fata mea
    Băieții mei
    Fetele mele

Your:
    Băiatul tău
    Fata ta
    Băieții tăi
    Fetele tale

His:
    Băiatul lui
    Fata lui
    Băieții lui
    Fetele lui

Her:
    Băiatul ei
    Fata ei
    Băieții ei
    Fetele ei

Our:
    Băiatul nostru
    Fata noastră
    Băieții noștri
    Fetele noaste

Your(pl)
    Băiatul vostru
    Fata voastră
    Băieții voștri
    Fetele voatre

Their:
    Băiatul lor
    Fata lor
    Băieții lor
    Fetele lor
    Last edited by dya; 08-12-2007 at 04:29 AM.

15. dya said:

Now, for those of you who learn Romanian through English, it may seem complicated the fact that one form in English has two different forms in Romanian. And I'm talking here about the Dative and Accusative forms of the pronouns.

In English we have only one form for both cases: me, you, him, her, us, you, them

Romanian has totally different forms for these two cases. Soso wrote them above.

In order for you not to mis-use them, keep in mind that the Dative case implies the question: TO WHOM?

Ex:
    He told me- To whom he told? Me.
    He told you- To whom he told? You
    ETC.

Dative is a difficult case in Romanian because it actually splits in two forms and UNFORTUNATELY they don't exactly look the same.

Here are the forms and then I'll show you examples and explain when and how to use them:

Even worse, for some persons one of the forms modifies according to the verb tense! What I'll write now is the form for the present tense PLUS the form Soso wrote above(that form never changes)

me: &#238;mi + mie

you: &#238;ți + ție

him: &#238;i + lui

her: &#238;i + ei

us: ne+ nouă

you: vă + vouă

them: le+ lor

The first form I wrote is the one always accompanying the verb and staying IN FRONT of it. The second is used AFTER the verb and its only meaning is to emphasise the person TO WHOM the action of the verb refers to. For a "dramatical" effect this form goes on the very first position BEFORE everything else.

Examples:

We'll take the sentence: He tells me.

El &#238;mi spune.- this is the regular way of translating the sentence.

El &#238;mi spune mie- I, the speaker, want make sure everybody understands that he tells ME and not to somebody else. The sentence alone transmits the message of "he tells me something". But if we use mie too, the speaker wants to make clear the fact that "he talks to ME"

Mie &#238;mi spune- this is the "dramatical" use. The speakes leaves room for no doubts: "It's ME the one to whom he tells. ME and probably ME alone."

Time for a break, but I'll come back (later or tomorrow) with the rest of the explanation for the Dative and with the explanation for the Accusative.

I'm well aware that this seems complicated and indeed it is, but my advice is : do not try to memorize these forms as I wrote them. Use them in contexts, because it's easier to remember a form attached to an idea than to simply memorize a list of words. And again: songs will help you with this, because you'll make connections between what I wrote in here and certain lines in certain songs.

I hope at least some of the things I've written so far will prove of help for you
    Last edited by dya; 08-12-2007 at 05:02 AM.

mister Xazos said:

Oh, I hope you're not upset Dya. I'm not a good teacher
    Sorry
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

17. dya said:

Upset for what?

I'm more than grateful because you wrote all those forms. It was easier for me to take over from something that was already presented here.

So, no, I'm not upset. I thank you

I'll come back here later. Meanwhile: have a good day!

PS: Sper ca te simti mai bine

mister Xazos said:

I never was a good teacher But anyway, thank you.
    I'm fine... 15 days left until I return to my home. I miss my friends, I miss my grandparents ! well, I still have doubts to get to Otopeni from Baneasa at 6 in the morning.
    Nu inteleg cum punctelea astea la reputatie... daca eu ti-am dat un punct, de ce nu ti se mareste ? Am scris in Romana pentru ca am vorbit o noapte intreaba in engleza cu Maria si mi se pare ca engleza e in cantitate mare. haha
    Draga mea, am gasit melodia care ma turmenta . Nektarios Sfyrakhs -Mou to Pane .
    Pe bune ca incepem pe 17 ? Ieeeeeeeee ! Plec la tara 3 zile sa mai simt pamintul stromosesc sub picioare .
    Ai grija de tine !
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

19. dya said:

Again: what you wrote helped me carry on with the explanation so don't be so modest

PS: Mersi pentru puncte. S-au adaugat, dupa cum vad eu

mister Xazos said:

I only told you the truth
    μόνο στο τίποτα...