Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

kmmy said:

"nicăiurea" doesn't exist... maybe you wanted to say nicăieri which means nowhere?

Mimi0920 said:

Quote Originally Posted by kmmy View Post
    "nicăiurea" doesn't exist... maybe you wanted to say nicăieri which means nowhere?
    I found this word in a comment somebody from Moldova wrote somewhere on the internet. And nicăieri would've made sense in this context but he wrote nicăiurea, that's why I was wondering. But probably it's just Romanian mixed with Russian

kmmy said:

oh well in Moldova it may be used in place of nicăieri You know our languages are like american english and british english... same thing overall, but with different accents and some words

Mimi0920 said:

How do you conjugate "a semăna"?

baby_girl_ said:

Here you are

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi0920 View Post
    How do you conjugate "a semăna"?
    Eu semăn
    Tu semeni
    El/ea seamănă
    Noi semănăm
    Voi semănaţi
    Ei/ele seamănă

6. safe1 said:

Buna

guys, my mischievous Romanian friends are teasing me and don't translate for me something that i can't translate alone

Will you?

What does "mor apuc" mean?

EDIT: question answered. thank you
    Last edited by safe1; 08-28-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Solved.
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

Maviii said:

What does "mor apuc" mean?
    google says it means grab die =))))

luxXor said:

It must be wrong written. There are 2 different Romanian words which don't have any meaning together.

Floryn said:

or maybe is "mor apuca" that has some meaning
    Find me here and if you want just add me http://www.facebook.com/FlorynfANNAtikos

dragonfly93 said:

Whoa, this thread isn't very active...
    Just came in to shout: "SALLLLLLL LUMEEEEEEE!!!!!" Ce facetzi?
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

11. monza68 said:

Hi, I'm wondering about the Romanian equivalents for a few terms we use in English.

template -- especially the definition used for online design templates. "şablon" is the word that comes up in Google translator (can't find it in my dictionaries) but I'm not sure it is the best one.

step-by-step -- as used to describe a set of sequential instructions, like "step-by-step instructions" for making an origami figure, or making a recipe.

side-by-side -- like photos placed side-by-side on a webpage or in a scrapbook, or when people march side-by-side in a parade.

I need to know so I can explain some things about some Christmas card designs to a Romanian friend in Bucuresti by way of email so I can be sure she understands. Multumesc foarte mult in advans.

kmmy said:

template = şablon - the word that comes up in google translator is correct .. even though you should know that isn't used so often
    step-by-step = pas cu pas
    side-by-side = una lângă alta (f) / unul lângă altul (m)

hope it helps

13. monza68 said:

template = şablon - the word that comes up in google translator is correct .. even though you should know that isn't used so often
    step-by-step = pas cu pas
    side-by-side = una lângă alta (f) / unul lângă altul (m)

hope it helps

Daaa kmmy it does help, multumesc.

I'm not sure whether you mean that the word 'şablon' isn't used so often or that google translator isn't, but I usually try hallo.ro first when my print Romanian Dictionary & Phrasebook doesn't have a word and it gives a few options, Google Translator I try to get a direction in terms of a definition and şablon was the word it gave (calibru came up first at hallo.ro).

I just need to make my friend understand the guidelines & directions format she needs to use for our project, I'm confident now that şablon will get the idea across. So many times before the word in my dictionary or at hallo.ro or from Google Translator only confuses her, or amuses her and then she just keeps teasing me about my bad "book" Ro, lol.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

kmmy said:

You are welcome! Glad I could help!

I was reffering to the romanian word. Usually there aren't many translations of terms like this, and even if they are, romanians tend to not use them so much, they use the english ones anyways.

And about the efficiency of online translators, well, they aren't reliable, their results often produce laughters if they are used by foreigners to express themselves in a language they don't know, it happened to me as well

15. pauluszk said:

Salut!
    My name is Krisztian from Hungary.So, I need a second learnt language next to the English.My family is from Romania, since my father, our family haven't lived there, but my grandfather was romanian.Lot of my relatives speak romanian but a don't, and I begrudge they this. Another reason of me is, that at home I have a romanian TV channel with lot of romanian clips and can understand nothing, but sounds lovely for me...Fortunately near to me, there are a lot of native speakers, so I already have an area to prove it.And somewhere I have a Romanian language book for starters.

I know that in this language there are many many slavic words...I learnt crotian for 8 years at the elementary school.Unfortunately I didn't success in crotian, but it caused a minimal slavic word base, what I have found to be in the romanian too.

So my questions are:
    -How difficult is the Romanian for a hungarian from zero level? (Spoken languages are just, the Hungarian and the English)
    -Where shall I start it? (Free online courses, sites etc.)
    -How much time does it usually need for somebody to get to comparetive level?

Thx, for al answers.

Best wishes!

16. monza68 said:

Just for what it's worth, I thought I would mention that a short article/blogpost appeared in last week's Huffington Post site, titled "Romania Off the Beaten Track."

Here's the URL:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeanin...=false#s540217

I liked the article but I have to say I loved the comments even more (and yes, especially the minor grammar and punctuation errors, which remind me not only of my own struggles to learn Romanian but also are nearly identical to those in the messages and emails I receive from my online Romanian friends over there all the time, making little tears of joy in my eyes as I read these comments and thought of them and their enthusiam and sincerity and friendly warmth), most from actual Romanians and demonstrating their incomparable passion for their beautiful amazing country, fantastic!

An Nou Fericit to all!

Paul Orhan said:

oh well in Moldova it may be used in place of nicăieri You know our languages are like american english and british english... same thing overall, but with different accents and some words
    Kmmy, I hope you reserved British English to describe Romania's Romanian
    Last edited by Paul Orhan; 01-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.

kmmy said:

Paul tbh I didnt even think which one goes with what but if I think about it I agree with u

get_attitude_ said:

Quote Originally Posted by pauluszk View Post
    -How difficult is the Romanian for a hungarian from zero level? (Spoken languages are just, the Hungarian and the English)
    -Where shall I start it? (Free online courses, sites etc.)
    -How much time does it usually need for somebody to get to comparetive level?
    I learned romanian for 2 years and still am learning but had and have not enough lesson hours. Any way I think I have some good basis. But for a hungarian might be a little harder, because your language is alone in his group, there is no alike and english is much simpler in many ways then any balkan language including romanian. Also I have learned german so after it everything else seems easy However I think romanian is pretty hard too especially for non-balkan people or for people who are not well with the closest to it latin languages - italian and may be french.
    Surely the best way to learn a language is with a private teacher or in a course. If this is not possible for you now you could try in this threads here about learning romanian or here to learn some basic words and the pronunciation. As you have relatives who know the language you could also try learning with them. Those combinations, knowing a bit of croatian and listening to the romanian tv will help too but only so far that you would have an idea of the language and if you are very studious you even could be able to freely speak in simple conversations.
    Any way you choose means a lot of hard work, so I wish you good luck, and may be you could be one of those people who learned languages outstanding all by them selves

babygee said:

If anyone needs help with Romanian just ask
    hat3mel eh lw nemt youm w s7eet w l2eet a2rab ma leek fe donya mosh 7waleek...