Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. dya said:

Intotdeauna adjectivul se acorda cu substantivul. Vor avea intodeauna acelasi gen, numar si caz!

Substantivele de care spui tu sunt neutre ca gen.

Exemplu: tablou : un tablou(masc)- două tablouri (fem).

Prin urmare daca intrebi "how many?" vei folosi forma de feminin, plural:

Câte tablouri?

P.S. I forgot to answer your other question: "Câte luni"

DeBaires said:

Mersi foarte mult Dya!
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avěe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

mike123 said:

Salut everyone. Great job to the romanians and students as well. this forum is excellent and is exactly what I've been looking for to study.

On page 29 I read where someone asked for a mititei recipe... Upon returning from Romania, I can vouch with the idea that Romanian foods prepared here in America are NOT the same as in Romania.

I must admit though, I do make an excellent dish of mămăliga . I've also (tried) to make salata de vinete and chifteluţe, Both were delicious, but not even close to what I've tried in Romania. Could be that I did something wrong. I'm still very new to cooking Romanian cuisines.

I've also found a store nearby which sells Romanian cow and sheep feta (telemea) which isn't close in taste either. Less salty but still good and worth it for the taste. Very cheap actually.

I could understand completely if a Romanian was disappointed in the tastes of Romanian cuisine here.

Cu bine,
    Mike
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

4. Sev said:

Default Any advicee

Hi everybody! Buna seara! Can anybody suggest me good courses of the Romanian language. I am based in Cambridge UK. But it seems here no course is run. I was going to ROmania for winter or summer vacations. Could you suggest any good university or summer school there?

Sev

5. Sticha said:

Hello Everyone,
    I live in Belgium and i try to learn Romanian by reading books and ofcourse the internet,that's why this forum means a lot to me.
    Now i have a question and i hope someone can help me; It's only one word,and i can't find any translation of it.
    So here it comes: FUMOSU
    I don't hope it's a 'bad' word,can someone please explain it to me.
    Thank you!

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sticha View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I live in Belgium and i try to learn Romanian by reading books and ofcourse the internet,that's why this forum means a lot to me.
    Now i have a question and i hope someone can help me; It's only one word,and i can't find any translation of it.
    So here it comes: FUMOSU
    I don't hope it's a 'bad' word,can someone please explain it to me.
    Thank you!
    I don't believe it is a word. Are you sure you have it spelled correctly?

7. emyiakab said:

If your spelling is correct, should be the adjective from the noun smoke!So it is smoky!Only that if you skipped an "r" and the word is "frumosu", the correct form is frumosul, it is an adjective that means beautifull, but it is the masculine form.Normally, the most used form is "frumos", but if the adjective is placed before the noun, it steals the article "L'' preceded by the vowel "U"- which always links the article "L" with a word that ends in a consonant!!!
    Examples:
    inalt=tall
    Copacul inalt=the tree tall
    with an inversion it is
    Inaltul copac=the tall tree
    So, pay attention, Romanian has a different topic than English, the noun always comes first and it's adjective always comes after!!!
    Only in literary texts you find the adjective first and the noun second, that is why we call this inversion-figure of style.

8. emyiakab said:

Smile hello Sev

Dear Sev,
    Welcome!I can't suggest you any course, but if you have any questions we will try give you the best anwers!There are some teachers here on this forum, so if you need any help just tell us and we shall all try to help you.
    Maybe Dya (best teacher online) sees your post and she can indicate some course...till then, ask whatever you want, ok?

9. dya said:

Hello!

Thank you, Emy, for your nice words And also, thank you for all your work around here

Sev, I'm sorry, but I don't know any Romanian course. As far as I remember someone mentioned a course, somewhere in this thred, so if you're patient enough to look through all 30 pages you'll find it

10. Sticha said:

First,thanks for the quick response!
    I read the word (fumosu) in some sentences,wich i tried to translate on Google.
    Unfortunately it could'nt give me a translation that satisfied me.
    So,the explanation from Emyiakab make sense to me...but is there also a possibility that this word is 'slang',and that it comes from "frumosul"?
    Or is it not possible?

11. dya said:

Hi, Sticha

Emy explained very well!

All I can assume is that it's just a simple typo. The person who wrote the word simply made a mistake and missed the letter "r" from the word.

12. emyiakab said:

I agree with Dya, if you did not read the setence in a literary text, it is almost sure that it is the adjective frumos maybe with an article, frumosul (I told u why!), so yes, somebody simply made an error in typing and skipped the "R".There is no slang form, believe me!it is either frumosu(some don't pronounce the final l, but it is a grammar mistake!) or it is nothing!!! and we rarely use smoky and even that form is a mistaken, the correct form is fumegos and not fumos!!!!!I hope it is clearer now, if not tell us!

mike123 said:

Bună, nevoie nişte ajutări cu temele mele. Poteţi să mă ajutaţi? Nevoie să traduc Româna până la Engleză. Mulţumesc acordat.

1. L-ai auzit pe măgarul ăla de George care zice că nu ştie de ce s-au despărtit Anca şi Matei?.
    . I am quite sure I am wrong with this translation. I have translated: "Did you hear that a.s.s George which says that he doesn't know why Anca and Matei separate?"

2. A aruncat-o ca pe o măsea stricată.
    . Can someone explain this sentance a little? Something was thrown and something to do with a broken tooth?

3. Cui pe cui se scoate?
    . I have: "Whom can be removed?" or "Who removed themselves?"
    . I don't understand "Cui pe cui".

4. Caut-o în sala de sport, acum zece minute era acolo.
    . 1st... "în sala de sport" = "in the gymnasium"? It is the best I could find.
    . 2nd... I have translated: "I searched for her in the gym, now she there for 10 minutes."

Mulţumesc pentru tot!

baby_girl_ said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    Bună, nevoie nişte ajutări cu temele mele. Poteţi să mă ajutaţi? Nevoie să traduc Româna până la Engleză. Mulţumesc acordat.

1. L-ai auzit pe măgarul ăla de George care zice că nu ştie de ce s-au despărtit Anca şi Matei?.
    . I am quite sure I am wrong with this translation. I have translated: "Did you hear that a.s.s George which says that he doesn't know why Anca and Matei separate?"

2. A aruncat-o ca pe o măsea stricată.
    . Can someone explain this sentance a little? Something was thrown and something to do with a broken tooth?

3. Cui pe cui se scoate?
    . I have: "Whom can be removed?" or "Who removed themselves?"
    . I don't understand "Cui pe cui".

4. Caut-o în sala de sport, acum zece minute era acolo.
    . 1st... "în sala de sport" = "in the gymnasium"? It is the best I could find.
    . 2nd... I have translated: "I searched for her in the gym, now she there for 10 minutes."

Mulţumesc pentru tot!
    Hello,
    L-ai auzit pe măgarul ăla de George care zice că nu ştie de ce s-au despărtit Anca şi Matei?. / Did you hear that a.s.s George which said that he didn't know why Anca and Matei broke up?

A aruncat-o ca pe o măsea stricată. / He/she threw it like (it was) a broken tooth.

Cui pe cui se scoate? / One nail drives out another. or One fire drives out another.
    ("cui pe cui se scoate" is an expression in romanian, i'm sure you know it too in english, now that you have the translation. In romanian "cui" can be a pronoun "whom", or a noun "nail")

Caut-o în sala de sport, acum zece minute era acolo. / Search her in the gym room, ten minutes ago she was there.

Here you are, if you have other questions you can send me a private message and i will reply you as soon as possible.
    Have a nice day and good luck with romanian

15. Sticha said:

Default About 'Fumosu'

Hello,i asked the person who wrote the word,she told me that the word 'fumosu' is a nickname for : a person who is nice/gentle.
    So,probably it's familiar with the term 'frumosul' like you explained earlier.
    Anyway,thanks again for helping me...and i guess that i will appear on this screen again for some more translations
    Bye

16. emyiakab said:

Smile a little correction

If I am allowed, I want to make a little correction.You can't use which in English if it refers to people, only who!!!which is used in any other contexts, but this.
    so it would be that Geroge who!!!!!

17. emyiakab said:

Sticha, anything else you want to know, just say it!

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by emyiakab View Post
    If I am allowed, I want to make a little correction.You can't use which in English if it refers to people, only who!!!which is used in any other contexts, but this.
    so it would be that Geroge who!!!!!
    Thanks for your correction emyiakab. My Romanian teacher also corrected this last night as well. Perhaps I should take English too. :P

19. emyiakab said:

Smile great!

Then I have good news, I used to teach English and now I teach Romanian!)))))))

mike123 said:

Then I am in the right place for everything.

Teme intrebari. Vă rog ajutare şi corectare.

1. Dă prioritate camionului! = Give priority to the truck!
    . I want to check if I understand this.
    2. Îi e foame bietului copil, dă-ţi-i ceva de mâncare! = The poor child is starving, give him something to eat!
    . beit(ului) is an adjective. Would the context remain consistent if it had been written as 'copilului biet'?
    . dă-ţi-i = dă, iţi and îi? or (you give to him sth (mâncare)) correct?
    . . is this phrase shortened (with 2 hyphens) as such because the verb used is imperative?