Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

dragonfly93 said:

Ms mult!!
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

2. safe1 said:

Hi can someone translate this to English? (i tried my translator but it doesn't give the correct translation i think) :

Beau, nu deranja-ti
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

kmmy said:

geia sou safe1

Beau, nu deranjati - i'm drinking, do not disturb (pinw, mhn enoxleite )

4. safe1 said:

Thank you very much! Efxaristw poli ! Multumesc
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.

kmmy said:

u r welcome! parakalw! cu placere!

6. safe1 said:

Excuse me Romanian friends but what is : laba-laba ?

baby_girl_ said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Maybe another one will translate it..I can't even find a decent synonym..

kmmy said:

hahahah so im not the only one who thought of that meaning from the 1st sec =))

@safe1, mporeis na mou dineis to paisio? akomi elpizw den einai oti nomizw xaxa

baby_girl_ said:

Nop, you're not the only one...i was starting to worry thinking I could be the only one)) So, welcome to the club)))))))))) lol, that was funny)

10. safe1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by kmmy View Post
    hahahah so im not the only one who thought of that meaning from the 1st sec =))

@safe1, mporeis na mou dineis to paisio? akomi elpizw den einai oti nomizw xaxa
    paisio ???

Quote Originally Posted by baby_girl_ View Post
    Nop, you're not the only one...i was starting to worry thinking I could be the only one)) So, welcome to the club)))))))))) lol, that was funny)
    Come on guys can someone tell me what it is? tell something similar at least to understand what it is...
    Is it Romanian idiom or what?
    If you can't post please pm me.

EDIT: the word .......... deleted by me. question answered. tnx
    Last edited by safe1; 03-16-2011 at 04:28 AM.

arabikprincessangel said:

[/QUOTE]
    Come on guys can someone tell me what it is? tell something similar at least to understand what it is...
    Is it Romanian idiom or what?
    If you can't post please pm me.

EDIT: the word .......... deleted by me. question answered. tnx[/QUOTE]

is good because i was thinking to some synonim:d but if is answered i restrain myself
    It is true that I have had heartache and tragedy in my life. These are things none of us avoids. Suffering is the price of being alive.

12. safe1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by arabikprincessangel View Post

is good because i was thinking to some synonim:d but if is answered i restrain myself
    Thanks anyway and

To be a little humorous:

Well as a Greek i'd say that that word sounds VERY funny to my Greek ears (actually sounds like a Latin America dance or song name or something e.g. lambada or la bamba or anything like this...).

But now that i know the meaning, i'd wish to punch someone , anyway

dragonfly93 said:

Haha, nice reaction... Just laugh it off, if anyone tells you that (although it's kind of hard to do that, as you now know what it means...)
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

14. Jason Kidd said:

Quote Originally Posted by safe1 View Post
    Excuse me Romanian friends but what is : laba-laba ?
    Not sure where you found that expression , for sure not in a novel.
    But regardless ...

The literary (initial) meaning of the word labă (the accent is on the first syllable - lábă) is paw, an animal's paw.

The word, however is frequently used as a slang for masturbation.
    We have the verb "a se masturba" in our dictionary:
    Eu ma masturbez, tu te masturbezi, el/ea se masturbeaza, noi ne masturbam, voi va masturbati, ei/ele se masturbeaza (try not to visualize it, it's just a forum to learn romanian).

But, in a day to day romanian language, we use the word "labă" for wank and "labagiu/labagioaica (fem)" and plural "labagii/labagioaice (fem)" for wanker(s).

The most common slang meaning for "labă" is different though. And I guess that's the meaning in your finding.
    One may call another person "o labă" when that person does something bad, like not keeping their word etc.
    For example, you promised to do my homework and you didn't. I may say: "esti o labă". Sau "esti un labagiu".
    Or, my boss didn't increase my salary (didn't give me a raise - not that raise). Why? Because "seful meu este un labagiu" or "seful meu este o labă".
    There might be instances where the other person didn't do something really bad, but he may still be called a "labagiu". For example, you make fun of me, mock me or you're just being sarcastic. I may say again "Esti o laba" sau "esti un labagiu". Or, even better "Nu fi o laba" sau "nu fi un labagiu" (nu fi = don't be)
    Obviously, the last examples don't have any sexual habits/preferences connotation.

However, I suspect the true meaning in your example laba-laba is a really truelly bad person. We use in romanian the repetition of the same word to emphasize it.
    Familiar, you may say about a movie you just watched: mișto-mișto. Which means very cool, really cool.
    In a new slang construction following the same pattern (I noticed it in the last 15-20 years), we say "fată de fată"
    to describe a really beautiful girl.

I digress, but I noticed the repetition in other languages may mean different things. For instance in zulu, they construct the plural by repeating the same word: Bafana bafana = the boys, Baniana baniana = the girls.

I hope this helps and I didn't offend anybody.
    Last edited by Jason Kidd; 03-17-2011 at 12:18 PM.

15. safe1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kidd View Post
    Not sure where you found that expression , for sure not in a novel.
    Not in a novel. Someone told it.

I hope this helps and I didn't offend anybody.
    No offense taken...

The word, however is frequently used as a slang for masturbation.
    Yes this was the meaning in my case...

Nevertheless, another member of this forum informed me that this slang is really really bad to be heard from normal persons and i believe her.

It's just that i can't imagine the size of the insult since i don't speak Romanian, but again i've been told that it's difficult to translate this accurate in English...

But i get the point.

In Greek there is a FULL set of swearing and slang words that can "make bones to be broken" when said, and i know them all, but i don't use it, it's not my style anyway.

I avoid people who use them as well. They don't teach me something new except their low class.

So i assume this Romanian slang is an insult that can make bones broken as well....

Thanks.

NNA for life said:

@Jason Kidd
    Some serious correction
    You explained well about its meaning ....But W T F is this Esti o laba?????????
    Man if you live in romania you don't say "My boss is a wanker because he don't raise my salary"....No grown up man use this word "laba" whit sexual meaning...
    Here some contexts whit the sexual meaning of this word.
    "laba trista"=You sad wanker(no girl likes you...no girl wanna "do you")....This is a pretty used slag,in fact it was used now its just "old school"...
    ooo and sexual meaning of "laba"=hand-job
    But this word means PAW...

The context "laba,laba"=could mean like "(heyyyyyy) my paw"...(watch my paw)....Maybe you see it in a fairy tale
    ------>Kaal ho na ho<------
    ------>Lebnan ya 2it3it sama<------
    ------>La 2ilaha 2illa allah<------

NNA for life said:

@safe1
    "So i assume this Romanian slang is an insult that can make bones broken as well..."

O man i saw ppl starting to cry when they hear slag/curses in romanian language.Especially "religion curses" :P
    Hey its a tough world...only the strong ones survey's :d

But this context...."laba"=hand-job ...Come on every school guy its using....)
    Come on only a kid can call you "wanker" ...only a kid would say to make him a "handy"...)
    ------>Kaal ho na ho<------
    ------>Lebnan ya 2it3it sama<------
    ------>La 2ilaha 2illa allah<------

18. safe1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by NNA for life View Post
    @safe1
    "So i assume this Romanian slang is an insult that can make bones broken as well..."

Hey its a tough world...only the strong ones survey's :d
    Excuse me but you have a weird view about who is strong and who is not in this life.
    In my view the strong one doesn't need a mouth full of slang to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by NNA for life View Post
    But this context...."laba"=hand-job ...Come on every school guy its using....
    So? Who said that a school guy has brains?
    If i offer a lesson of the full set of Greek slang phrases to someone and he/she comes to Greece and use it without reason and without knowing whom he/she address it to, he/she will risk a month or two in the hospital... Who's strong now?

No offense, just my opinion.

sushiko said:

How would you say:
    "music brings people together" or if it sounds better
    "music unites us" or "music brings us together"
    please THANK YOU

kmmy said:

hi sushiko

you could say: muzica unește oamenii or muzica ne unește