Tags: None

Mimi0920 said:

Thank you kmmy

kmmy said:

u r welcome mimi

3. safe1 said:

Hi guys. Translation to this please? "nu trebuie sa-ti faci griji"

Is there a gender in it?
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

baby_girl_ said:

Nu trebuie sa-ti faci griji / You don't have to worry

5. safe1 said:

Thank you baby_girl!
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

baby_girl_ said:

Not at all

Quote Originally Posted by safe1 View Post
    Thank you baby_girl!

7. monza68 said:

Quote Originally Posted by arabikprincessangel View Post
    if the name is exactly "TARA LUANEI" is not allowed to translate...u use exactly like this in all languages...yes like meaning is luana's country....but corectly not allowed to translate
    Imi pare rau, but I don't understand at all what you are saying here. Why not "allowed" to translate "correctly"? Does the particular structure of the word form make it some kind of dirty word or something? Or do you mean that it can't be translated exactly into English for some reason?

Sunt confuz.

8. monza68 said:

Sunt atat de fericit! Serios!

For the first time ever, I was able to watch a news story on Romanian TV and understand almost every word.

I can't express how gratifying this was for me. I didn't know where else I could say this either, none of my friends would understand, and it has been SO difficult for me to train my ear to hear complete sentences in Romanian, rather than just a stray single word or two here and there.

Thank you all so much, reading the many translations of song lyrics so many here have so generously provided along with the videos at Youtube has helped me tremendously.

Even though it was only a story about fotbal, and so used simpler words than many other stories often do, it was the first light at the end of a very long tunnel for me.

Uimitor.

Perfect timing too, because in one week I am flying to Bucureste for a friend's wedding.

Multumesc foarte multi, Allthelyrics: Romanian!

9. Lifprasir said:

I've been reading the thread from post one, currently at page 26 now. I think I learned a lot so far. , I skipped the nominative, accusative, genitive, dative part at page 10~, thinking I could afford myself to skip on that lesson. But it turns out that it's quite crucial to the grammar of Romanian language as it determines the articles of the nouns.

I don't know what to say but, it's gonna take me a WHILE before I can assign the fast mechanism of determining what case is the sentence into my brain, which delays my ability to speak Romanian by a lot. Do you guys think I'm overlooking this obstacle??....

dragonfly93 said:

Hi monza, not sure if anyone's replied to you yet. But what she meant is that there is no direct translation, i.e. not an exact phrase that would be perfect. Yes, it's correct to say "Luana's country", or even better, "the country of Luana", but you see how many translations there are?:
    Luana's country
    the country of Luana
    the country to which Luana belongs
    the country from which Luana comes
    and so on and so forth.

If you really want to get into the grammar of Romanian, let's say that
    TARA = the country (I don't have diacritics on this computer, but there will be a diacritic on the T and not on the final A as it would be if it were an indefinite noun without an article)
    and LUANEI = the accusative form of LUANA (to oversimplify, it functions almost like the apostrophe-"s" in English--denoting possession).
    Now, tara would have a diacritic if it were just a noun (it's feminine) that wasn't specific (like saying "country" as opposed to "the country"). But when you're using the possessive form, since it's followed by "Luanei", it needs "the" (if you've ever studied Italian, it's the same--la mia paese, literally "the my country" with the definite article "la"). In Romanian, the feminine definite article is formed by converting the a (with a downward diacritic) to an a (without a diacritic). This might seem strange to someone used to seeing articles unattached to words, and I'm definitely oversimplifying for you, but I hope this explanation is a satisfactory answer.
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

11. monza68 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    Hi monza, not sure if anyone's replied to you yet. But what she meant is that there is no direct translation, i.e. not an exact phrase that would be perfect. Yes, it's correct to say "Luana's country", or even better, "the country of Luana", but you see how many translations there are?:
    Luana's country
    the country of Luana
    the country to which Luana belongs
    the country from which Luana comes
    and so on and so forth.
    See, this is why I am always telling my Romanian friends that English is the simple language, Romanian the hard.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    If you really want to get into the grammar of Romanian, let's say that
    TARA = the country (I don't have diacritics on this computer, but there will be a diacritic on the T and not on the final A as it would be if it were an indefinite noun without an article)
    and LUANEI = the accusative form of LUANA (to oversimplify, it functions almost like the apostrophe-"s" in English--denoting possession).
    Now, tara would have a diacritic if it were just a noun (it's feminine) that wasn't specific (like saying "country" as opposed to "the country"). But when you're using the possessive form, since it's followed by "Luanei", it needs "the" (if you've ever studied Italian, it's the same--la mia paese, literally "the my country" with the definite article "la"). In Romanian, the feminine definite article is formed by converting the a (with a downward diacritic) to an a (without a diacritic). This might seem strange to someone used to seeing articles unattached to words, and I'm definitely oversimplifying for you, but I hope this explanation is a satisfactory answer.
    I do appreciate that dragon. When to use the 'the' form has been another of many challenges for me. When and where to place "nu" is another big one, sometimes it seems to connote negative, other times positive. Diacritics, wow, I'm beginning to get a better feel now but then I often do instant messaging with a couple friends in Bucharest---their English is not so good, despite their years at University there (technical fields)---where diacritics are not in use, difficult when I have to try and look up something they've just typed in a dictionary, online or off.

I'm aware of the similarities to Italian but have never studied it. I'm also aware of certain Latinate constructions Romanian employs and regret having chosen Spanish to study at school rather than Latin, now. Here we have almost infinite resources for learning a language like Spanish, for Romanian next to none. Even many of the native-born Romanians who live over here now don't know enough English to be helpful. I read Romanian Business Insider and Ziarul every day hoping the unfortunate isolationism of the country is soon effectively overcome and more sturdy bridges can be built.

All in all I am more and more amazed at the beauty and nuance Romanian is capable of. As I am about the history, geography, architecture, and so on, while almost no one seems to know anything of this outside of a privileged few.

Thursday I fly over for my first short visit. I can hardly wait, and can hardly wait, already, for my second planned visit, when I will have much more time for exploring.

I've already been "warned" about all the Romanian dishes I can expect to sample throughout the wedding festival (the bride is quite a cook), and am looking greatly forward to it. Maybe some tuica to wash it down?

Thanks again for the help & pointers.

Krevetis said:

Could anyone show list with romanian week days names, months names and colours names. It's basics and i cant found it anywhere.

kmmy said:

you can find them here: months and days of the week and colors

Krevetis said:

Mulţumesc

kmmy said:

cu plăcere

Mimi0920 said:

I'd travel everywhere as long as it's not Siberia. - How do you say "as long as"? The dictionary says "atat timp cat" but I'm not convinced?
    Last edited by Mimi0920; 06-27-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Krevetis said:

„Your voice is very nice“ or „You have very beautiful voice“ how it will sound in romanian?

baby_girl_ said:

Quote Originally Posted by Krevetis View Post
    „Your voice is very nice“ or „You have very beautiful voice“ how it will sound in romanian?
    I'd use the second one, so: You have a very beautiful voice / Ai o voce foarte frumoasă

baby_girl_ said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi0920 View Post
    I'd travel everywhere as long as it's not Siberia. - How do you say "as long as"? The dictionary says "atat timp cat" but I'm not convinced?
    As long as / Atâta timp cât

Mimi0920 said:

What does nicăiurea mean??