Old songs

Thread: Old songs

Tags: None

F A B Scott said:

Default Old songs

What is "OLD"?

I see people say here in the forums, when they describe some song or music , that it was OLD or an OLD song. Then we discover it is from 1995 or 1996 or whatever - that to me would be a newish song.
    I think a song has to be in the early 80s or before for me to call it old.

What do YOU consider old?

Also WTH is oldschool/oldskool?

PS.I'm not a wrinkly yet - not quite.

lollipop said:

Eh, good question. I think, I'm "guilty" myself, of calling too many times songs old that really are not THAT old

To me old song is something beginning from 5 years, i guess.

Oldskool? To me oldskool is, when a piece of music is an excellent example to describe the whole music style with that song. You know, like, when beat was beat and the rhythm was more recognizable. Like classic house hits, that still get the same admiring. Or oldskool techno, or rave culture at the beginning.
    Some electronic oldskool tracks are funny to hear now, as they are so simple, almost childish.

From hiphop i know, that there are 3 periods, and oldskool are like Run DMC, or Arrested Development etc? (At least I think so, but I better leave this categorization for experts, as I'm not good at that style at all)

SOULstice said:

It all depends on who you ask. Each Generation has there own category of "old skool." I'm only 29, but I know that old school R&B is Marvin Gaye, Al Green, The Isley Brothers, Barry White and the like. But if you ask my sister who is gonna be 18 next month, she'd say Shai, Jodeci, Keith Sweat, Boys II Men, and Toni Tone Tony. What I consider my generation of old school is New Edition, Troop, Whistle, Ready for the World, Guy, stuff like that. But the pace that music seems to be at these days, old school is anything from last year. It's all a matter of opinion... and age... Plus you have your longevity artists, who have songs in various "age" categories like Prince, LL Cool J, Mary J. Blige, Janet Jackson, The Isley Brothers even, Aerosmith, Elton John, Michael Jackson, and so on and so on...
    "And the music shall set you free..."

SpudMunky said:

I believe that music that is considered old, as soulstice does is down to a persons age and generation, however, I would also agree that the earliest (currently) that a song could be considered old is from the 80's, and not anything from the 90's. The 90's isn't new music but it can however be considered recent. As for old skool, this I believe is what would be considered the original music for whichever genre, it would be the first artists, to have performed music for a genre, therefore being a part of the creation of that particular type of music!
    Last edited by SpudMunky; 08-27-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?
  5. Luke of Metal said:

Well

Old music is from any age older than you are...

but old music is stuff like al Green, Marvin Gaye through to Beethoven and Motzart

Vette said:

Good replies. I, too, believe it's a matter of opinon. To me, old would be any top 100 song that isn't currently being played on the radio. Old could be last years hits. Like Usher's "Confession" CD. It came out at least 3 years ago, so I would consider that old, now. Old School/Ol Skool to me would be early 90's and before. Classic Ol Skool would be the hits from the 70's and before......

It's really all opinion, though.
    One Life, One Team....L.A. Lakers!!!
  7. curtdp said:

IMO, the old music is music which has been in existence a long time and nothing else.
    This does not apply style, it is classical music, for example, could be as old, recorded 100 years ago, and new, published this year. I hope the idea is clear.
    Sorry for bad English.