The Boy on a Dolphin

Thread: The Boy on a Dolphin

Tags: None
  1. Oberon said:

Default The Boy on a Dolphin

I am looking for the Greek words to the song "The Boy On a Dolphin"...from the movie of the same name.... I have the Julie London recording...(not the best)....any suggestions on a Greek recording, in Greek.... Thank you... Oberon

YpNoS said:

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I am looking for the Greek words to the song "The Boy On a Dolphin"...from the movie of the same name.... I have the Julie London recording...(not the best)....any suggestions on a Greek recording, in Greek.... Thank you... Oberon
    Excellent movie.. and amazing Sophia Loren singing Greek... what more could you ask..

That movie gave birth to two songs..

The first is entitled "se agapo (ti einai ayto pou to lene agapi)" and it is sang by Loren:

S'agapo, s'agapo, s'agapo.
    Ti ne afto pou to lene agapi
    Ti ne afto ti ne afto
    pou krifa tis kardies odigi
    Ki opios to niose to niose to nostalgi
    Ti ne afto pouto lene agapi
    Ti ne afto ti ne afto
    Gelio dakri liakada vrohi
    Tis zois mas kai telos ki arhi
    Ti ne afto pou to lene agapi
    Ti ne afto ti ne afto
    Pou se kanis na les to skopo
    S'agapo, s'agapo, s'agapo.
    etc etc

but i dont think its the one you want.

The one you want is this one:

1. Main Title - The Boy on a Dolphin (04:07)
    (sung by Mary Kaye)

and I have to say I will look into it (and hopefully more dear Greeks will help) since its rumored to be a traditional song and well.. greek traditional songs are just too many! Be patient and am sure there will be results soon
    "Τα αλλοπαρμένα αγγελούδια μου κοίτα
    πως ξεμυτάνε απ’ του ουρανού τα λημέρια
    Κι όλοι το ξέρουν πως
    απόψε θα έχουμε μια όμορφη νύχτα
    κι αύριο θα είναι μια καλύτερη μέρα.."

3. Oberon said:

Thank you.. Ypnos....the words are what I remember...but Sophia singing it I do not..... does Mary Kaye sing it in Greek... or English...?????.....I am just glad to finally have the Greek words... and I do notice... they don't translate to the Julie London lyrics.... LOLOLOLOL.... Oberon

YpNoS said:

Thank you.. Ypnos....the words are what I remember...but Sophia singing it I do not..... does Mary Kaye sing it in Greek... or English...?????.....I am just glad to finally have the Greek words... and I do notice... they don't translate to the Julie London lyrics.... LOLOLOLOL.... Oberon

Julie London has made a cover of this song

1. Main Title - The Boy on a Dolphin (04:07)
    (sung by Mary Kaye)

I quoted Loren because it is the most famous song taken from that movie and it is in Greek.

The Mary Kaye and London song is in English based on a Greek -traditional- song which I ll try to find (with a lil help from our friends in here).
    "Τα αλλοπαρμένα αγγελούδια μου κοίτα
    πως ξεμυτάνε απ’ του ουρανού τα λημέρια
    Κι όλοι το ξέρουν πως
    απόψε θα έχουμε μια όμορφη νύχτα
    κι αύριο θα είναι μια καλύτερη μέρα.."

panselinos said:

Yes, the original song "Ti ine afto pou to lene agapi" ("What is this thing they call love") is sung by Sophia Loren and Tonis Maroudas. Yup, like Ypnos has already mentioned, it's in Greek, from the soundtrack of the movie "To pedi ke to delfini" (1957).

All other English and Greek versions are covers, including the Julie London one. It has been performed also by Harry Belafonte, Nana Mouskouri, Giannis Parios, Haris Alexiou and so on.

No, mwro mou, it's not a traditional song. The music is written by Takis Morakis.

The English lyrics, written by Paul Francis Webster, go like this (or at least Julie London's version, which I happen to have):

There's a tale that they tell of a dolphin
    And a boy made of gold
    With the shells and the pearls in the deep
    He has lain many years fast asleep

What they tell of the boy on a dolphin
    Who can say if it's true
    Should he rise from the depths of the ocean
    Any wish that you wish may come true

You say he is only a statue
    And what can a statue achieve
    And yet while I'm gazing at you
    My heart tells my head to believe

If the boy whom the gods have enchanted
    Should arise from the sea
    And the wish of my heart could be granted
    I would wish that you loved only me

As you can see, they have nothing to do with the Greek lyrics, written by Giannis Fermanoglou.

6. Oberon said:

Thank you all for the help.. and wonderful information.. I will look for copies of the recordings... Efhadisto poli... poli....agapismou.... Oberon

7. MysteryGirl said:

I know I'm a little bit late in jumping into this discussion, but I too would like to find the Mary Kaye version of the song. I have Julie London's recording as well as the one by Sophia Loren. Both are lovely, but wish they were longer because the song goes by much too quickly - I loop it on iTunes.

I'd be interested in hearing the other versions - Parios, Mouskouri, etc.

I have the movie on permanent save on my DVR

My next step is to actually write out the phonic versions into the Greek.

8. Oberon said:

Mystery Girl... my best wishes.. I have never found a recording, here on the net, of the Mary Kaye's version... and the other recordings, well they are not the type of singers I care for...Oberon

9. MysteryGirl said:

Post I do understand about the preference....but..

Mystery Girl... my best wishes.. I have never found a recording, here on the net, of the Mary Kaye's version... and the other recordings, well they are not the type of singers I care for...Oberon
    Have you heard the Sophia Loren version where she sings in Greek? The song is not very long, and almost the entire first half is instrumental and somewhat dramatic, but then flows to a slightly softer and definitely something to use in dancing provocatively - even belly dancing, but then she eventually begins singing and it goes into the duet. I took the song and looped the lyrics adding them to the end of the song. It's actually quite a lovely and very romantic song.

Even if someone didn't understand a word of Greek, they would most definitely realize it's quite romantic with her style.

The Julie London version is a good cover, but again short, so I altered that one too - looping it twice to make one continuous song.

I'll ask a few of my cousins in Greece if they have the Mary Kaye version.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure anyone would even see it because of the timeline.

10. MysteryGirl said:

Post Just ran the beginning and ending of the movie...

I just began the movie and the opening instrumental is what's on the Sophia Loren version where she goes into the Greek.

Now that I'm listening to the song as the opening credits appear, the Mary Kaye version is almost magical and seductive.

At the end of the movie when you see the boat with the statue, Mary Kaye begins again with "You say he's only a statue.... and ends with Sophia Loren laying down looking up quite seductively and Alan Ladd "falling" for her ending with the long awaited kiss and the end of the song "and would wish that you loved only me."

Since I have the instrumentals, I'm wondering if I can separate them and actually sing it myself with Mary Kaye's style. Because I hadn't seen the movie in a while, I had forgotten how exquisite Mary Kaye's interpretation is.