A film about a Balkan folkloric song

Thread: A film about a Balkan folkloric song

Tags: None
  1. gospodinBezkrai said:

Lightbulb A film about a Balkan folkloric song

Many times on the Balkans, instead of being proud of our common roots and shared culture, we are arguing whether this or that song/food/craft is originally greek or turkish, bulgarian or macedonian, etc.

You might be interested to find and watch a recent journey documentary called "Whose is this song?"
    It is about a very old song that is very famous and very "ours" in every of our countries, the same melody but with its own national text and story. Sometimes leading to conflicts that the film-maker Adela Peeva barely escapes.
    She follows the melody across the peninsula and reveals something also about the life in our neighbours.

More at IMDB

panselinos said:

Добре дошъл във форума, господин Безкрай.

Да, филмът е разкошен. Адела Пеева заслужава адмирации.
    По скромното ми мнение, обаче, песента има еврейски произход; страните на Балканите далеч не са единствените, където тя е позната.

Имам песента в множество варианти, включително и този на испанските евреи.

P.S. Трябва да чуеш "Sacred Shabbat" на Loreena McKennitt.

angeliki_sr said:

Wow,I didn't realize until now how bulgarian and serbian are similar.Panselinos I understood almost everything that you said!WOW!This is a new experience for me...
    (Sorry for being offtopic)

To reply to thread:Is that film on Bulgarian?

And,gospodinBezkrai,you wrote a hell of the comment on IMDB!!

panselinos said:

This is the reason why I told you Serbian was not so foreign to me being Bulgarian, Angeliki. Now you know what I meant.

I'll go take a look at our gospodinBezkrai's comment now, because I haven't read it yet. Shame on me.

maria_gr said:

Of course Angeliki mou Serbian is similar with Bulgarian. Both languages belong to the Slavic languages. It's like Spanish and Italian, they are so similar that sometimes they confuse me.
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

Spring said:

yeah I was also surprised when I visited Bulgaria once. We absolutely understand each other!
    gospodinBezkrai, you are sooooo right! thanks for the topic! We even manage to fight over a cheese! Well the particular case I'm referring to was Feta cheese... A dairy factory in the town where I live used to produce it and of course we called it "ours" but then... Greece won the custody (lol) in 2005 and now only Greeks can use the name..
    But that's a matter of money and market.. who gets the "patent" first...
    No matter whose it is - I love it! The same applies to OUR music, other food and all other great things coming from this part of the world While Europe is being united, we should seriously start too instead of continuing dividing...

PS
    Belgium / Bulgaria
    Language:
    Bulgarian / Macedonian / Turkish

how did Belgium get into the combination I wonder

7. gospodinBezkrai said:

Панселинос, звучи страхотно! Аз също много се интересувам от фолклор на много народи и ще е супер ако можем да обменим "опит"! Имам обемна колекция от sefardic, yiddish, judeo-arabe и прочие жанрове!

Сега съм твърде зает с работа за да се занимавам с това, но след два-три месеца непременно ще те потърся! Надявам се да си още тук?

----

Джеси Ангелики! Извини али немам праву чирилицу овде!
    Да, jа мислим да jе српски наjслични jезик са бугарским. Руски jе исто сличан али не толико, па и иде с другом страну од српски. Баш овако:
    српски <--- бугарски -------> руски

После jедан сат код Србиу сам почео да разумем приче (jош у воз Димитровград - Ниш, са свима шперцерема), па после jош пет дана - да причам и jа!
    Али молим те, немоj да ми гледаш граматику, хе-хе-хе! (у бугарски нема падеже и зато немам усечаj за нjима, речи ги завршим како доjде)

А име Ангелики ми мало звучи као грчко?
    Last edited by gospodinBezkrai; 10-06-2007 at 02:45 PM.

8. gospodinBezkrai said:

Yes, film is bulgarian but I think there is released international DVD version!
    Probably you can download it by emule too and find subs. I will check this. (I watched it in a cinema though)

Spring, where are you from? i am curious

Yes, I grew up thinking that yoghurt, tarator (tzatziki), sirene (feta cheese) are some of THE bulgarian things (in sense that they define our nation) but then I came to England and here the shops are full of "Greek Feta Cheese", "Greek-Style Yoghurt", "Greek Filo Pastry", "Tzatziki" - rrrrr, really pisses me off!

When I cook something at home for my housemates, they are like "and what is this..." "well, this is something from my mother, we call it musakA", "aaa! musAka? Of Course!! I know it, its greek!"

Obviously, greeks being with the "western world" for quite a while were able to establish their marketing here. But it is quite annoying! Almost makes me jump on one place and scream "No! its BULGARIAN, BULGARIAN, BULGARIAN!!! My mother made it, and before her my grandmother made it, and now i learnt to make it, r-r-r-r..."
    Last edited by gospodinBezkrai; 10-06-2007 at 02:51 PM.

9. gospodinBezkrai said:

PS: I hope all our peoples realise soon that most of our tradition is not bulgarian, greek, romanian, turkish, etc. but usually just Balkan (+Anatolian) with some regional variations.

Thats the purpose of that film too.

Spring said:

I don't think that will ever happen... but we can hope!
    I am from Serbia (but from Yugoslavia actually ;p )

angeliki_sr said:

@panselinos:Now I understand!
    @maria:I knew they were similar but wasn't even imagining that they are almost the same.
    @gospodinBezkrai:U al dobro pricas srpski!!Razbiram ja bugarski ali me ova vasa slova mnogo bune...Angeliki jeste grcko ime...Ali ga ja mnogo volim...kao i Grcku...Moje pravo ime je ANDJELIJA...

panselinos said:

Да, тук съм, нямам намерение да мърдам никъде. :р И аз не бих могла да се похваля с много свободно време, но редовно минавам набързичко, за да съм в час с "оперативната обстановка". Играя го контролиращ орган все пак. :d
    Страхотно! И аз живо се интересувам от фолклора. На разположение съм за "обмяна на опит и материал".

Е, ако трябва да си говорим честно, мусаката не е нито българско, нито гръцко, а арабско ястие. Вярно, доста различно от онова, което ние разбираме под "мусака", но все пак е с арабски произход. И думата е арабска.

Както разочаровано констатира сестра ми, след като ме помоли да я заведа да хапне нещо традиционно гръцко: "Ъх! Ами това е млечна салата! Това пък са шишчета. Ама това пък са тригуни, бе! Че и месеница.". Аз й се ухилих: "А ти да не би да очакваше точно пък в Солун да се ядат мариновани скакалци? Сега разбра ли какво се опитвам да ти покажа?". :d

13. Zaza said:

hmm i would really like to see this film is there any chance that someone here has its torrent link? or is there any other site to download it from?

lopatka said:

:]] Wow, I just found this thread! I watched a trailer for this movie, and all I can say is that I'm totally fascinated with the fact that almost every single Balkan country claims this song for itself (well.. I didn't see anything about Romania, but I won't be surprised if it turns out to "be" Romanian as well). I personally have never heard it in Bulgaria, and I personally don't think it's Bulgarian (meaning Thracian or Slavic), as I can clearly hear something Arabic to it :] But it's nice to see one more proof that people from the Balkans share sooo many things in common. It's just ridiculous that we hate each other! ...
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

Spring said:

I wouldn't agree that we hate eachother!
    The statement applies to minorities who either have deep issues with themselves due to the way their parents raised them or as a consequence of certain events.. But it's mostly a climate that gets created when it suits political interests
    At least that's the way I like to see it but then again - I do live in Vojvodina where we are used to variety lol

tedinkyyy said:

I don't hate Serbians I like them ur so cool people!I have some friends from Serbia and we understand each other almost perfectly.I think we (Bulgaria and Serbia) should have closer relations
    But I can't say the same thing for some other neighbours of ours which definitely don't feel very friendly about us ...
    Last edited by tedinkyyy; 03-26-2009 at 06:27 AM.
    Eins.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Zwei..hier kommt die Sonne
    Drei.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.