zajdi zajdi

Thread: zajdi zajdi

Tags: None
  1. Zaza said:

Default zajdi zajdi

hello all,

i have one question regarding the translation of the macedonian song zajdi zajdi.

why is the line "crnej goro" translated as "mourn forest"? doesn't "gora" mean "the mountain"? i hope some kind macedonian person could answer this for me

ty <3

Lydia_the angel said:

Arrow

Hello there..I think I have done the translation of that song earlier, so probably you refer to it

I will try to explain it to you. The word "Гора" means Forest- or Wood, whilst the word mountain refers more to the Macedonian word we use- "Планина"

So forest or wood it is the smaller one, while mountain it is more like the high mountains...That's why the used word "forest" it is more appropriate and exact translation of the word- "гора"

I hope I helped U..If you have any other questions U may ask me at any time..
    Greetings from Macedonia, xxx
    The icon lamp has brighten the sky
    white aureole are knitting the angels for you
    your star extinguished, as soon as I found you, you left
    ***TOŠE FOREVER IN OUR HEARTS***

3. Zaza said:

thank you, i will take your word for it since you are a native! and now allow me to go and delete the silly digital dictionaries

just one more question though... you would not use the word "hill" here maybe, hill being a small planina? :P in any case, i love forests so "forest" works fine by me!

greetings to macedonia :*

Lydia_the angel said:

Wink

U R welcome dear, by the way I agree that some dictionaries online are not so trustworthy source

The another word you mentioned 'hill' can't be use here, because for "hill" there exists another word in our language- " височина (брдо)"

"Гора" it is the forest, the wood that U can enter in by foot, while on the "Планина"- mountain U need to climb on...

Hope now things are more clear

Take care, xxx

5. gospodinBezkrai said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zaza View Post
    thank you, i will take your word for it since you are a native! and now allow me to go and delete the silly digital dictionaries

just one more question though... you would not use the word "hill" here maybe, hill being a small planina? :P in any case, i love forests so "forest" works fine by me!

greetings to macedonia :*
    Hi Zaza!
    It is simple - in most Slavic languages "gora" means mountain, it is related to "gore", "goren" which means up, upper.

In Bulgarian and Macedonian there was a late shift of meaning to "forest" - maybe because here forests and mountains are usually related. in fact in old songs it could be read both ways and it still makes sense. In the South Slavic languages mountain became to be called "planina", i dont know where that root comes from.

another word for a mountain in general, and for the biggest mountain in particular, is "balkan" which is a Bulgar one (non-slavic). Wherever the Bulgar tribes settled for longer the most prominent mountain was named "Balkan" - in this case the long range that today is officially noted Stara planina. Only in 18th-19th century western geographers decided to name the entire peninsula after that mountain. Before that it was simply known as Rumelia ("the Roman people" in turkish - because it had the last holds of Byzantium)

Hope this helps?
    Last edited by gospodinBezkrai; 10-23-2007 at 06:26 PM.

6. gospodinBezkrai said:

PS: Also for the metaphors used in "Zajdi, zajdi" (why "crnej goro" should refer to a forest) see the related text of an older song which i translated here.

7. vladeoh said:

Smile

Zajdi zajdi it is one of the most beautiful old macedonian songs..very lovely..and forest it is the right and best word for "gora" (mountain and wood are synonyms)..Lydia is right

YouTube movie clip - Zajdi, zajdi jasno sonce

Original track of Macedonian Song Zajdi, zajdi jasno sonce (Set, set bright sun) performed by Aleksandar Sarievski. All images of sunsets are taken in Macedonia. Starts with an old French map of Macedonia (Just to know where is Macedonia and why Greeks and Bulgarians trying to still our name, language and culture). Ends with and old image of Aleksandar Sarievski (child from the right side of the picture) taken in his place of birth Galichnik - Macedonia.
    Last edited by vladeoh; 10-23-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Lydia_the angel said:

Thumbs up

Well done vlade I totally agree with the mentioned
    It is great link with great music and lovely images. I always enjoy listening to this lovely and unique song of ours Take care dear, xxx