The country of My Dreams

Thread: The country of My Dreams

Tags: None
  1. fred wells said:

Default The country of My Dreams

Please translate 'ree' in the following lyric: Ik vroeg een zeeman aan de ree . The best I can so far is 'deer' and that doesn't work. Thanks, fred wells

Aish said:

It means "i asked a seaman on the ___" and there is no word "ree" in dutch i guess...
    ...Onlar bilmez onlar bilmez
    Bakarlar yüzüme
    Sanki yoksun gibi
    Sanki yalanmışız gibi...

SaveTonight said:

I looked it up, 'ree' isnt used allot in Dutch but it means something like a safe place for a ship to float

What song is it anyway?

4. fred wells said:

Thanks for looking up 'ree'. Since I posted the request, I was at our local college to get German translations. The librarian there forund a good web site for Dutch and found 'road' or 'roadway' as a tramslation among a couple others. That would work since the boy is standing on a dike and there would be a roadway there. Thanks again. (How is it 'Over the rainbow'?)

SaveTonight said:

You're welcome!
    German doesn't look that much like Dutch, some words are the same but they can still have a diffrent meaning.

Its great over the rainbow, kinda peacefull.
    What about you?

6. fred wells said:

Peacefull here, too. We got 6 inches of snow yesterday so it could be a winter wonerland except for the shoveling. The good news is the days are getting longer now that the Winter Solstice is behind us. Spring is coming. I didn't answer your question about the song title; it's 'The Country of My Dreams' (I don't have the Dutch title here) sung by Jantje (Smit) when he was about 12. The German I was trying to translate was a fun song 'Lebt Denn der Holzmichel Noch?'. A lot of "slang" there, but I worked it out. regards, fred