baietii sunt baieti
    si femeile sunt....hei
    ca pot sa spuna "te iubesc" cu alt nume pe buze
    sa se uite frumos gandind la un prost
    care vorba ta parcheaza o masina
    pe dos
    chiar nu stiu ce sa zic frate
    asa sunt toate
    cred ca...sa-si demonstreze ca....inca merge ca....nu e de bani sau ca....vor mai bine
    daca nu era cu tine il insela cu tine
    bine tu esti plecat si e marfa
    se duce-n club bea si o ia la pas...
    pas cu pas.....dupa bas un pas......si se rupe in dans
    si oricare ar da la el ca femeia e frumoasa si arata ca vrea
    si e clar ca ii place asa
    da chiar pe patul tau si pe muzica ta?
    da-o ma in....oo

refren: bïs x3 (less)

(And now for a slight twist on the old method: could someone with the time, and inclination, possibly translate some of the comments which follow, taken from those posted with the YouTube video for the song? It is this kind of material used in conjunction with the more formal verbal stylings that greatly accelerate the learning of the limba for me. Multumesc foarte mult! DISCLAIMER: I really tried not to include those which use bad words, but I really don't know too many of those in Romanian so please excuse me if I have erred in places)

1. Zuuuper tare melodia....si versurile sunt verry truth...azi te rog nu pleca...si ia acum 10 minute te insela qu altu...cat tupeu..faci ce vrea ea..ii esti alaturi..faci orice pt ea si te inseala cu persoana care o urasti tu cel mai mult...mai si neaga dupa ce ii prinzi..

2. adevarul e ca suntem ca niste catelusi .... si le iubim mult prea mult si am face orice pt ele, si daca e dragoste adevarata ti-ai da si viata doar sa stii ca ii e ei bine... ia cine e de acor ???

3. eu zic k fiecare trece prin asta cel putin 1 data in viata... dar lucrurile se schimba dupa o asemenea experienta...

4. asa ii cum zice Uzzi...toate is la fel...ca nu sti tot timpu ce face femeia in lipsa ta

5a. iar prostia îşi spune cuvântul... toţi bărbaţii care păţesc ca în video de mai sus sunt nijte looseri... din moment ce nu sunt în stare să îşi păstreze femeile doar pentru ei... stupid video...

5b. femeile nu insala doar asa pentru ca au kef, ci o fac atunci cand s simt neglijate sau cand simt ca ceva e in neregula cu relatia lor...si versurile melodiei sunt foarte reale in rest! clipul insa e copie fidela dupa timberlake...

6. prea tare...si adevarat " daca nu era cu tine te insela cu tine"

7. cel mai tare

(I am making my own attempts at translating these comments for comparison to the correct versions, so I won't check here until finished with those...tnx)

Cristina said:

versuri:

smiley:

sunt cu fata spre usa
    i'm with my face toward the dor
    si cu ochii spre ea
    and with (my) eyes toward her
    zic ''adio'' ea zice
    i say 'goodbye' she says
    ''te rog nu pleca''
    ''please don't go"
    fac un pas
    i make a step
    ea se arunca in genunchii ei goi
    she throws on her naked knees
    am vazut-o cu el si nu pot
    i saw her with him and i can't
    da inapoi
    go back (the mean change my mind)

o masina parcata pe dos
    a car bad parked
    hainele aruncate pe jos
    the clothes throwed down
    deschid usa destul de usor
    i open the door quite easy
    aud zgomote in dormitor
    i hear the noises in the bedroom
    imi faceam mii de griji pentru ea
    i was making thousands of worries (meaning i was very worryed)for her
    dar telefonul inchis il tinea
    but the phone (she) was keeping off
    ei se iubeau sus in camera mea
    they were loving themselves (they were making love) up in my room
    pe patulmeu si pe muzica mea
    on my bed and on my music.

refren:

mi-as fi vandut si sufletu'
    i would have sell my soul
    pentru o femeie cum esti tu
    for a woman like you
    dar in lipsa mea
    but in my absence
    tu mi l-ai amanetat deja [bis]
    you have already sold (pown??)it(my soul)
    uzzy:

si nu o sa mai fie la fel
    and it won't be the same
    pur si simplu
    Purerly
    baietii sunt baieti
    the boys are boys
    si femeile sunt....hei
    and the women are...hei
    ca pot sa spuna "te iubesc" cu alt nume pe buze
    that they can tell 'i love you' with other name on their lips
    sa se uite frumos gandind la un prost
    to look (at you)nice (but) thinkinmg at a stupid
    care vorba ta parcheaza o masina
    who,as you said,is parking a car
    pe dos
    bad
    chiar nu stiu ce sa zic frate
    i realluy don't know what to say,brother
    asa sunt toate
    all are like this
    cred ca...sa-si demonstreze ca....inca merge ca....nu e de bani sau ca....vor mai
    i think that...to demonstrate theirselves that...it still works like...it's not about the money or that...they want
    bine
    better
    daca nu era cu tine il insela cu tine
    if she wouldn't have been with you she would have cheated him with you
    bine tu esti plecat si e marfa
    ok,you are away and it is cool
    se duce-n club bea si o ia la pas..
    goes in club,drinks and lives.
    pas cu pas.....dupa bas un pas......si se rupe in dans
    step by step...after a bass a step...and dances( like crazy)
    si oricare s-ar da la el ca femeia e frumoasa si arata ca vrea
    and anyone would want him cause the woman is beautiful and she looks that she wants (something like this ..i can't really translate)
    and it's claerly that she likes like that
    but just in your bed and on your music?
    da-o ma in....oo
    (this is a swear word...)

refren: bïs x3 (less)

wolver99 said:

"...this is a swear word..."

Oh no--and ironic! I found the song only by doing a search for 'sa' based on your other post in the Learning Romanian thread, lol.

Also there are some lines in the translation which I don't understand in the English, a few examples would be:

"she throws on her naked knees"
    "but the phone (she) was keeping off"

And does 'ei se iubeau sus in camera mea' really translate literally into something like "they were loving themselves" before making the figurative step in interpretation to "they were making love"?

This is fascinating stuff, Cristina, and your translation is very charming & provides many nice new insights for me into some of the inner workings of Romanian sentences. Wow. Maybe it is not always spot on in the English versions, but honestly everyone slips up in their own ways with respect to translating into English (at least everyone I've had experience with so far, including other friends) no matter how fluent, which I assume sheds much light on fundamental differences in the way each of us "thinks" or perceives the world from the standpoint of our own languages.

I can't even imagine how bad some of my first real attempts at writing paragraphs in Romanian are going to seem to native speakers! Yow...

Thanks for your generosity & effort. Apreciez ajutorul--definitely!

4. dya said:

"she throws on her naked knees"
    Actually the idea is that she falls down on her( naked )knees but she doesn't just kneel, she literally throws herself on the floor on her knees(in a somehow begging posture)

"but the phone (she) was keeping off"
    her mobile phone was shut. She kept her mobile phone closed so she couldn't be called.

'ei se iubeau sus in camera mea'
    They were actually making love. Cristina literally translated the expression wanting to keep the flavour of the lyrics. They were loving eachother/themselves makes no sense in English but try to think it in Romanian to see the meaning.

wolver99 said:

~"but the phone (she) was keeping off"
    her mobile phone was shut. She kept her mobile phone closed so she couldn't be called.~

lol that's the first time I've run into anything like that concerning mobile phones & song lyrics in Romanian or anywhere else!

Cristina said:

Haha. I was at work when i translated the song ...so in a big hurry..Sorry if i done some mistakes :-P
    Keep learning!!!

Cristina said:

Quote Originally Posted by wolver99 View Post

1. Zuuuper tare melodia....si versurile sunt verry truth...azi te rog nu pleca...si ia acum 10 minute te insela qu altu...cat tupeu..faci ce vrea ea..ii esti alaturi..faci orice pt ea si te inseala cu persoana care o urasti tu cel mai mult...mai si neaga dupa ce ii prinzi..

2. adevarul e ca suntem ca niste catelusi .... si le iubim mult prea mult si am face orice pt ele, si daca e dragoste adevarata ti-ai da si viata doar sa stii ca ii e ei bine... ia cine e de acor ???

3. eu zic k fiecare trece prin asta cel putin 1 data in viata... dar lucrurile se schimba dupa o asemenea experienta...

4. asa ii cum zice Uzzi...toate is la fel...ca nu sti tot timpu ce face femeia in lipsa ta

5a. iar prostia îşi spune cuvântul... toţi bărbaţii care păţesc ca în video de mai sus sunt nijte looseri... din moment ce nu sunt în stare să îşi păstreze femeile doar pentru ei... stupid video...

5b. femeile nu insala doar asa pentru ca au kef, ci o fac atunci cand s simt neglijate sau cand simt ca ceva e in neregula cu relatia lor...si versurile melodiei sunt foarte reale in rest! clipul insa e copie fidela dupa timberlake...

7. cel mai tare

(I am making my own attempts at translating these comments for comparison to the correct versions, so I won't check here until finished with those...tnx)

1. Zuuuper tare melodia....si versurile sunt verry truth...azi te rog nu pleca...si ea acum 10 minute te insela qu altu...cat tupeu..faci ce vrea ea..ii esti alaturi..faci orice pt ea si te inseala cu persoana care o urasti tu cel mai mult...mai si neaga dupa ce ii prinzi..

Very cool the song...and the lyrics are very truth...today please don't go...and 10 minutes ago she was cheating you with someone else...so much aplomb..you do what she wants...you are besides her..you do anything for her and she cheats you with the person that you most hate...further more she denys (it) after you catch them..

2. adevarul e ca suntem ca niste catelusi .... si le iubim mult prea mult si am face orice pt ele, si daca e dragoste adevarata ti-ai da si viata doar sa stii ca ii e ei bine... ia cine e de acord ???

The truth is that we are like puppies...and we love them too much and we could do anything for them,and if it is true love you could give also your life
    only to know that she is ok...let's see who agrees???

I say that (k-că) everybody passes through this at least ones in a life time...but the things changes after such an experience...

it's like Uzzy says...all are the same...that you don't whst your woman does when you are not there...

and full of stupidity (thet's the meaning-prostia isi spune cuvantul=the stupidity tells his word) ...all the men who suffer like in the video up there are some losers ...as they are not able to keep their women only for them...stupid video...

The women don't cheat only like this,beacause they feel like (for whim??) but they do it when they feel they are neglected (i don't know if this is the word,the meaning is that the men don't pay attention to them anymore) or when they feel that something is wrong with their relationship...and the lyrics of the song are very real otherwise! But the video is true copy after timberlake

Too good (or cool)..and true :if she wouldn't have been with you she was cheating him with you"

7. cel mai tare

The best

wolver99 said:

Hey, I wasn't too far off on most of these; I guess I'm a little better at reading some of the Romanian than I am at writing it at this point. I do plan to do quite a bit of study over the weekend so maybe a few more pieces of the puzzle will come together for me.

Thank you, Cristina, very very much; I consider it one of my better Christmas presents so far this year.

One question about the translation of the song lyrics themselves that I am still having a problem making sense of:

...si oricare s-ar da la el ca femeia e frumoasa si arata ca vrea
    and anyone would want him cause the woman is beautiful and she looks that she wants (something like this ..i can't really translate)
    but just in your bed and on your music?...

I'm just at a loss as to how the English, which Cristina admits even made her stumble, goes with some of those Romanian "clauses" to express whatever it is, exactly, that the lyrics are trying to express. I'm guessing it must be some kind of what we would call an "idiomatic" expression, which, whether or not true, is certainly making me feel somewhat idiotic at this point...?

9. dya said:

...si oricare s-ar da la el ca femeia e frumoasa si arata ca vrea
    but just in your bed and on your music?...

OK, I listened to the song again. Typo!!

It's:
    si oricare s-ar da la ea ca femeia e frumoasa si arata ca vrea

So the translation goes like this: And anyone would hit on her, cause the woman is beautiful and she shows that she wants it(=she looks willing)

and it's certain/clear/obvious that she likes it like this

but really on your bed and on your music(word-by-word translation)

What he means is a rethorical question, as if the idea would be unbelievable/unacceptable:
    (she does all these) right in your bed and on your music(while listening to your music)?!

Cristina said:

Hey, I wasn't too far off on most of these; I guess I'm a little better at reading some of the Romanian than I am at writing it at this point. I do plan to do quite a bit of study over the weekend so maybe a few more pieces of the puzzle will come together for me.

Thank you, Cristina, very very much; I consider it one of my better Christmas presents so far this year.
    I'm very glad that I can help you..

mister Xazos said:

Sorry to interfere, but Wolver, you're prearing to send your friend some Christmas messages ? I mean in Romanian...
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

12. Sash87 said:

Exclamation

this is a better translation, and more liriical

smiley:

i'm facing the door
    and looking at her
    i say "good bye" she says
    ''please don't go"
    i take a step
    she throws herself on her bare knees
    i've seen her with him and i cannot
    go back

a car badly parked
    clothes thrown on the floor
    i open the door pretty easy
    i hear noises in the bedroom
    i was worried sick for her
    but she kept her mobile closed
    they were making love upstairs in my room
    on my bed and on my music

chorus:

i would had sold my soul
    for a women like yourself
    but when i was away
    you already pawned it [bis]

uzzy:

and it will not be the same
    pure and simple
    boys are boys
    and women are... hei
    they can say "i love you" with a different name on their lips
    watching you nicely while thinking of a dumb ***
    who as you said parked a car
    badly
    really i don't know what to say bro
    they are all like this
    i think that...they try to prove themselves that....it still works that....it's not about money or that....they want better
    if she wasn't with you she would cheat him with you
    ok, you are away and it's cool
    she goes in the club drinks and starts to step...
    step by step.....after the bass a step......and starts to dance
    and anyone would hit on her because the woman is beautyful and shows that she wants it
    and it's obious she like it like that
    but on your bed and your music?
    dude, what the....oo

chorus: bïs x3 (less)

wolver99 said:

Sash, that is great, thank you very much! Clearly this is not an easy song to translate at all, I needed to put parts from each translation together in various ways before I could really make sense of everything.

I'm glad I found this song, I have really learned a lot about the language and it's also very tricky to hear as, to me, the 'sung rhythms' are a bit different and more challenging than anything else I've yet heard in terms of sung or spoken Romanian.

Multumesc everybody!

wolver99 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sosollikos View Post
    Sorry to interfere, but Wolver, you're prearing to send your friend some Christmas messages ? I mean in Romanian...
    Sorry for the late response, Soso, but yes I did, although I kept the Romanian parts very simple & included some music (she & I both love music & dance a LOT) and had to resort to a mishmash of Romanian, Spanish, and English in places to say everything I wanted to say...as she did back to me.

Next year should be much different, though.

p.s. In fact, we've even spoken over the phone a few times to wish each other Merry Christmas and then Happy New Year. She always makes me say something new in Romanian to her, and this last time she totally surprised me with the results of the English study she's been doing in secret!

She never laughs so delightfully or smiles as brightly as she does when I am trying to speak to her in her own language in chat. It's very cool.

Cristina said:

Sash, that is great, thank you very much! Clearly this is not an easy song to translate at all, I needed to put parts from each translation together in various ways before I could really make sense of everything.

I'm glad I found this song, I have really learned a lot about the language and it's also very tricky to hear as, to me, the 'sung rhythms' are a bit different and more challenging than anything else I've yet heard in terms of sung or spoken Romanian.

Multumesc everybody!
    I tryed to translate the song ,as much as i could, word by word to be more easy for you and the others to understand each word...the real meaning of the word.Of course Sash's translation is more correct cause helps you to understand the exactly meaning of the lyrics but u can't find which word means something and which word other thing...
    Good luck!

16. dya said:

I just feel the need to clarify things a bit:

There are two ways of translating a song in this forum, and I'm not talking only about the Romanian Lyrics Forum.

1. Translating the song word by word, even if in english it doesn't sound very nice. This type of translation is usually addressed to those who want to learn the language. It is helpful because it allows you to actually identify the words and it gives you the opportunity to aquire the topic of the language, which many times is very different from English.

2. Translating a song in a nice/decent/poetical/lyrical English. This type of translation is addressed to those who simply want to know what the song is about. In this case, the translator can "work" on the lyrics up to the point of using totally different expressions in an attempt to reproduce the meaning of the song.

For those who want to learn, seeing both versions is of help because one offers the possibility of word identification and the other offers an insight on the meaning.

There's nothing wrong in any of the two types. In the end the final purpose of a translation is to serve the interest of the one who asked for the translation in the first place. Whatever that interest may be. As long as it is accomplished, the translators' work is not in vain.

Cristina said:

I wasn't angry Dya, I just wanted to explain Wolver why the two translations are a bit different, that's all...

18. dya said:

I realised that, Cristina After all, we're both Romanians ! I would have replied in the exact way!!

As for my part, I just wanted to take the opportunity and make the "different translations" issue clear

wolver99 said:

And dya, I want to say that I agree with you entirely and that you make a very good point.

I have found all of the translations VERY useful, even when some of it is unclear to me it is helpful to understand why it is unclear. And as I have mentioned in other places, in my particular case I not only want to learn Romanian more deeply than a simple word-by-word understanding, but in a contextual sense also, especially when idiomatic expressions & poeticisms & jokes & puns come into play, and for this one needs more than just the dictionary definitions for the words.

So really there is no 'better' or 'worse' version in translation for some students of the Romanian language, it depends, in my opinion, on what the student's goals are.

I haven't seen ANYTHING posted in this forum that has not been useful or helpful, but sometimes it is certainly necessary to ask questions in order to see what the nature of the usefulness might be in a particular case.

mister Xazos said:

Sorry for the late response, Soso, but yes I did, although I kept the Romanian parts very simple & included some music (she & I both love music & dance a LOT) and had to resort to a mishmash of Romanian, Spanish, and English in places to say everything I wanted to say...as she did back to me.

Next year should be much different, though.

p.s. In fact, we've even spoken over the phone a few times to wish each other Merry Christmas and then Happy New Year. She always makes me say something new in Romanian to her, and this last time she totally surprised me with the results of the English study she's been doing in secret!

She never laughs so delightfully or smiles as brightly as she does when I am trying to speak to her in her own language in chat. It's very cool.
    Love love love... Love sends you to haven, love sends you to hell. I'm out of this subject, not for me...
    As I am Romanian, I want to tell you that when a stranger speaks in Romanian to a friend from here is such an awesome thing. I mean... Not all can say "Salut, ce faci ?" Or more... It's a gratitude and brings you in a very good light !
    Aw Yea... Beautiful voices turn inside out the minds OMG ok, I shut....
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...