Please Help! Walk On the Wild Side Cover

Thread: Please Help! Walk On the Wild Side Cover

Tags: None
  1. lester42 said:

Default Please Help! Walk On the Wild Side Cover

There was a cover (I think) of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wildside in the late 80s/early 90s. I'm trying to figure out who it was. I can very clearly hear in my mind the almost speaking of the words and then the do do do do do dos.

I've ruled out Marky Mark's Wildside and Tribe Called Quest's Can I Kick It, which both sample the song.

I'm fairly sure the version I'm remembering was the actual song.

Please help!!! It's driving me mad.

lollipop said:

Maybe this link will help, as there are named all covers and samples of this song:

Edit: I paste the text here, as Wikipedia has 2 links with same start, so after pasting the link shorter one comes up, and it's not the correct one)

---------------------------
    Hip-hop group A Tribe Called Quest sampled the song in "Can I Kick It?", on their 1990 debut People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm. Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch also sampled the song in "Wildside" in 1991. Rhode Island hip-hop artist Sage Francis also sampled the song with his own version of "Can I Kick It?"

This song was covered by Company B, on their album "Jam on Me."

This song is usually the opening to Danny Masterson's LA radio show, "Feel My Heat".

Rod Stewart's 1977 hit song "The Killing of Georgie" covers similar terrain as "Walk on the Wild Side", and also takes important elements of melody and backing vocals. [1]

A snippet of the song was often used by Bono during performances of Bad in the mid eighties. Most notably performed at Live Aid in London.

Albert Pla, Catalonian-born musician has a version in Spanish, "El Lado Más Bestia De La Vida."

Video artist Stéphane Sednaoui made a short film inspired by the song, with a small cameo by Lou Reed and Charles Winters.

Echo and the Bunnymen usually merge this in concert with Nothing Lasts Forever.

In 1985, 79-year old veteran German actress Gerty Molzen recorded her own version of the song, cleaning up some of the lyrics in the process. She performed it on the David Letterman show in the US and on Gay Byrne's Late Late Show in Ireland.

A 2005 song by artist RX featured George W. Bush "singing" a mixture of John Lennon's "Imagine" and the chorus from "Walk on the Wild Side".

Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia wrote the music for Robert Hunter's composition Franklin's Tower using the "do-doo-doo" chorus as his jumping off point.

Irish/Australian comedian Jimeoin covered the song in the early 90's. The song featured the line "You should have seem them go go go, I said G-O-G-G-O, take a walk on the wildside" as a reference to the popular Yellow Pages ad on TV at the time.

The Strokes and Robbie Williams played the full song or a snippet during their last tours. The band Spunge have been known to break into the song in the middle of playing their hit "Have You Seen Mary?" in live performances. The Rentals also play it live before transitioning into their hit "Friends of P".

In December 2007, "Walk on the Wild Side" was featured in a TV commercial for Gatorade's new G2 drink.

In Jan 2008, radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh aired a parody of "Walk on the Wild Side" sung by John McCain

RIPStuNov22 said:

Company B
    It's during times like these that I remember my Father's
    last words, which were: "Don't son, that gun is loaded."

4. lester42 said:

Yeah, I started with wikipedia and tried to find all of those versions. I don't think it's Company B...that's women singing.

The version I'm remembering is a man singing/chanting.

It's not Marky Mark's Wildside...that song doesn't sing the very distinctive do do dos.

atmaestro said:

lester42,

I'm a-feared that there are too many covers of this song for anyone but you to find it by process of elimination (sorry, I was born with the gift of big feet instead of mind reading ). The attached link provides a list of artists who have recorded the song and some have a 30-second sample.

Happy Hunting!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

6. bluerose said:

hi
    could it be any of these
    jamie j morgan 1990
    beat system 1990

hope this helps a bit
    am sorry i dont have any lynks to listen to

7. rallysally said:

Thumbs up walk on the wild side?

Maybe i've got it.
    PVK Records
    Duffo:Walk on the wild side
    '45 single late 70 earlie 80's
    Starts with a synth (intro) and then a singer talks the first lines, starts to sing.
    ref: ¨walk walk walk on the wild side¨ and a wall of sound (synt)
    PM for the rest.

8. galvestonsurfergirl said:

Default found it

Velvet Underground
    http://furiphone.free.fr/V/The%20Vel...ild%20Side.mp3

i had the same question i could have sworn PM Dawn did it but I cant find anything to support that

9. King Farian said:

....maybe try... ' A Tribute to Velvet Underground' from about 1991'ish ... its 'indy' bands doing there songs.... ;').

10. Pretty Aye said:

Its that Jamie J Morgan guy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qCUKzCGjWY

11. Pretty Aye said:

Jamie J Morgan

12. Minilou6404 said:

Default White Lies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVAtmh0pe24)

Quote Originally Posted by lester42 View Post
    There was a cover (I think) of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wildside in the late 80s/early 90s. I'm trying to figure out who it was. I can very clearly hear in my mind the almost speaking of the words and then the do do do do do dos.

I've ruled out Marky Mark's Wildside and Tribe Called Quest's Can I Kick It, which both sample the song.

I'm fairly sure the version I'm remembering was the actual song.

Please help!!! It's driving me mad.
    __________________________________________________ ______

WHITE LIES (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVAtmh0pe24)