'Lumea doarme eu n-am somn' into English, please?

Thread: 'Lumea doarme eu n-am somn' into English, please?

Tags: None

wolver99 said:

Default 'Lumea doarme eu n-am somn' into English, please?

(Also, is Florin the last name? So that in the "Americanized" version it would be 'Peste Florin' and his wife Denisa Florin? TIA)

Florin Peste & Denisa - Lumea doarme eu n-am somn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSuimHvSb4

2x
    Lumea doarme, eu n'am somn
    La geam eu plang de dor
    Ce n'as da si cat as vrea
    S'apari la usa mea
    Dar stiu ca nu se va intampla..ooo da

Merg pe drum si nu vad bine
    Parca te vad doar pe tine

Merg pe drum ca un nebun
    Nici ploaia nu simt acum

Oare cine poate sa te aduca iar in viata mea?
    Dar esti prea departe si de dor imi plange inima

Ma'ntreb cand se va intampla
    Sa mai bati la usa mea
    ooo da

2x
    La geam eu plang de dor
    S'apari la usa mea

Merg pe drum ca un nebun
    Nici ploaia nu simt acum

Sa mai bati la usa mea
    ooo.. da
    Dar stïu ca nu se va'ntapla.. ooo da

(Btw, I realize that the entire second half of these is a repeat of the first, I posted it in its entirety in order to ask, is it a typo that the closing line is written "Dar stïu ca nu se va'ntapla" instead of "Dar stiu ca nu se va intampla" as it is the first time, or is va'ntapla an alternate version of va intampla somehow? Multumesc din nou.)

mister Xazos said:

2x
    Everybody sleeps, I can't get no sleeping
    La geam eu plang de dor
    At the window I'm crying 'cause I miss you
    What I wouldn't give, and how much I would like
    S'apari la usa mea
    you to show up at my door
    But I know this won't happend... ohh yeaa

I'm walking on the road and I can't see fine
    It's like I'm seeing only you

Merg pe drum ca un nebun
    I'm walking like a nut
    Nici ploaia nu simt acum
    I can't fee; neither the rain right now

But who can bring you back into my life ?
    You're too far away and my heart is crying 'cause I miss you

I wonder when It' ll happend
    Sa mai bati la usa mea
    to knock at my door
    ooo da
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

3. dya said:

Just to answer the questions now. Translation later, if Igrec won't have done it already by then

Quote Originally Posted by wolver99 View Post
    (Also, is Florin the last name? So that in the "Americanized" version it would be 'Peste Florin' and his wife Denisa Florin? TIA)
    Florin is the first name, the Christian name. Peste is the last name so that would be "The Peste Family" which I kind of doubt, cause peste means fish, but anything is possible!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wolver99 View Post
    (Btw, I realize that the entire second half of these is a repeat of the first, I posted it in its entirety in order to ask, is it a typo that the closing line is written "Dar stïu ca nu se va'ntapla" instead of "Dar stiu ca nu se va intampla" as it is the first time, or is va'ntapla an alternate version of va intampla somehow? Multumesc din nou.)
    This song is written/spelled in an awkard Romanian to say the least. You're right: se va'ntapla is actually se va intampla. I don't even know if it's a typo or this is actually how they meant to write it, but it's wrong and, NO, it's not used like this.

mister Xazos said:

Dear Volwer, Florin is the first name. In Romania we usually change the form (instead of Peste Florin, we use Florin Peste).
    Ok... Firstly, I must say this text isn't written in a correct form of Romanian. I mean it should look like "Ma intreb" or "Ma-ntreb". We use " ' " the apostrophe only when the last vowel "falls" like "Pîn' " In the interior never.
    The first form of "Dar asa ceva nu se va intimpla" is good. It has the meaning said by you.
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

mister Xazos said:

Si cred ca stii cine e Igrec Dya
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

6. dya said:

Oh, yes, I know who Igrec is Aceeași Mărie cu altă pălărie!!!

mister Xazos said:

Ha ha ha !
    Pai e mai bine asa... Mai ascuns
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

wolver99 said:

lol, thanks to both of you (I noted that the posting times were but a minute apart in one case) and I appreciate the note about the naming order; this has come up a few times in things like mailings already and I wanted to crosscheck with someone there as I continue to learn more and more about regional differences in your part of the world.

You know, I've been trying to translate some of these songs myself but I still run into problems like: lumea doarme...a combination that completely stumped me because I just couldn't figure out from any source (even hallo.ro provides so many possibilities for 'lumea' that it was impossible for me to know the correct one, let alone make sense of it in combination with 'doare').

At the same time I am amazed by how much more I am able to understand in writing and even when listening to the Romanian newscasters now, so I suppose some progress is going on. And yet every time I get on the phone with my best Romanian friend our conversation grinds to an almost immeditate halt because of all the minor, but crucial, things one needs to know just to carry on a simple conversation in everyday Romanian---wow!

I am working on those questions for the language thread, but each morning & evening they change again because those are the times I devote to at least a new half hour (often more) of study, answering (solving?) some of them myself while casting many others in a whole new light---I believe it's the differences in the way our 2 languages structure their thought & perceptions that is most difficult for me, actually; where the article or adjective or possessive pronoun is placed in relation to the verb or noun in contrast to how we do it---that is, THINK it, in English---but I hope to get past that hurdle, at least to a constructive degree, very very soon.

I know dya is patiently waiting.

And yes, I'm pretty sure I know who 'igrec' is, too but I don't know why the change.

mister Xazos said:

Hmmm... Better like this Wolver I guess it's just a changed name, isn't it ? haha .
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

10. dya said:

Well, Wolver, if you started to better understand songs or news and if the written text is not such a mystery at the first glance anymore, I would say that is definitely a big sign of progress

Yes, the construction of the phrase in Romanian is most of the times exactly opposite from how it is in English. That's why I told you , some time ago, that the first step is to actually get to think in Romanian. The rest will just be like "fill-in-the-blanks". BUt as long as you're not familiarized with how things work, it's simply a big ordeal to start learning vocabulary and plain rules.

As I can see, the part with thinking in Romanian is on a good path here