Learning Russian language

Thread: Learning Russian language

Tags: None

TheNuttyOne said:

Most of the time that's happens but there are some exceptions like Tom Hanks is 'Хэнкс' http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A5%...A2%D0%BE%D0%BC

jandros said:

I've also noticed that English-Russian cognates like Hero and Harem are spelled Герой and Гарем ..... ??
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

TheNuttyOne said:

harem? hmmm

Dangerous & Moving said:

yes, they also spell hmm like гммм
    ''Glupost je sama u sebe zaljubljena i njeno je samoljublje bezgranično.''

''Siamo niente senza fantasie''

''Наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте''

5. Milan. said:

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous & Moving View Post
    yes, they also spell hmm like гммм
    lol I saw aslo Гороскоп hehehe (or maybee гегеге) kidding

haydee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Milan. View Post
    Can someone explain to me why
    1. Harry Potter---Гарри Поттер (why not Харри?)
    2. Босна и Херцеговина (serbian)---Босния и Герцеговина (russian) ?
    What's with the letter Г?
    in old loan-words h is represented by г, in new - h is х, that's what I know about it
    this is funny too: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%93%...B7%D0%BE%D0%BD, http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A5%...81%D0%BE%D0%BD

7. JohnRyder said:

Usually "CH" is "Х", but "H" is "Г". Names and surenames of famous people, geographical names - have traditional writing, others - close to pronunciation. Sometimes even "J" is "Х", especially in Spanish loaned words. Ex. Don Juan - Дон Хуан. Дон Хенаро - Don Genaro. When learning Russian, U have to rely on memory more than theory

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by haydee View Post
    in old loan-words h is represented by г, in new - h is х, that's what I know about it
    this is funny too: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%93%...B7%D0%BE%D0%BD...
    OMG ... "Генри Хадсон" ..... Henry Hudson ... this is almost more than my feeble brain can handle

JohnRyder, this is beginning to sound like trying to teach English ... there can be so many variations, sometimes it seems like the "rules" don't even matter

Спасибо всем! Это хорошо изучить эти детали, отдельно
    (I hope this made sense ... Я использую словарь)
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuttyOne View Post
    harem? hmmm

http://www.rumvi.com/products/music/...5aa4/page.html
    (Я люблю номер 1, Арабская дорога)

TheNuttyOne said:

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post

http://www.rumvi.com/products/music/...5aa4/page.html
    (Я люблю номер 1, Арабская дорога)
    Seemed like a very strange choice on your part. Happens to me all the time though,

Q: Is that a 'D' or a 'B'
    A: 'B' as in ...... uh ... (and then you forget all the words that start with a 'b')

jandros said:

"Strange" in what way? .... I like the song, please disregard the image and the letter Г was the main point of discussion

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuttyOne View Post
    Q: Is that a 'D' or a 'B'
    A: 'B' as in ...... uh ... (and then you forget all the words that start with a 'b')
    Yep ... and on that general note ...

In the specific case of "Генри Хадсон" (for lack of a better example) should Г and Х be pronounced exactly the same? Or does it really matter so much?

vuoklis said:

D umm. it would be very funny if it was Генри Гадсон "гад"means "skunk" (well, a very bad person) but that was just a silly discourse :P
    Jandroooos! it's good to see (read) you here again
    Last edited by vuoklis; 11-12-2009 at 01:24 PM.

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by vuoklis View Post
    D umm. it would be very funne if it was Генри Гадсон "гад"means "skunk" (well, a very bad person) but that was just a silly discourse :P
    Jandroooos! it's good to see (read) you here again
    Привет Vuoklis!!! It's really good to see you again too!!
    Thanks for the tip, and be sure that I'll plant that word firmly into my memory

15. ageta said:

Privet vuoklis i bolšoe spasibo. Ja sapomnju eta slova

16. Milan. said:

Smile привет

How do you pronounce её? Sometimes I hear [jejo] and sometimes [jijo] (I could be wrong). Also, is it [menja] or [minja]? Спасибо.

vuoklis said:

[jejo], [menia] is used to emphasise the word, usually it's [jijo], [minja]

18. Milan. said:

Default Потому что

Sometimes it is pronounced [патаму шта], sometimes [патаму што]
    It depends on what?

i'm little one said:

Quote Originally Posted by Milan. View Post
    Sometimes it is pronounced [патаму шта], sometimes [патаму што]
    It depends on what?
    it doesnt depends from anythingit depends only from speaker,coz somebody tells [патаму шта], somebody tells [патаму што] but it means the same

20. Milan. said:

Quote Originally Posted by i'm little one View Post
    it doesnt depends from anythingit depends only from speaker,coz somebody tells [патаму шта], somebody tells [патаму што] but it means the same
    Хвала. Finally something easy.