Learning Russian language

Thread: Learning Russian language

Tags: None

vuoklis said:

you're welcome, people

CoOl_GiRl said:

Hey guys im new in here.. but i used quite translations from Marmaris.. so thxx a lot!! if u need help with spanish or english.. im here!!!

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by CoOl_GiRl View Post
    ...if u need help with spanish or english.. im here!!!
    I'm always trying to learn a few more words/phrases of Spanish, so I'm sure I'll see you around

душа, дух, в душе: One of my favorite words or inferences in any language is in regard to the soul or the spirit. Not only the words I just mentioned, but also similar words and expressions.

So I'm very curious: What are some common and informal phrases in Russian for expressing emotions, or thoughts about the spirit of a person or place or idea, anything like that? For example, how can various thoughts like these be rendered in Russian?

I love you, heart and soul.
    Soul of Russia
    Spirit or soul of humanity
    Kindred (twin?) soul or spirit
    You have a kind spirit, or you have a tender soul.
    Sweetness of the soul
    Broken heart
    She broke my heart.
    Spirit of freedom
    I'm not with you in body, but I'm with you in spirit.

Stuff like that. Anyone?
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

vuoklis said:

I love you, heart and soul.-я люблю тебя, сердце и душа
    Soul of Russia-душа России
    Spirit or soul of humanity-душа человечества
    Kindred (twin?) soul or spirit-родственная душа(in russian spirit is the same as soul)
    You have a kind spirit, or you have a tender soul.-у тебя добрая и нежная душа
    Sweetness of the soul-сладость души
    Broken heart-разбитое сердце
    She broke my heart.-она разбила мне сердце
    Spirit of freedom-душа свободы
    I'm not with you in body, but I'm with you in spirit.-я с тобой не телом а душой.

jandros said:

You know vuoklis, I think someone else (from USA or Canada?) just made it seem too complicated! Most of your phrases seem to be very straightforward, not complicated at all ... I mean, I thought that different words for soul or spirit might be used in some cases, like idioms or something. Anyway, now I feel a little silly Thank you!
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

vuoklis said:

yeah, well i might have misunderstood you a bit, so i feel very silly.
    ok, Soul of Russia-дух России
    Spirit or soul of humanity-душа/дух человечества(literally. woops, i red "and" instead of "or")
    Spirit of freedom-дух свободы
    You have a kind spirit, or you have a tender soul.-у тебя добрая душа/у тебя нежная душа(i made the same reading mistake :/ )
    i'm not very well versed in idioms. still, i'll just try to find those "complicated" phrases...

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by vuoklis View Post
    yeah, well i might have misunderstood you a bit, so i feel very silly.... i'm not very well versed in idioms. still, i'll just try to find those "complicated" phrases...
    Please don't feel that way It's good that you only mentioned a few things at once, so I can absorb them easily. And if you find something else, or if someone else chooses to add a little something, then I'll have another small slice of information that my simple mind can manage

morozova said:

We don't use expresion у тебя нежная душа, we say у тебя добрая душа. добрая- kind for female nouns and душа-soul

jandros said:

Thanx morozova

As for нежная, does it suggest "fragile"? Nezhnoe serdtse, an easily broken heart?

Спасибо снова за помощь!

morozova said:

нежная,-ый,-ое better translate as tender. So нежное сердце is tender hard, and of course tender hard is easily broken :-)

jandros said:

Umm yes, I know very well, because I have a "tender heart" .....

morozova said:

that's a pitty

jandros said:

Not a pity, not necessarily ... I think there is both good and bad, about either being too "soft" or too "cold-hearted"

Another small question, a little confusion about the verb "to have" ... иметь, обладать, содержать? Is there an easy way to know which word to use, for example, to either possess or own, or to obtain?

For example, to say something like, "I have a bad feeling (hesitation, doubt) about flying a plane?" As opposed to "I have 2 children" or "You will have a good time"?

Again, thank you so much

s_jazz said:

Talking

jandros, hello
    I'll try to answer your question.
    In Russian we rarely use the word "иметь" (to have), for example:
    I have 2 children
    We don't say "Я имею двух детей"
    We say "У меня (есть) двое детей"
    the verb "есть" often replace the verb "иметь", and can be put down.
    The meaning is the same, and I think that "есть" is like english verb "to be" in constructions "There is" and "It is".

Very funny, we have another meaning of the word "есть" - to eat ))

And about "You'll have a good time"
    We don't use the verb "иметь" ( to have) with "время" (time), if you say about parties and other good events.
    We say "Вы хорошо проведете время
    "the verb "проводить" - to spend, and "проведете" - future form.
    Match that in english you use "good" - adjective, and we use "хорошо" - adverb. Translating every word, "Вы проведете время хорошо" will be "You'll spend time well"
    Last edited by s_jazz; 10-15-2008 at 03:13 PM.

s_jazz said:

And "I have a bad feeling about flying a plane" will be
    "У меня (есть) нехорошие ощущения об этом полете (в самолете)".

About "обладать" (to possess).
    We use this verb rarely too, usually when we describe a person to say smthing about his character or skills, for example:
    "He has a good sense of humour"
    "Он обладает хорошим чувством юмора". But better to say
    "У него (есть) хорошее чувство юмора" )))

"Содержать"
    Contain. But we use it rarely too )))
    I'm not sure, will it be right to say "The glass contains water", caz is common to say "This is some water in a glass", and in Russian we use the same - "В стакане есть вода".

Nowadays, we often use "cодержать" with another meaning, for example:
    "Он содержит свою (his) жену (wife)" It means that his wife doesn't earn money and she lives on his money.

And you can see in vocabulary, that we have idioms
    "содержать в чистоте" - "to keep clean"
    "содержать в порядке" - "to keep in order"
    "содержать в тюрьме" - "to keep in prison"
    Last edited by s_jazz; 10-15-2008 at 03:56 PM.

s_jazz said:

Владеть (to own)
    We don't usually use this word in verb form, but we use noun "владелец" (= "хозяин") So we say "Он владелец машины" or "Он хозяин машины"- "He is a car owner". And we can say "У него есть машина" - "He has (owns) a car" too )))

Like verb, we use "владеть" in another meaning, when we say that somebody has fluent skills in something, for example
    Он владеет искусством стрельбы -
    He shoots fluently

sorry for long posts ))

17. Despoinis said:

Hello, can somebody translate me this,please?

privet,ja bil tam na moj mir,al djelao pizdec,davaj potavi menja za druzijana iso adin raz,pazalsa,ti kuda na rabotu

s_jazz said:

Despoinis, I can' understand all, especially the middle of the sentence,
    privet, ja bil tam - Hello, I was there

potavi -??
    druzijana - ??

iso adin raz,pazalsa - one more time, please
    ti kuda - where are you going?
    na rabotu - to work, to office

And please, you mustn't use the word "pi*dec", it's worse than sh*t or f*ck )

19. Despoinis said:

Quote Originally Posted by s_jazz View Post
    Despoinis, I can' understand all, especially the middle of the sentence,
    privet, ja bil tam - Hello, I was there

potavi -??
    druzijana - ??

iso adin raz,pazalsa - one more time, please
    ti kuda - where are you going?
    na rabotu - to work, to office

And please, you mustn't use the word "pi*dec", it's worse than sh*t or f*ck )
    oooops,I'm sorry,didn't know that.
    Thanks

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by s_jazz View Post
    ...sorry for long posts ))
    Not at all, your help is like gold! It's really helpful for me, to find out that some things are said only a little bit differently, but still logically for the English-speaking mind. Even the idioms with "содержать", to contain, to keep; it's makes perfect sense

Thanks very much for everything!