Learning Russian language

Thread: Learning Russian language

Tags: None

s_jazz said:

Jandros, you're welcome

katie386 said:

i was learning Polish language and it also from slavic group n it is quite similar to russian ( i dont mean alphabet of course but when polish ppl n russian talk it sounds similar - similar words n some of them u can also guess) anyway both languages are really beautiful and really hard to learn. I tried to learn Polish but grammar was too hard for me to handle it

vuoklis said:

i don't want to offend anyone but i don't think russian nor polish is a nice language...

PROPEL said:

i will have to disagree with you.
    i think that the russian language is a beautiful one.

--along with the Nezhnoe serdtse thing, there is a song called "serdtse nezhnoe", so the word order is different. does that matter?

s_jazz said:

Propel, I think, it doesn't matter - the meaning is the same. Maybe "serdtze nezhnoe" sounds more poetic...)

katie386 said:

Quote Originally Posted by vuoklis View Post
    i don't want to offend anyone but i don't think russian nor polish is a nice language...
    why u think like this ? i wonder

vuoklis said:

well, people say you never appreciate what you have. i know russian since i was a child, so i'm used to it. i don't like the way this language is written, and i can express myself more freely in lithuanian, so russian... it's just useful to know it.
    polish language: i just hate the way it sounds - so many "sh" sounds. doesn't sound cozy to me.
    But, like i said, i don't mean to offend people - it's all just a matter of taste

jandros said:

Vuoklis, I appreciate your explanation about Lithuanian, Russian and Polish. I like the poet Tyutchev, but maybe I should try to find some Lithuanian poetry?

One of my best friends in the US is Polish, but I'm ashamed to say that I've only learned a few words of his native language. He also speaks Russian, and he's helped me with that a little bit. But I wish he would help me more with Polish, just as courtesy or something

Maybe this is a little silly, but about sounds: I think any combination with "zh" has warm strength, or something like that. Or to use your word (a pleasant word), "zh" sounds very "cozy" to me

S_jazz, I just re-read your replies to my questions, and I want to say thanks again, because you explained so much! All of the different examples that you gave are really really helpful!
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

vuoklis said:

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    maybe I should try to find some Lithuanian poetry?
    you can try http://www.efn.org/~valdas/poetry.html

strongly recommend you Marcelijus Martinaitis (his surname is in the list there)

PROPEL said:

jandros, i have to agree with you once again!
    ZH = ж is a very nice sound.

so serdtse nezhnoe and nezhnoe serdtse is the same thing?

vuoklis said:

yes, serdtse nezhnoe and nezhnoe serdtse is the same thing. it's something like the tender heart and the heart that is tender

s_jazz said:

Jandros, you're welcome anytime I'm glad to explain if i can
    about russian...i can't say, is russian interesting or not, caz it's my native language ))
    And i recalled smth about Polish after your post, Jandros )
    Although Russian and Polish are slavic, Polish often sounds strange, even funny for us, for example polish "sklep s zaupominkami" (souvenirs shop): "sklep"means in russian "crypt", and "pominki" means a meal after burial date )))
    So, it'll be a crazy idea to learn russian and polish at the same time, i think

PROPEL said:

s_jazz, russian is interesting.
    more like VERY interesting!

your lucky you are fluent at that language!!!

s_jazz said:

Propel, thanks
    It's very easy for me to be fluent in russian

jandros said:

And why is that?

Yeah, maybe you're right about learning Russian + Polish. I don't need any extra confusion
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

16. rachael77 said:

Default translation

hello there! Im new to this site....just wanna help from anyone who can translate this for me. Im not sure if its in ukrainian or russian language.

Ha! Za4em? 4tob lishniy raz oskorbit' menja, poslat v zhopu ili skazat, 4to tebe plevat na to 4to ja dumaju. Net, mne ne nuzhny takie vstre4i pered otjezdom, ja tolko prishla v sebja, ostav menja v pokoe.

17. rachael77 said:

Default translation

ya ne smogu zuonit. Zabirayut telefon suki. menya use normalno. Poprobuyu pozvorit zautra, kogda perevedit v obichnuyu palatu. Kirusha.

Hope someone can translate this for me....it will be a big help.

vuoklis said:

Ha! Za4em? 4tob lishniy raz oskorbit' menja, poslat v zhopu ili skazat, 4to tebe plevat na to 4to ja dumaju. Net, mne ne nuzhny takie vstre4i pered otjezdom, ja tolko prishla v sebja, ostav menja v pokoe.-ha! what for? to offend me once again, to tell me to "**** off" or say that you don't care what i think. no, i don't need such meetings before leaving, i've just recovered, leave me alone.

ya ne smogu zuonit. Zabirayut telefon suki. menya use normalno. Poprobuyu pozvorit zautra, kogda perevedit v obichnuyu palatu. Kirusha.
    -i can't call(on the phone). they take away the phone ["suki" is a bad word so i'll just leave it without exact translation. it's from "son of a ..." the omitted word ]. i'm fine. i'll try to call tomorrow, when i'll be in a regular room (hospital's room). Kirusha.

19. Pastie said:

Hello,

Is anyone able translate the following text to English please, or let me know what language it is.

Мипос то паме я ена сигара, алла еко меса сто спити ме мегало коликоно. Тхе ареси яти паме сто сигара лиго куклио

Thank you.

20. boubou said:

Привет всем.
    Кто могли бы перевести эту фразу на английском?
    Спасибо заранее.

Я дышу тобой

Я перепутываюсь с творительным падежом
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    A. Einstein