^i want to learn Russian from a universtiy, im jealous. hahah

heres more random things..

Ouch! - Ой! (Oy)
    That hurts - Больно (Bol'na)
    You're Super! - Молодец! (Maladyets)
    Darn it! - Чёрт возьми! (Chyort vaz'mi)
    Well, - Ну (Nu)
    That's awful - Ужасно! (Uzhasna
    My Goodness! (Oh my god) - Боже мой (Bozhe moy)
    Quiet! - Тише (Tishe)
    Are you crazy? - Вы с ума сошли? (Vy s suma sashli) (Vy sounds like Vi)

Verb - To be Быть (byt')

I will be - Я буду (Ya budu)
    You will be - Ты будешь (Ty budesh')
    She will be - Она будет (Ona budet)
    He will be - Он будет (On budet)
    They will be - Они будут (Oni budut)
    We will be - Мы будем (My budem)

With быть It could also mean, I will - You will - He/She/It Will. Not just I will be - You will be - He/She/It will be..
    theres some random stuff. haah

Dangerous & Moving said:

^well, studying russian was always my big wish, that's why I chose it on university along with italian
    ''Glupost je sama u sebe zaljubljena i njeno je samoljublje bezgranično.''

''Siamo niente senza fantasie''

''Наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте''

marmaris said:

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous & Moving View Post
    ^well, studying russian was always my big wish, that's why I chose it on university along with italian
    it was a big wish for me too..and I am studying russian in Ankara Univercity ..i am so glad to choose it..my first year finished and I know basic rules..just I have problem in vocabulary and it is hard to talk too..when I start to talk,I stop and I ask myself "now which padej again" ..and i hope it is becoming better with time=)

PROPEL said:

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous & Moving View Post
    it is one of my wishes too!

Dangerous & Moving said:

Quote Originally Posted by marmaris View Post
    it was a big wish for me too..and I am studying russian in Ankara Univercity ..i am so glad to choose it..my first year finished and I know basic rules..just I have problem in vocabulary and it is hard to talk too..when I start to talk,I stop and I ask myself "now which padej again" ..and i hope it is becoming better with time=)

oh well, we also have ''padeže'' (causes) in Croatian, so I guess it will be a bit easier for me... i hope so
    ''Glupost je sama u sebe zaljubljena i njeno je samoljublje bezgranično.''

''Siamo niente senza fantasie''

''Наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте''

jandros said:

.....and I am studying russian in Ankara Univercity ........just I have problem in vocabulary and it is hard to talk too..when I start to talk,I stop and I ask myself "now which padej again" .....
    Oh yes, and I also have such a big problem with endings! Gender, tense, case, changing the endings correctly ... and like, never write "ы" after "ж" and certain other letters, instead use "и"? There are so many unfamiliar details to learn and remember. And also it seems to be a lot more important to use formal and not informal forms at first? .. so it's hugely important to become equally familiar/comfortable with both, and always let the other person choose informal speech? ... that's my strong impression ......

If I didn't have such a strong desire to learn Russian, I would have given up on it several times. But of course I've done exactly that for 20 years. But this time I'm very determined. So: Every day I pray for patience and a divine revelation of knowledge
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

PROPEL said:

yeah it is hard.
    you just have to memorize, practice, memorize, practice.....

hahahah

jandros - do you have any books for learning russian? if you do, what kind do you have?

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by PROPEL View Post
    ...jandros - do you have any books for learning russian? if you do, what kind do you have?
    I use a couple of books, audio CDs, and random Internet sites ... but I lost the bookmark to my favorite site, one that has full conjugations of 600 verbs!! ...

Also I'm still waiting impatiently to have a first meeting with the local Russian meetup group of 120+ people. It's a social gathering with a [lot] of native speakers. They meet monthly, but only 8-10 people at a time. I can't ever get a slot! Grrrrr..... so I still feel very deprived ... especially with pronunciation practice, and hearing the correct syllable stresses and so forth. God, it's almost like there's a conspiracy against learning Slavic languages! .... J/K, I hope!

Books (all designed for self-teaching):

1. Russian As We Speak It, by S. Khavronina
    ...probably my best source, but it requires some existing knowledge

2. Teach Yourself Russian , by Daphne West
    ...starts with the very basics

This CD was great a year ago, but it only covers "tourist" basics ... but it's a pleasant way to get a few more words/phrases to stick to the brain:

Rapid Russian Volume 1, by "Earworms". There should also be a volume 2 by now, but I've been waiting forever for it to be published. It probably won't even help now.

Internet: Just one recommendation for a little more (very limited) study:

http://www.russianlessons.net/

My Russian friend also mentioned "Promt" one time (Internet and software), but I'm not sure if she recommends it or not ... I'll ask again ...

I really want to take formal classes, but my work schedule is always so unpredictable, I've been afraid to commit. But I really need to do exactly that. I think it's just too much to try to teach myself, because I do not have a gift for languages. I am soooo jealous of other people who can learn so easily ... j/k, I just wish I was one of those people

Ok, so if anyone else wants to advise about my learning tools, please do so! I will love you forever!! :=))
    Last edited by jandros; 08-31-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling - Daphne West
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

PROPEL said:

ohhh. those sound like very good books!

i recently got a book "The Big Silver Book Of Russian Verbs" or something like that, it has 555 conjugated verbs.

then i have a book called почта

Another book called - Russian at a Glance

--I also really want to take formal classes, but there are none that i know of here in cincinnati. hah

that would be soo much fun to get into that group of all native russian speakers, it sounds like a blast. hopefully you'll get in!

Música101 said:

What's the verb "To talk" in Russian?

PROPEL said:

Means - To Speak
    говорить
    govarit'

Música101 said:

So I speak would be

Ya govarit'

jandros said:

I'll try to give a hand with this one ... unless Propel can type faster ... ...

Govorit' is the infinitive. First-person singular is govoryu (Говорю), but stress is on the last syllable, so the o's become a's. It's pronounced gavaryu: Ya gavaryu.

PROPEL said:

hahha jandros.. you got it right!

musica, the verb - To Speak.

I Speak - Говоpю
    You Speak - Говоришь
    He/She/It Speaks - Говорит
    We Speak - Говорим
    You (Pular) Speaks - Говорите
    They Speak - Говорят

vuoklis said:

hey, i'm a native speaker, so maybe i can help you people with russian
    can somebody tell me "po and pri" before idu,edu etc?=)
    marmaris, i'm not sure i understand what you asked for... did you need this:
    пойду
    приду
    поеду
    приеду?

marmaris said:

Quote Originally Posted by vuoklis View Post
    hey, i'm a native speaker, so maybe i can help you people with russian

marmaris, i'm not sure i understand what you asked for... did you need this:
    пойду
    приду
    поеду
    приеду?
    yes also priyedu,payedu etc..l cant understand the diffrence of the meaning :S

PROPEL said:

пойду
    приду
    поеду
    приеду

- does that mean like...I'll go, I'll come, I'll arrive????

or am i just crazzyy????

vuoklis said:

yeah, PROPEL, you're right
    пойду means i'll GO (on feet)
    прийду means i'll COME (on feet)
    поеду means i'll GO(by transport)
    приеду means i'll COME (by transport)

prefix при- has the main meaning "arrival", so прийду/ прилечу /приплыву means i'll come on feet/by plane/on boat

when you use при-, you usually have to add an article showing direction: в, на or к, eg: я прийду к тебе (=i'll come to you); я приеду в школу (=i'll arrive to school); я прийду на концерт (=i'll come to the concert)

prefix по- shows wether the beginning of the action or that the action is incomplete. пойду/поплыву/полечу means i'll go on feet/on boat/by plane

i found some more info+ excercises here: http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/vom.html

PROPEL said:

YES! I'm not crazyy!!! hahah thanks vuoklis!

marmaris said:

vuoklis you saved my life! l was really terrible on my final exams in univercity..because of this "при-по" teacher just gave sentences and we should have to put the right verbs with them to the right blanks according to sentence..it was the worst part for me in exam..i hope l can do it well before start to learn new stuffs like "при-по" =)) thanx for ur help!!!!!!!!!!=)))))