Learning Russian language

Thread: Learning Russian language

Tags: None
  1. helenefan said:

How do you say "He is much taller than I thought" ?

2. Eudaimon said:

Он гораздо (намного) выше, чем я думал(а)

3. helenefan said:

In sentences like "I see Anna more frequently than Masha", if "Masha" takes Gen case without using the word "чем", the meaning should be "I see Anna more frequently than (I see Masha)" or "I see Anna more frequently than Masha (sees Anna)" ?

4. MANISH said:

Default Please pleasei need yr help in knowing the English translation of this sentences

tut veselo

vsegda pojalusta

znayu cto ti fanatka drugogo
    onun adini burda cekme ato

men de cekmirem

oni menya killllllllllll

Saqol kisaaaaaaa

vse tut xochet ubit

nenavidat

Please give me the English meaning of above phrases . i hope i have not posted at wrong place but i know people here with high skill level in both languages will be able to help me . eagerly waiting for the reply by someone

haydee said:

tut veselo = it's fun here

vsegda pojalusta = you're always welcome

znayu cto ti fanatka drugogo = i know u r fan of another thing/another one
    onun adini burda cekme ato = ??

men de cekmirem = ??

oni menya killllllllllll = they kill me

Saqol kisaaaaaaa = ??

vse tut xochet ubit = he wants to kill everything here

nenavidat = they hate

?? - these phrases r probably in different language
    Pertėj kohės e hapsirės,
    tej tė keqes e te mirės

6. MANISH said:

hey thanks a lot haydee
    I think the rest are in turkish or azeri . thanks a lot once again

7. MANISH said:

@haydee one more thing does putting a "no " changes the meaning . i mean if " znayu cto ti fanatka drugogo" becomes "no i znayu cto ti fanatka drugogo" will change the meaning ???

"vse tut xochet ubit ego" would mean he wants to kill every ego here ???

"i nenavidat ego" will mean i hate ego ????

actually i thought its like english so i asked only the phrases that i didnt understand . hope u will bear with me thanks

Avoss said:

I will try to help, even though my russian is not perfect (so feel free to disagree)

Quote Originally Posted by MANISH View Post
    does putting a "no " changes the meaning . i mean if " znayu cto ti fanatka drugogo" becomes "no i znayu cto ti fanatka drugogo" will change the meaning ???
    To me, it just adds "but" to the sentence. (So the meaning depends on the previous sentence.)

Quote Originally Posted by MANISH View Post
    "vse tut xochet ubit ego" would mean he wants to kill every ego here ???
    I think that here, ego (pronounced evo) means "him"

"i nenavidat ego" will mean i hate ego ????
    "and (they) hate him" (see above)

9. Eudaimon said:

Quote Originally Posted by helenefan View Post
    In sentences like "I see Anna more frequently than Masha", if "Masha" takes Gen case without using the word "чем", the meaning should be "I see Anna more frequently than (I see Masha)" or "I see Anna more frequently than Masha (sees Anna)" ?
    May be both.

haydee said:

Avoss is correct.

vse tut xochet ubit ego = i think, it's "everyone wants to kill him".
    Pertėj kohės e hapsirės,
    tej tė keqes e te mirės

11. helenefan said:

Поужинаешь с нами ?
    Ты ужинаешь с нами ?

Is there any difference between them ?

12. MANISH said:

Thanks Evoss : the flow of conversation is as i posted but
    @haydee is just awesome : i think she got it right , it means perfectly alright (Cant exactly get the sex from ur name so using she which i can interpret from ur name, i hope iam right , if not apologies from my side )

13. Eudaimon said:

Поужинаешь с нами ?
    Ты ужинаешь с нами ?

Is there any difference between them ?
    They are pretty much interchangeable, but the first is more like a proposal (Will you have dinner with us?) and the second is more like an inquiry of intentions (Are you going to have dinner with us?)

14. helenefan said:

When or under what kind of situation, should I use the word "прочитать" ?

e.g.

I will read the book - Я буду читать книгу or Я прочитаю книгу ?

I read the book yesterday (but I almost forget the content now) - Я прочитал книгу вчера

I've read the book (so I know exactly what you are talking about) - Я прочитал книгу

I didn't read the book yesterday (I intend to read it tomorrow) - Я не читал книгу вчера

I haven't read the book yet - Я ещё не читал книгу

I've never read the book (so I don't understand what you are refering to) - Я никогда не читал книгу
    Last edited by helenefan; 03-09-2011 at 07:26 AM.

15. helenefan said:

Я обычно встаю в семь.

Я обычно ложись в десять.

Can I use "вставаю" (Impf of the verb "встать") in the 1st sentence, and Pf verb in the 2nd one ? Are there any differences ?
    Last edited by helenefan; 03-15-2011 at 04:06 AM.

16. Eudaimon said:

When or under what kind of situation, should I use the word "прочитать" ?

e.g.

I will read the book - Я буду читать книгу or Я прочитаю книгу ?

I read the book yesterday (but I almost forget the content now) - Я прочитал книгу вчера

I've read the book (so I know exactly what you are talking about) - Я прочитал книгу

I didn't read the book yesterday (I intend to read it tomorrow) - Я не читал книгу вчера

I haven't read the book yet - Я ещё не читал книгу

I've never read the book (so I don't understand what you are refering to) - Я никогда не читал книгу
    It's but a question of aspectual usage. I mean, the choice between "читать" and "прочитать" has no difference between the choice between any other imperfective verb and its persective analogue. If you want aspectual to be explained, it's way too complicated for a native speaker to answer, but I guess it's very well explained in any textbook or grammar.

I will read the book - Я прочитаю книгу. (Сегодня вечером) я буду читать книгу - I will be reading the book (tonight). (Сегодня вечером) я прочитаю книгу - I will have read the book (by this night). Cases when "I will read the book" would equal "буду читать" are possible but not that trivial, like, "В этой книге без поллитры не разберёшься, я буду читать её под хорошую выпивку" - "You can't understand anything in this book when you're sober, I will read it with a good drink by my side" - here, "will read" is a continuous, not a one-shot action, that's why it's imperfective; or, "Я буду читать эту книгу снова и снова, пока всё не пойму" - "I will read this book again and again until I understand everything" - repetitive actions always require imperfect aspect.

I read the book yesterday (but I almost forget the content now)
    I've read the book (so I know exactly what you are talking about)
    Just like in English, imperfective "читал" is more suitable in the first sentence and perfective "прочитал" - in the second one.

I haven't read the book yet (and haven't even started) - Я ещё не читал книгу, (I have started reading it but) I haven't read the book yet - Я ещё не прочитал книгу.
    I didn't read the book yesterday (I intend to read it tomorrow) - Я не читал книгу вчера, regardless of your intentions - unless you're in a situation described a string above.
    I never read the book - Я никогда (ни разу, вообще) не читал эту книгу.

Я обычно встаю в семь.

Я обычно ложись в десять.

Can I use "вставаю" (Impf of the verb "встать") in the 1st sentence, and Pf verb in the 2nd one ? Are there any differences ?
    1) Ложусь, not ложись
    2) No, you can't. The verb вставать (and давать) conjugates in present with suffix -в- ommited: встаю, встаёшь, встаёт, встаём, встаёте, встают. This is the only way to conjugate it.
    3) No, you can't. Perfective verbs never stand in present tense, they don't even have such a grammatic form.

17. Nere said:

question for the russians here, how would you translate "третиковке" into english? i'm thinking "treti" is "three" or "third", but i'm not sure about "kovke"....

thanks!

18. Eudaimon said:

Maybe it's misspelled "Третьяковке", which means "Tretyakovskaya gallery" (or "Tretyakovskaya" metro station) in dative or prepositive case, but it's the only thing I can think of...
    Is there any context for the word?

19. Nere said:

no, it was from a song in another language (chechen) and it jumped out at me as being a loanword.... maybe i was wrong.

thanks for the answer, anyway.

20. NotKristie said:

Well, you should just change the word "Masha". Do you know the cases?

Именительный - есть(there is) - Кто? Что? (who? what?) - есть друг, Маша, он, она
    Родительный - Нет( there is no) - Кого? Чего? (who? what?) - нет друга,Маши, его, ее
    Дательный - Дать (give to) - Кому? Чему? (whom? what?) - дать другу,Маше, ему, ей
    Винительный - Винить (blame) - Кого? Что? (whom? what?) - винить друга,Машу, его, ее
    Творительный - Доволен (satisfied about) - Кем? Чем?(whom? what?) - доволен другом,Машей,им, ей
    Предложный - Думаю(think of) - О ком? О чём? (whom? what?) - думаю о друге, Маше, о нем, о ней
    Уверен(sure about) - В ком? В чём?(whom? what?) - уверен в друге,в Маше, в нем, в ней

So, "I see Anna more frequently than Masha" can be translated:
    1. Я вижу Анну чаще, чем Маша (видит Анну)
    2. Я вижу Анну чаще, чем Машу (чем я вижу Машу)