meanings for Celtic Phrases

Thread: meanings for Celtic Phrases

Tags: None
  1. onehand said:

Default meanings for Celtic Phrases

Does anyone know a good sight that would have meanings for Celtic phrases or slang?
    For instance the song "Little Beggarman"
    What is the term "rig-a-doo"
    And why does he want to color the maidens goggles blue?
    'I met a little flaxy-haired girl one day, "Good morning, little flaxy-haired girl." I did say,
    "Good morning, little beggarman, and how do you do, with your rags and your tags and your old rig-a-do?
    "I'll buy a pair of stockings and a collar and a tie, and a right fine lady I'll fetch by and by,
    I'll buy ye a pair of goggles and we'll color them blue, and an old-fashioned lady I'll make of you!"'

Gokdeniz said:

Heyy onehand,,
    The word rig a doo is used much in celtic songs.
    The word can mean a walkingstick or a dance ..
    There is a dance called rig a doo so maybe he means that he came dancing alone the corner ?
    I think its more logical that he means the dance rig a doo and not a walkingstick cause in the song he also sings that the girl came walking around the corner with her old rig a doo and since the girl is not old i think its weird if she was carriying a walkingstick as well

The fact that he wants 2 color the maidens goggles blue , well this version is a little different , in the old fashion version of this song they sing : we'll buy ya a pair of leggings and color them blue
    They used 2 wear this underneath their dresses i can assume that he wants 2 color them blue cuz its a color used by married women so maybe he wants 2 make her his wife ?

Hope this helped you understand the song more
    if i can help you with any other songs its my pleasure ..
    Bye

3. onehand said:

Default Very helpful!

Thanks Gokdeniz! That was very helpful. I'll definitely keep you in mind as I'm exploring this repertoire. - onehand in Texas

4. onehand said:

Default The Rig a Doo

By the way, the young girl did not have a rig a doo herself. That term comes up in more places in the lyrics as well and could easily mean a cane and a dance, similar to a "waltzing mathilda." Here's the complete lyric:

The Little Beggarman

I am a little beggarman and beggin' I have been, threescore or more in the little Isle O'Green,
    And I'm known from the Liffee on down to Segu, and I'm known by the name of old Jonny-dhu.
    Of all the trades a-goin', sure a-beggin' is the best; for when a man is tired, he can sit him down and rest,
    Beg for his supper when there's nothing more to do, or sit around the fire in his old rig-a-do.

I slept one night in a barn in Clarabon; went naked, man, and I slept until the dawn,
    Holes in the roof and the rain a-peekin' thru, and the cats and the rats all a-playin' peek-a-boo.
    Who should awaken, but the woman of the house, in a whit spotted apron and a calico blouse,
    She began to frighten, so I said, "Boo! Don't be afraid, ma'am, it's only Jonny-dhu."

I met a little flaxy-haired girl one day, "Good morning, little flaxy-haired girl." I did say,
    "Good morning, little beggarman, and how do you do, with your rags and your tags and your old rig-a-do?
    "I'll buy a pair of stockings and a collar and a tie, and a ight fine lady I'll fetch by and by,
    I'll buy ye a pair of goggles and we'll color them blue, and an old-fashioned lady I'll make of you!"

Well, it's over the fields with me pack on me back, over the hills with me great heavy sack,
    Holes in me shoes, me toes a-peekin' through; skin-a-wrinkle-do, it's old Jonny-dhu,
    I must be goin' to bed, for it's getting late at night; the fire's all rigged, out goes the light,
    Now you know the story of the old rig-a-do; "Good night, and God be with you," says old Jonny-dhu.

Gokdeniz said:

heyy one hand ..
    Okay i think i misunderstood then.. I do own this song and many other celtic cds which have great gealic songs on them 2.
    I cant always understand some terms aswell so i always asked my irish friend who knows lots of meanings.
    He also tought me lots of gealic so its easier 2 understand some songs for me aswell.
    if you like gealic songs i can recommend u suil a ruin..
    Its an old gealic love song.
    if u like the song i can translate the gealic parts for you 2.
    Have fun bye!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6qiuCX6Uhro

Suil a ruin - clannad

I wish I was on yonder hill
    tis there Id sit and cry my fill,
    And every tear would turn a mill,
    Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.

Chorus (in phonetic gaelic)
    Shule, shule, shule aroon,
    Shule go succir agus, shule go kewn,
    Shule go dheen durrus oggus aylig lume,
    Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.