Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feuersteve View Post
    yo Jandros, thanks ... you know a few languages, get on Skype ... ya nye ponimayou po-russkii
    You're most welcome, as always!

I don't really know a "few" languages. I can converse a little bit in Spanish, but I'm just learning Russian! And I have a really lousy memory for words. But maybe Skype would be a good learning experience, so maybe I'll whip up enough courage to give it a try

Ponimayou: Ponimayu. Not like bayou. Ti ponimayesh'?

I *LOVE* the Russian language!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    But let's drop it, we're wasting space here.
    ...Says the man treble-posting

Personally, I don't think I'm wasting space. As far as I can see, I'm debating on a debate forum.

Thanks

I can see that you like to debate . So maybe we should start a new Topic, where you and I can seriously debate the "Top 5 languages that you [or I] like the most".

On the other hand, it's not all that much fun. So as Shelley might say, I shall refute no more
    Last edited by jandros; 06-29-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: more graphics :)

Thanks

Jandros, I like to debate as much as anyone on here (after all, why else would people be on a debate forum - To post one answer and limp off into the distance? I think not).

I think having a seperate forum for us two to discuss things is a marvellous idea but why does it have to be on our top 5 languages? Can it not be on something I actually care about in everyday life like music or drums or our favourite types of alcoholic beverage (just for example's sake) or why the popular music industry is crap yet noone realises this but the open minded (that last one always gets the thumbs down from the mainstream audiences)?

And if debate isn't "all that much fun" why are you bothering to bring debate by making me debate your retorts?

Just something I needed to ask, not having a go at you, just asking something that needed to be asked.

Thanks

I *LOVE* the Russian language!!!!!
    I love Russian too. My dad speaks some Russian, but not enough to be able to teach me. :\ I'd really like to start learning it one day, but I shall have to wait, since Russian is not next on the list of languages I'm planning to learn soon. :P
    'I have a cane and I know how to use it.'

Thanks

I speak Russian too:

Nyet
    Vodka

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I speak Russian too:

Vodka
    It seems like this is universal ;-)

Thanks

Instead of editing my message, I deleted it :S Silly me...

I wanted to add that I might have Russian origin as well, but it is not proved. :P
    We also have a russian surname.

Thanks

Sochko, no problem, I read your last message before you deleted it As for music (the main purpose for this forum), it seems that every kind of music in the world can be found, somewhere in Russia. But that's just my humble opinion.

Maye you're my Russian friend's cousin!

One of my favorite Russian words is душа, dusha, soul. For me, this word seems to be a part of everything that is Russian. And of course my Russian friend says it all the time

родственная душа, rodstvennaya dusha ... twin soul ... like kindred spirit?

Russian experts, please correct my errors! I get excited about knowing maybe 50 words ....

"Word of the day" website:

http://www.transparent.com/wotd/index.htm
    http://www.transparent.com/wotd/toda...ate=06-30-2008

Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 653 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sochko View Post
    Instead of editing my message, I deleted it :S Silly me...
    I managed your post so it's visible again.
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

Thanks

1-English
    2-German
    3-Turkish
    4-Russian
    5-French
    6-Albanian
    7-Circassian
    8-Persian
    9-Hebrew
    10-Arabic
    11-Chinese
    12-Dutch
    13-Finnish
    14-Sweedish
    15-Kurdish

Enough
    Meanwhile, I know english,turkish,albanian,little russian,french,german and some from others listed above
    Edit: I don't like spanish,italian language. just dislike language. And 16th might be Greek.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sochko View Post
    It seems like this is universal ;-)
    Yes, it seems it is...

Thanks

Sochko, no problem, I read your last message before you deleted it As for music (the main purpose for this forum), it seems that every kind of music in the world can be found, somewhere in Russia. But that's just my humble opinion.

Maye you're my Russian friend's cousin!

One of my favorite Russian words is душа, dusha, soul. For me, this word seems to be a part of everything that is Russian. And of course my Russian friend says it all the time

родственная душа, rodstvennaya dusha ... twin soul ... like kindred spirit?

Russian experts, please correct my errors! I get excited about knowing maybe 50 words ....

"Word of the day" website:

http://www.transparent.com/wotd/index.htm
    http://www.transparent.com/wotd/toda...ate=06-30-2008

Aah, dusha... it's the same in Macedonian: душа=soul; сродна душа = soul mate (or kindred spirit, whichever you prefer, it cannot be translated literary, of course ;-) )
    I agree, it's a lovely word. It conveys many feelings...

Haha, your friend's cousin? Well yeah, there always is a posibility ;-D
    Btw, jandros, in your 'location', NC stands for North Carolina, right? *blush* =)

And Maria, thanks for making my post visible again =)

Thanks

¡Que Milagro, Sochko! Your deleted message came back!! But of course our friend Maria deserves a very hearty applause

Yes, "NC" is North Carolina. I love my state. It has beautiful mountains, better beaches than Florida, courteous and helpful people, and also a lot of early U.S. history can be found here. The first "Continental Congress" met in New Bern, NC (1775) ... and reportedly the birth of the first English person on U.S. soil happened here (Virginia Dare, 1585) ... oldest University in the U.S., UNC (1789) ... tallest mountain in eastern U.S. (Mt Mitchell) ... and so forth. And also, near my home is Research Triangle Park and 3 major Universities, including Duke. This is one of the 2 largest technology and medical research centers in the U.S.

And of course, some of the world's most beautiful women ..... So, we have a little bit of everything.

Some of my countrymen might argue with me on several points ... but I'm right, and I know it

Please forgive my big head
    Last edited by jandros; 07-01-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks

¡Que Milagro, Sochko! Your deleted message came back!! But of course our friend Maria deserves a very hearty applause

Yes, "NC" is North Carolina. I love my state. It has beautiful mountains, better beaches than Florida, courteous and helpful people, and also a lot of early U.S. history can be found here. The first "Continental Congress" met in New Bern, NC (1775) ... and reportedly the birth of the first English person on U.S. soil happened here (Virginia Dare, 1585) ... oldest University in the U.S., UNC (1789) ... tallest mountain in eastern U.S. (Mt Mitchell) ... and so forth. And also, near my home is Research Triangle Park and 3 major Universities, including Duke. This is one of the 2 largest technology and medical research centers in the U.S.

And of course, some of the world's most beautiful women ..... So, we have a little bit of everything.

Some of my countrymen might argue with me on several points ... but I'm right, and I know it

Please forgive my big head
    Nothing to be forgiven. I just loved the brief presentation of your country. =D
    I have a friend who went to N. Carolina few weeks ago. She'll be staying there until september. We still haven't heard of her since then (ok, she sent us one e-mail immediately after ariving, but that was all), so we thought that she either loves the stay so much and she's so amused, that she's forgot completely about us, OR she got kidnapped or worse. ;P I wonder what will she say about N.C. when she returns... ;D

Thanks

Hello! A friendly reminder: please stay on-topic and don't forget to talk about languages!

If you would like to continue chit-chatting, you can do it one of your General chit-chat off-topic discussion threads!

Thanks

Yes, you are absolutely right, I'm sorry. It won't happen again.

Thanks

Yes Layla, of course you're right. This is just such a great place to communicate ... but so sorry, I'll try to be a good boy

Thanks

One of our friends here (don't remember who) listed Greek as #16 on his/her looooong list ......

So I want to give that lovely and classic language a little boost. I don't even remember my original top 5 now, so here's my new list of most-favorites:

Russian and other Slavic or east European languages
    Turkish
    Greek
    French
    English

I include my native English, mostly because I think that I'm an uncommon master of the language. I know that a good poet can make the English language sing
    Last edited by jandros; 07-03-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Had turkish listed twice, meant to include French

Thanks

But too many people claim to be poets when only they understand their words.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast