Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Hey, Is this thread is open for every body? Can every body put his/her question in EN here? .. If yes, so that's what I used to need long time ago. I'd sleep and wake up and eat here ...But maybe I'll need to talk to our Arab members coz my English is not good.
    >>I'd ask u for a help in Arabic chit chat, but I think now I had the right place

Thanks

I think this thread is for tricky questions.. for those who believe they have a clue about English (but might be clueless about it like me hehe)

But on a serious note.. I see this like a dictionary that doesn't translate to my native language but gives explanations in English
    Thank God for it! hehe

Thanks

guys and gals: it's not as difficult nor confusing as it may sound.

Remember he/she/it = is/was.

Even though an organization/institution, police force, etc., is made up of many individuals, we never say for example:

the hospital are
    the police force are
    the office are
    the cinema are
    the school are
    the company are
    the firm are
    the institution are

We say 'is' for all the above. Remember you can replace all of the above for 'it'.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

4. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (10-26-2009)

Thanks

Thanks istanbulgal! Now I am off to cry and search for my old school books to ring some bells in this empty head of mine LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    .... Police Department (is) ...
    Believe it or not, there is a very simple explanation for that phrase

In this case, "Department" is the noun, and "Police" is only an adjective; what kind of department. So the critical word is Department, which is a singular noun.

The Police Department is is investigating the crime.
    The Police are investigating the crime.
    That police officer/policeman is investigating the crime.
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (10-26-2009)

Thanks

Spring, please don't cry! It'll all be better tomorrow
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loca-por-Ba!le View Post

Hey, Is this thread is open for every body? Can every body put his/her question in EN here? .. If yes, so that's what I used to need long time ago. I'd sleep and wake up and eat here ...But maybe I'll need to talk to our Arab members coz my English is not good.
    >>I'd ask u for a help in Arabic chit chat, but I think now I had the right place
    Yes! Everybody!!

I think it's great to have a single topic to clarify English, so that various answers are not scattered all over this site. And a single answer can help anyone who speaks any other language.

Thanks

Well.. I'm kinda dizzy hehehe...
    I do understand the grammer... Now my questions is this:

Present tense: I am used to running every day. In this case, I'm actually doing it every day. right?

Past tense (not true now): I used to run every day.
    In this case, I did it everyday in the pase, but I'm not doing it it the present. is that right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaresLejanos View Post
    Well.. I'm kinda dizzy hehehe...
    I do understand the grammer... Now my questions is this:

Present tense: I am used to running every day. In this case, I'm actually doing it every day. right?

Past tense (not true now): I used to run every day.
    In this case, I did it everyday in the pase, but I'm not doing it it the present. is that right?
    Yes, exactly, correct in both instances. You can go to the head of the class!

But to clarify a very small point (maybe not even worth mentioning) about present tense: If you're used to running every day, it just means that it's a normal routine. If you miss a day sometimes, it's still true that you are "used to" it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (10-29-2009)

Thanks

Thank you so much !!!!! Can I take you as my teacher ? Of course, I'm nto going to pay, your money values 4 times mine !

Thanks

Thank you so much !!!!! Can I take you as my teacher ? Of course, I'm nto going to pay, your money values 4 times mine !
    What money? We're all losing our jobs up here! J/K my friend, no worries

Hmmm..... can you sing or play guitar???

Thanks

I can "sing", but it doesn't mean that I do it well heheheh

Thanks

El Raisa, jandros and M-Gal, a huge thanks for you three, and thanks for mares for her questiones cuz i was going to ask the same questions (this sentence right??)

so here's some of what i understood,

1- since long time, i used to drink 5L water every day (but now i do not, right??)

2- i used to feed my cat 3 times per day!

3- i used to cry when i meet (or met??) people for first time(just example)

4- when i am hungry (or when i was hungry?) i used to eat fruits

5- jandros, el raisa and m-gal, are nice peaple, i used to thank them every day

thanks in advance and i am so glad that i reactive this thread again!!!
    And thanks for spring!!
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Orwiiieee little brother, it's good to see you here

1- "I used to drink" is correct. But your beginning, "since long time" ... I think you mean "A long time ago". The word "ago" is related to "gone": A long time gone, a long time ago. As for the word "since", you have to use it in relation to something specific: Since I was a little boy ... more about that later

4- When I was hungry, past tense, is correct.

5- "I used to thank them every day" ... that means (suggests) the past, you don't do it anymore.

Also regarding the present-tense usage of "used to" (accustomed to):

If you want to state a simple fact, it's better to say it in the simplest way: "I eat fruit every day." Or "I run every day."

If you're responding to something ... like maybe the market doesn't have fruit today ... then you might think or say, "But I'm used to eating fruit every day! I need to find some fruit."

Or if someone says to you, "Why are you running today? It's too hot!!" Then you might say something like, "No problem. I'm used to running every day."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (10-30-2009)

Thanks

And Spring might say this ...

I like to run every day. It hurts! But I'm used to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post
    thanks in advance and i am so glad that i reactive this thread again!!!And thanks for spring!!
    reactivated
    thanks to spring

You're very welcome Orwie & don't hesitate to ask any questions for it is our pleasure to help someone, who is so motivated to learn.

Jandros: we need to discuss fees & should post it asap.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post

Jandros: we need to discuss fees & should post it asap.

I do not agree with fees or mark-up ... How do you call when a lawyer works for free ? spanish: pro-bono?

Thanks

I do not agree with fees or mark-up ... How do you call when a lawyer works for free ? spanish: pro-bono?
    In English we also say pro bono when working without compensation. Derived from Latin, the full phrase is pro bono publico, which means for the good of the public.

Ok., I accept your objection!
    Albert Einstein

Thanks

Maybe not fees, but I could send you some "Dulce de leche" instead

Okey my lady! I have to sleep!

kisses a lot!

Ah... I just remember that here, in Argentina and I think in Spain to, we say: ad honórem instead of pro-bono (I took pro-bono from movies now that I think )

Thanks

Jandros, Mister, Brother, thank you a little sooooo many very toooooo extremely much, i reallly mean them all!!!

Istanbulgal, Miss, sister, thank you a little sooooo many very toooooo extremely much, i reallly mean them all!!!

so, let me give examples untill i perfect it and, then we start in a new lesson, okay??

1- many years ago, people used to cut the trees, and burn the grass, and that's why the environment get (drity)(or there's a better word than dirty?)

2- i had a very bad habits, i used to shout to kids, lie to people, smile to Jandros and annoy istanbulgal!!

3- yesterdays, people used to use (??) the oil, but now they're trying to find alternative energy

4- Yaaaah, you remind me with school time, i used to study very hard to dont got (Or get??) a bad result in exams

5- I used to writting more than listening

6- you're leaving??? aaaaaa, i used to tell you good morning everyday!!

7- i used to smoking while i am eating!

8- Jandros & Istanbulgal are great people, They used to helping people everytime

if those are okay, then we can jump to the next lesson, and thanks in advance!
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast