Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post
    And thanks for spring!!
    Let's not exclude this option: Thanks for Spring. Cause I love the season

Thanks again jandros and istanbulgal!

As for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    Spring, please don't cry! It'll all be better tomorrow
    Nice thought... but it's not better cause I'm back in the office... but I'm used to it I guess

But.. to get back on topic...

I ran into this line while translating something a while ago:
    "the lies that I never have led"
    Is it just me or it's purely poetical? Or a mistake? Cause I can't imagine "leading lies"? To lead a lie?

And one more...
    Is there an English expression that goes something like "as difficult as _____" or "difficult like ____"
    It's supposed to describe a person that is difficult, complicated...
    The equivalent expression in Serbian literally goes "heavy like black soil"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    Jandros: we need to discuss fees & should post it asap.
    Istanbulgal, it looks like I was too late to respond on this opportunity, and now there's all this talk about pro bono, ad honorem ...

This reminds of something that I used to see at work all the time:

If you're willing to pay me nothing, then I'm willing to tell you anything.
    But if you want real help or advice, it'll cost you $10
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Thanks

Orwa, you're welcome, don't mention it, de nada! Just leave the $10 on the table, and thank you

1- many years ago, people used to cut the trees, and burn the grass, and that's why the environment get (drity)(or there's a better word than dirty?)

... "that's why the environment gets" (with 3rd-person noun, usually add "s" to the verb: I get, you get, it gets)
    ... cutting trees makes it dusty (and other things); burning makes it smoky

3- [B]yesterdays,, people used to use (??) the oil, but now they're trying to find alternative energy

Not "yesterdays"; maybe "In the old days" or Years ago"
    Correct, good example for 2 uses of "use"

4- ... i used to study very hard to dont got (Or get??) a bad result in exams

To not get. In this case, "I used to" establishes the past tense.

5- I used to writting more than listening

This is present tense? Use the present-tense verb "am": I am used to writing more than listening.

7- i used to smoking while i am eating!

Again present tense, I am used to smoking ...

8- Jandros & Istanbulgal are great people, They used to helping people everytime

They are used to helping ...
    ______

More explanation: Past and present tense uses of "used to" are a bit different, so there are 2 separate rules. The clue is in the primary part of the verb:

I used to run. Past tense, simple verb "run".

I am used to running. Present tense, progressive verb "running". Test it like this: I am ..... running. I am used to running. If you use that test, you'll get it right every time.
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (10-30-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    I ran into this line while translating something a while ago:
    "the lies that I never have led"
    Is it just me or it's purely poetical? Or a mistake? Cause I can't imagine "leading lies"? To lead a lie?
    Hmmm ... I could agree with "poetical", but still, what does it mean exactly?? ..... a person can lead a lie by leading people in a lie ... misleading people, intentionally or not ... that's all I can think of! Maybe Istanbulgal or someone else can offer more help

Is there an English expression that goes something like "as difficult as _____" or "difficult like ____"
    It's supposed to describe a person that is difficult, complicated...
    The equivalent expression in Serbian literally goes "heavy like black soil"
    There's a very common comparative English phrase "as stubborn as a mule" (difficult, immovable) ... or variations of "as thick-headed as clay", but that's more like stupidly stubborn ...
    Maybe there's something in British English that I'm not familiar with ...
    Istanbulgal, again, any insights???

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@Jandros: this can really become a full-time job & I already have 3, 2 of which are pro bono/ad honorem, not sure that I can handle a 3rd ad honorem assignment, how about you?.

Actually I had started to respond to Orwie & then I got interrupted, but I will post just the same because I saw that we differed in explanation, though both were correct, depending on the subject's intention, with respect to the tense.

@Orwie: If you thought I was going to do your homework, you were sadly mistaken. I will point out your errors & then you can rewrite the sentences on your own, that's how you will understand & learn faster!

1- many years ago, people used to cut the trees, and burn the grass, and that's why the environment get (drity)(or there's a better word than dirty?)
    i) you can use polluted instead of dirty, ii) your sentence has an error in tense, your clue as to what tense to use is found at the very beginning of your sentence.

2- i had a very bad habits, i used to shout to kids, lie to people, smile to Jandros and annoy istanbulgal!!
    remove the indefinite article 'a'.

3- yesterdays, people used to use (??) the oil, but now they're trying to find alternative energy
    i) you are talking about the past & the present in general, therefore, replace 'yesterday & now' with more appropriate words, ii) remove the definite article 'the', iii) yesterday, not yesterdays.

4- Yaaaah, you remind me with school time, i used to study very hard to dont got (Or get??) a bad result in exams
    i)yaaah is not English ii) 'you remind me of', not with, iii) I used to study very hard in order to get good grades.

5- I used to writting more than listening
    both verbs need to be in 'infinitive', not in gerund. (Infinite means unconjugated, ie: to study, gerund means verbs ending in 'ing'.)

6- you're leaving??? aaaaaa, i used to tell you good morning everyday!!
    sure you did!

7- i used to smoking while i am eating!
    I used to smoke while eating. See explanation under #5 for 1st verb.

8- Jandros & Istanbulgal are great people, They used to helping people everytime.
    Identify your error. Clue, look explanation under #5.

More examples of 'used to'.

1. I used to speak without thinking (I know better now, but I still do it sometimes!).

2. Orwa used to make me laugh (actually, he still does!).

3. He used to drink & smoke, but not anymore.

Definite Articles: The - to be used when referring to a specific object, ie: the car parked in front of my house is not mine.

Indefinite Articles: A, An - to be used when NOT referring to a specific object, ie: there is a car outside. 'An' is used when the immediate word that follows it, starts with a vowel, ie: I would like an apple.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

8. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

1. Hmmm ... I could agree with "poetical", but still, what does it mean exactly?? ..... a person can lead a lie by leading people in a lie ... misleading people, intentionally or not ... that's all I can think of! Maybe Istanbulgal or someone else can offer more help

2. There's a very common comparative English phrase "as stubborn as a mule" (difficult, immovable) ... or variations of "as thick-headed as clay", but that's more like stupidly stubborn ...
    Maybe there's something in British English that I'm not familiar with ...
    Istanbulgal, again, any insights???
    1. It could be poetical, but I thought about people leading a life based on lies, or perhaps the writer meant that he/she has never lived/experienced those lies. It's hard to know the intent without further details.

2. "thick headed as clay" LOL, I haven't heard that one lately, but yes, the mule example is the most popular! The one that is often said to my son is "you're every bit as stubborn as your mother", but truth be told, he was born contradictory!
    Albert Einstein

10. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@Jandros: this can really become a full-time job & I already have 3, 2 of which are pro bono/ad honorem, not sure that I can handle a 3rd ad honorem assignment, how about you?.
    Same here Istanbulgal, but on a different level .... Half of my family thinks that I can (a) fix anything that breaks, including cars, dishwashers and computers, and (b) get them a $3000 tax refund every year. And they wonder why I've stopped answering their phone calls.

Seriously ... everyone ... I love this topic, and actually I love the English language. The better it is learned, the more artistic and poetic it can be

Thanks

1. It could be poetical, but I thought about people leading a life based on lies, .....
    I like that possibility too! But Spring, as Instanbulgal said, maybe a little more of the context can help with a specific definition?

2. ...... "you're every bit as stubborn as your mother", but truth be told, he was born contradictory!
    That sounds too much like me!!

Thanks

1.... they wonder why I've stopped answering their phone calls.

2. I love the English language. The better it is learned, the more artistic and poetic it can be
    1. LOL. Speaking of income-tax, have you done yours yet? I believe in the US is due in mid April, but here, we have until the end of the month.

2. Ditto and I so hate slang, in any language, so Orwie, watch out!
    Albert Einstein

Thanks

Gosh... from which corner should I jump back into this topic?!

So.. I'm just posting without quoting ... lol

I could bet the line was a mistake in lyrics but it's the same on all possible sites that have them:
    The Bravery-The Ocean:

I climbed up a mountain, and looked off the edge
    And all of the lies that I never have led
    Is one where I stayed with you, across the sea
    I wonder do you still think of me
    I carry your image always in my head
    Folded and yellowed and torn at the edge
    And I've look upon it for so many years
    Slowly I'm loosing your face...

Regarding the other thing.. I guess "as thick-headed as clay" fits the need better cause what I had in mind is not a simple stubborn mule but something.. 'heavier' lol

Thanks

Gosh... from which corner should I jump back into this topic?!

So.. I'm just posting without quoting ... lol

I could bet the line was a mistake in lyrics but it's the same on all possible sites that have them:
    The Bravery-The Ocean:

I climbed up a mountain, and looked off the edge
    And all of the lies that I never have led
    Is one where I stayed with you, across the sea
    I wonder do you still think of me
    I carry your image always in my head
    Folded and yellowed and torn at the edge
    And I've look upon it for so many years
    Slowly I'm loosing your face...

Regarding the other thing.. I guess "as thick-headed as clay" fits the need better cause what I had in mind is not a simple stubborn mule but something.. 'heavier' lol
    Spring, I'll bet it's a misprint! And the same mistake was just copied from one lyrics site to another ... I've seen that a few times. I think it should be "And all the lives that I never have led". That would make sense in English, to say that one "leads" his or her life .... by the choices that one makes ... in this case, the life (the choice) that the writer did not make, which was to lead his/her life with the one that he/she loves.

That's the only possibility that makes any sense to me, and in that verse I think it makes perfect sense

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (11-02-2009)

Thanks

Good!
    Perfect actually cause that's exactly the way I translated it and I will edit the lyrics on ATL now so we will be the first and only site with the correct lyrics

[yep.. there's a reason why my location says Neverland]

Thanks

Good!
    Perfect actually cause that's exactly the way I translated it and I will edit the lyrics on ATL now so we will be the first and only site with the correct lyrics

[yep.. there's a reason why my location says Neverland]
    Maybe you should change it to ALWAYSland, as in "Always right!"

J/K, Neverland has a very nice ring

Istanbulgal, I forgot to mention: Tax Day in the US is April 15: Tomorrow!!!

Thanks

Gosh, you know me so little but you already know I'm always right! I need to work on covering that up better! (though.. I have a weird feeling about that messy covering up sentence... someone correct me please if it's totally unacceptable )

Anyways... I'm happy I learned a new thing... but don't charge me for that cause I had to google to find out what is J/K (since there's no John Kennedy ringing on my Neverland door)

Thanks

@Mister Jandros, thank you very much, hmmmm, you need 10$ ???, as you're talking with someone trying to be business man, so i'll reply as follow:
    1- That's soooooooooo high price, so decrease it or:
    2- i'll change the teacher and ask Istanblugal to answer me with higher than your teaching quality
    3- after the dollar problems, i do not give money by USD, just ren min bi (RMB), so???
    what do you choose???, lollolo(JKJKJK), you deserve this mister

" Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

@Teacher Jandros (Or how to call the teachers in USA??, we used to call them ms. or mr.!

Gets, yeah, i always forget to put it, Istanbulgal everytime tell me it shoud has "S", but i'll try my best to remember it!

"Yesterdays", actually i have read it in the dictionary long time ago, it was "yesterday" with "s", mean the past days, anyway, thank you for the explnation!

I am used to running. Present tense, progressive verb "running". Test it like this: I am ..... running. I am used to running. If you use that test, you'll get it right every time.

That's amazing idea, i understand it well, and i'll show my LAST exampels, i hope all will be okay!
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Important news first: I finished filing my taxes!!

Hellloooo Mr. Orwa!
    A polite professor can also call his students "Mister" (or "Ms"). Even if a student is stupid, the professor can call him "Mr. Stupid". It's just a matter of being polite

About money:

1. $10 isn't very much. I charge my computer clients $65. You should feel fortunate!!

2. But you can pay me in RMB as long as the exchange rate is good. The US and China try to help each other with currency values, so I think it's ok. But I don't know what Istanbulgal thinks about that. She might have a strong difference of opinion!!

Thanks

..... I need to work on covering that up better! .....(though.. I have a weird feeling about that messy covering up sentence... someone correct me please if it's totally unacceptable )

... I had to google to find out what is J/K ...
    The sentence in green above is perfect! So you see, you're always right!

I hope you found out that "J/K" is "just kidding" ... I say that because there is still the possibility that you might've found Jacqueline Kennedy

Thanks

1. Important news first: I finished filing my taxes!!
    2. About money: $10 isn't very much. I charge my computer clients $65. You should feel fortunate!!
    3. But you can pay me in RMB as long as the exchange rate is good. The US and China try to help each other with currency values, so I think it's ok. But I don't know what Istanbulgal thinks about that. She might have a strong difference of opinion!!
    1. Jandros: What a procrastinator you are, talk about leaving it for the very last minute! In Canada, we have until April 30th, accordingly I shall efile mine on April 30th coz they are not getting my money a second sooner.

2. I better not post my hourly rate here, but yes, I'm expensive!

3. I only accept payment from foreigners in 2 currencies: BP and EUR!

About English:

I notice there is a bit of confusion as to when to use articles & when not, here is a brief explanation which I hope will help.

Uses of Articles

1. The - not used when referring to something in general, examples:

Many people drink coffee (not 'the' coffee)

Arabic is Orwie's native language (not 'the' Arabic)

Gasoline/oil is expensive (not 'the' gasoline/oil)

Cars are expensive (not 'the' cars)

2. The - used when referring to something specific, something or someone unique, places, etc.:

The coffee I drink at the Second Cup is very strong

The oil from Canada is more expensive than that of the Middle East

The weather is getting warmer

The wonderful Shania Twain

The Middle East

The Rockies

The President of XX

Next time we can talk about the indefinite article and its countable vs. non-countable uses.
    Albert Einstein

25. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (11-02-2009)

Thanks

1. Jandros: What a procrastinator you are, talk about leaving it for the very last minute! In Canada, we have until April 30th, accordingly I shall efile mine on April 30th coz they are not getting my money a second sooner.

2. I better not post my hourly rate here, but yes, I'm expensive!

3. I only accept payment from foreigners in 2 currencies: BP and EUR!

The deadline is midnight for me, so I was "nice" by a few hours

You should charge premium rates!

When I was in Europe (many many moons ago), I liked to play games with exchange rates from week to week. It was almost as entertaining as playing Blackjack

Orwa, in everything I just wrote, I only used "the" one time

Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast