Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Thanks

@Jandros, haha, i am NOT STUPID, so you call me Mr. Orwa boss, what do you think??

well mister, RMB exchange rate is 6.8188, about 6.82, so 10$ mean 68 RMB, so it's sooooo much for me to pay, don't you think so??

@Istanbulgaltie, WAH, you are much expensive??, well, at that ways i used to find other people to help, but as in ATL there's only you & Jandros, so i'll give you what you want, okay, i accept this!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

about "the", actually, i know it, but as in my native language, "The" mean "El", something like, "El" "raisa", "The" "Boss", that's why i try to link "the" with my language, but okay, i'll try to do not use it in general things!

so a question, How to use, "therefor", "Hence", "However" (And what other words can link sentences together??), is there's any rules to use this words??,
    ps, i know the meaning of them, but just want to know is there's a rules in English grammer!

another question, i know how to use "have" (Thanks istanbulgal), but what's the different between this two sentences

i haven't seen him
    i didn't see him
    OR
    i haven't forgotten you
    i didn't forget you
    OR
    he hasn't asked about these questions
    he didn't ask about these questions
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post

so a question, How to use, "therefor", "Hence", "However" (And what other words can link sentences together??)....
    "Therefore" and "Hence" (also "thus"): These words are a little more formal or fancy, but they all mean the same as "so":

So I have a question; how should I use ...
    Therefore I have a question: How should I use ...
    Hence a question; ...
    Thus, a question: ...

"However" has different meaning in its most common use (also see below). In most cases it means the same as "but", but it's usually used for more emphasis.

The word "but" is normally used to join phrases within a sentence, usually after a comma (,).

The word "however" can also be used to join phrases, but only after a semi-colon; however, you can also use it to begin a new sentence. I prefer to use it to start a new sentence.

(The word "however" can also be used to join phrases, but I prefer to start a new sentence.)

(The word "however" can also be used to join phrases. However, I prefer to start a new sentence.)

The 1st and 2nd examples below are common speech. The 3rd or 4th example can be used if you want to be more firm. For writing, note the punctuation in each case (all are correct, according to various opinions):

I like to go to the cinema but I don't like crowds.
    I like to go to the cinema, but I don't like crowds.
    I like to go to the cinema. However, I hate crowds.
    I like to go to the cinema; however, I don't like crowds.

Another use of "however" has a different meaning, like "whatever" or "wherever" or "whichever" ..... i.e., "regardless of" or "no matter" how, what, where, or which:

I can get a good education, however I want to do it.
    ....., no matter how I want to do it.
    ....., regardless of how I want to do it.
    I can get a good education, wherever I want to live.
    I can get a good education, whichever university I want to attend.
    I will get a good education, whatever it takes.

Now about payment: I will accept RMB or dollars, but Istanbulgal will only accept BP or Euros. However, I have a better idea: We make a great team!! You ask the questions, and then Istanbulgal and I provide comprehensive answers and examples. If we should start a TV show, all 3 of us can make a lot of money!!
    Last edited by jandros; 04-16-2009 at 08:18 AM.
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (11-02-2009)

Thanks

Don't worry too much about punctuation, especially the use of commas. Just concentrate on proper word usage.

These are 2 of my "golden rules" for writing:

1. KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid! I'm not calling anyone stupid! That's just the meaning of that acronym

2. Don't use too many commas. In writing, commas are good for breaking up long sentences. But, if you use too many commas, for some people, it can be very annoying!
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Thanks

Well mister Jandros, here's a sentence i tried to write by myself!

Life is easy. however it has many problems, people should deal with it as a normal thing they may meet everyday, therefore, i am asking everyone to enjoy the moment and try to forget about life problems as what i am used to doing in my life..
    =-=-=-=-=-=-
    - first i'll teach you hence (I know it mean "and then") you ask me
    - life is difficult, therefore i want to go to other planet
    - Jandros is great as long as he still help(S??) me, haha!

well mister, i think i understand it well now, right??, if soo, please answer my second question about haven't & didn't!!

but thank you a millions Jandros, you know that, i think the first thing you did after you log in that you entered to this thread and answerd me, thank you a little sooo much!!
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

BTW Mister jandros, could you please write me the different between Especialy and specialy

i know i ask too much, but when you get bored of me, directly tell me so i can stop asking and wait til you refresh yourself, okay??

when i get AMAZING in english i won't use commas. however now keep me using this commas!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa;581637
    another question, i know how to use "have" (Thanks istanbulgal), but what's the different between this two sentences

i haven't seen him
    i didn't see him
    [B
    OR[/B]
    i haven't forgotten you
    i didn't forget you
    OR
    he hasn't asked about these questions
    he didn't ask about these questions
    I was going to leave this question for Istanbulgal, but she might also want to explain more anyway:

Use "I didn't see" to indicate a specific occurrence; for example, relating to a specific time or place. Examples:

Q: When you went to the store, did you see John?
    A: No, I didn't see him.

Q: Have you seen John? (general question, not specific to anything)
    A: No, I haven't seen him.

I haven't seen John lately. Has anyone seen him anywhere?

I didn't see John online yesterday. Did anyone see him? (Also in this case) Has anyone seen him?

_______

"Specially" is not a complete word. Always use "especially".

The adjective form is "special", with no "e" in front. A noun form is "specialty", again no "e".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:

Thanks

More examples of "didn't/haven't", relating to specific or more general periods of time:

My birthday was yesterday, but you didn't call me. Did you forget?
    No, I didn't forget. My telephone wasn't working.

My birthday was 2 weeks ago, but you haven't called me! Have you forgotten about me??
    Yes, I have forgotten about you! I don't want to talk to you anymore!

Did you visit Spain last year?
    No I didn't.

Have you ever been to Spain?
    Yes, I've been there twice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mister Jandros, so that mean, didn't & haven't has the same meaning for negative, just to make the language complicated they PUT this two words, right??

well, so ALWAYS i should use especially, no need for specially anymore!

Thanks

Mister Jandros, so that mean, didn't & haven't has the same meaning for negative, just to make the language complicated they PUT this two words, right??

If you want to speak simple English, you can always use "didn't". But with practice, you can do better than that

Also remember to capitalize the first word in every sentence. It improves readability. If you don't practice correctly, then errors will become a bad habit.

Commas can actually be a very good thing. A lot of people, especially non-English speakers, might have a hard time reading long sentences. Commas can help to clarify meaning and make a sentence easier to read. But try to remember that too many commas can be a little irritating for some people. So you should always consider your audience.

Thanks

Life is easy. however it has many problems, people should deal with it as a normal thing they may meet everyday, therefore, i am asking everyone to enjoy the moment and try to forget about life problems as what i am used to doing in my life..
    This is how I would write the same paragraph:

Life is easy. However, it has many problems, so people should deal with them as normal things that they may meet every day. Therefore I am asking everyone to enjoy the moment and try to forget about life's problems, as I am used to doing in my life ...

Note that in the last phrase, after my last comma, I removed "what" because it's bad grammar. Also I added that in the 2nd sentence, to join 2 phrases. Otherwise it's an awkward sentence.

Very good. I see a lot of improvement! I would also change a couple of other words, but I want to keep this lesson simple
    _______

Edit: I've edited twice to correct errors (disagreements) in singular/plural forms. But there is a bigger problem:

"Life" is singular, but then you use the plural "problems". That creates a difficult situation: Whether the following nouns should be singular or plural. This is one way to make singular vs. plural easier:

Life is easy. However, it has many problems, so people should deal with the problems as normal things ...

By re-stating "problems" (plural), I can easily decide to make "normal things" plural.
    Last edited by jandros; 04-16-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Corrected MORE inconsistencies in singular/pural forms.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (11-03-2009)

Thanks

Teacher jandros ... (and it's an invitation to all native speakers here )

May I put here my posts I doubt, and u correct the mistakes, as u did with Orwa? ..Plz! Plz!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loca-por-Ba!le View Post
    Teacher jandros ... (and it's an invitation to all native speakers here )

May I put here my posts I doubt, and u correct the mistakes, as u did with Orwa? ..Plz! Plz!
    Yes, of course! Please do!!

I need to be away from the computer for a few hours, but maybe Istanbulgal or someone else will be on soon ... and I'll be back tonight or tomorrow

Thanks

so that means (not, 'mean' as it refers to 3rd person, ie: 'it')
    didn't & haven't have (not, 'has' as you're talking about 2 things)
    these 2 words (not, 'this', remember plural = 'these')

The answer to your question is no, there is a logic, explanation below:

Orwie: Didn't I explain this to you before?!! Let's refresh your memory:

1. Your question addresses the Present Perfect. We use the Present Perfect to express an action that has taken place at an unspecified period of time, ie: already, yet, never, always, once, etc. See examples below:

Have you travelled a lot?.
    Yes, I have; I always travel in the summer.

Has he graduated from university?
    No, he hasn't graduated yet.

Have you seen the latest James Bond movie?
    Yes, I have already seen it numerous times.

Has Milena returned from her trip to the moon?
    No, she still hasn't returned.

Have you ever visited Syria?
    No, I haven't yet, but I plan to in the near future.

Note that in examples above, always, yet, already and still represent an unspecified time.

You cannot use this tense to express specific times, ie: 2 weeks ago, 5 years ago, yesterday, etc.

2. Did/Didn't - refers to the Simple Past. Examples:

Did you go to the Chinese Fair yesterday?
    Yes, I did.

Did you enjoy it?
    Yes, I did enjoy it very much.

Didn't you know that I'm Hungarian?
    No, I didn't know that.

Do they like living in China?
    Yes, they do like it very much.

As Jandros mentioned, you can do better than simple tenses, so start focusing on writing in other tenses as well, mix them up a little, ie: use the Present Perfect! And yes, punctuation, especially for long sentences is extremely important in making yourself understood!.
    Last edited by istanbulgal; 04-16-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

18. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (10-31-2009)

Thanks

1.BTW Mister jandros, could you please write me the different between Especialy and specialy

2. when i get AMAZING in english i won't use commas. however now keep me using this commas!
    1. could you please tell me or explain the difference...

2. these commas. (Pay attention to singular/plural)

Please check yourself, the definition of the words: especially, special and specialty, that way, you will remember better. Examples below are self-explanatory & hopefully helpful:

Russian Caviar is an expensive specialty. (Refers to a product)
    Specialty foods are found only at selective stores.
    His specialty is surgery. (Refers to a profession/field of study)

I like to travel, but especially in the ME region.
    Their children always misbehave, especially the little one.

He is so special to me!
    It's nice to celebrate special days with family & friends.

Jandros said: Rule#1 - KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid! I'm not calling anyone stupid!
    Albert Einstein

20. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Me again...
    Can someone please explain the meaning of "come undone" ... Especially in these two songs

Duran Duran - Come Undone (there are also lyrics on the right)

- Robbie Williams - Come Undone

It has been bugging me for quite a while and although I've found some definitions they simply don't fit ... especially when I try to translate the lyrics

he's (he has) come undone = he has fallen apart, he has lost control over herself/her life.

Thanks

Here's what I found in UrbanDictionary.com:

"come undone" -

When something hits you out of left field and you can't help but cry. An unexpected solemn event that tends to swell up sad feelings.

:]
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

Thanks

ohhh nice nice... I can find answers here........
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Thanks

Istanbulgal & Jandros: You both are doing a great job over here

Thank you so much to you both!!!!1

It's growing too fast, I just realized that I have lost 2 pages!!! I have a lot to read right now!!!! Too long, later ... hehehe

Thank you friends

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Me again...
    Can someone please explain the meaning of "come undone" ... Especially in these two songs

Duran Duran - Come Undone (there are also lyrics on the right)

- Robbie Williams - Come Undone

It has been bugging me for quite a while and although I've found some definitions they simply don't fit ... especially when I try to translate the lyrics

he's (he has) come undone = he has fallen apart, he has lost control over herself/her life.
    You got the right idea Spring.

The phrase can have a multitude of meanings as you saw in its definition, however, it always depends on the context, in fact, a word can have various meanings within the same song.

Come undone: to unravel, to feel destroyed, to lose self-control, to feel lost, to break-down, to become unfastened, ie: a bra/button/shoelace/outfit, to back out, etc.

Keep in mind however, that often times, lyrics/poetry leave a lot of room for personal interpretation, so you should give the songs your own figurative/metaphorical interpretation as the way I interpret it could be entirely different from that of yours, just keep in mind the general theme of the song to come up with the correct interpretation, ie: in the case of Duran Duran's song, the song is of a romantic/seductive nature, whereas Williams' has a desperate tone.
    Albert Einstein

26. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@Teacher Jandros, sir, You're extremely nice person, i don't know what to say, anyways, keep me scilent now!!
    So simple english ALWAYS use "didn't", but to show that i am VERY fluent in english, i may use "Haven't & Hasn't", i'd love to show people i am fluent!!

hmm, I always try to capitalize first letter, but it's just a mistake or i forget, sorry!

Look teacher, i have tons of questions want to ask, but i am trying to ask one by one, step by step, i don't want to study everything now, and after some days forget everything!

the dog came to the room, and i asked "it" or "him" or "her" to go to the another room???

btw, about "that", i read on internet "that" i can include it in my sentence or not, it depend on me, mean, if i put it or i did not that won't change the meaning of the sentence, like follow:

i know you're going to school
    i know that you're going to school

so what i read was right???

Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast