Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Thanks

ThanX jandros

Ppl::
    1-Plz! Give me the verbs followed with verbs with "ing". e.g: to start doing... I forgot them.

2-Our teacher is used to telling us that "by" is used with "persons" >> It was eaten by Ahmad, and "with" is used with "things" >> I wrote with my pen.
    The question: Is this info correct or not?

ThanX in advance

Thanks

Teacher Istanbulgalita, you write sooo much and explain with VERY great way, i think you might be a nice teacher in the future (??)

Thanks millions MOON-GAL

Aaaaaa. no i don't remember you explained to me the differen(ce) between Haven't & Didn't. However thank you for explaning now, i apperecite that!!

aha, now i got your meaning, so haven't & hasn't & Didn't are similar, not very big different, and as Jandros said, it's nearly the same, therefore i'll use both of them depend on my mood, one time haven't and another time didn't!!!!

Thank you again Moon-gal
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lopatka View Post
    Here's what I found in UrbanDictionary.com:

"come undone" -

When something hits you out of left field and you can't help but cry. An unexpected solemn event that tends to swell up sad feelings.

:]

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    You got the right idea Spring.

The phrase can have a multitude of meanings as you saw in its definition, however, it always depends on the context, in fact, a word can have various meanings within the same song.

Come undone: to unravel, to feel destroyed, to lose self-control, to feel lost, to break-down, to become unfastened, ie: a bra/button/shoelace/outfit, to back out, etc.

Keep in mind however, that often times, lyrics/poetry leave a lot of room for personal interpretation, so you should give the songs your own figurative/metaphorical interpretation as the way I interpret it could be entirely different from that of yours, just keep in mind the general theme of the song to come up with the correct interpretation, ie: in the case of Duran Duran's song, the song is of a romantic/seductive nature, whereas Williams' has a desperate tone.
    Thanks lopatka and istanbulgal! I sort of think I can pick a meaning for "come undone" in each of the lines but...
    I am not sure if I have issues with the meaning of the song (Duran Duran for a start) or my old problem is kicking in again - wondering how far can I go with interpretation when translating something in order to keep the original meaning... Because, songs in my own language can also have "mysterious" lyrics but I cant decide whether to leave them as such or to interpret... so... can this be correct?

Mine immaculate dream, made breath and skin I've been waiting for you - My sinless dream, (a) life made for me, I've been waiting for you
    Signed with a home tattoo, happy birthday to you was created for ya - The words happy birthday were invented for you, with a mark that you belong with me
    Lost in a snow filled sky, we'll make it alright to come undone now - Lost in a snow filled sky, we'll make sure that it's ok to lose control

and this:
    Can't I believe you're taking my heart too pieces - is he asking her, like "can I believe its really true?"; "why won't you let me believe"
    Or, asking himself "why can't I believe you're taking my heart"
    Maybe it can be: "why wouldn't I believe"

Also... "blow me in to cry"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post
    @Teacher Jandros, sir, you're an extremely nice person, I don't know what to say, anyways (anyway), keep me scilent (silent) now!! (I will keep silent now).
    So simple english ALWAYS uses "didn't", but to show that i am VERY fluent in english, i may use "Haven't & Hasn't", i'd love to show people i am fluent!!
    Thanks Orwa, I always appreciate your courtesy and gratitude, but you don't even need to mention it

About my corrections in blue: Always, always capitalize I (pronoun), anywhere in a sentence. Never capitalize other pronouns, except at the beginning of a sentence.

About "simple English", I don't to confuse other people who read this: Of course it is important to learn when to use have/has and their negative forms. And the s form (like has, hasn't, uses, gets), is only used for [B]3rd-person singular, he/she/it.

So........., now i can say for the problems (I can ask about the word) "them"??...

the dog came to the room, and i asked "it" or "him" or "her" to go to the another room???
    For animals, it doesn't really matter. If you know the gender, use "he" or "she". If you don't know, use "it".

btw, about "that", i read on internet "that" i can include it in my sentence or not, it depend on me, mean, if i put it or i did not that won't change the meaning of the sentence, like follow:

i know you're going to school
    i know that you're going to school
    In some cases the word "that" is important; in other cases, it's helpful; but in other cases, it's not necessary at all. In your example above, you are exactly right. It's not necessary. In fact it complicates the sentence, so your first sentence is better.
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (10-31-2009)

Thanks

wow its so weird seeing people trying to learn my language. i guess growing up here, it wasnt hard to learn. it seems so hard for you guys. GOOD LUCK
    What is the cure for Cancer, Eric? The cure for death itself. The answer is immortality. By creating a legacy, by living a life worth remembering, you become immortal.--Amanda from Saw 2!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Lost in a snow filled sky, we'll make it alright to come undone now - Lost in a snow filled sky, we'll make sure that it's ok to lose control[/I]

Dear Spring, I'm afraid to appear a bit rude, but you might want to consider the fact that those lines can be interpreted in a bit "down to earth" manner. COME UNDONE can also mean to "get undressed" and BLOW ME IN TO CRY ... I'm afraid to say it...

Thanks

Gosh you scared me with the intro.. Of course you are not appearing to be rude! lol
    I guess losing control might mean the same... in a slightly less direct way
    Thanks again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loca-por-Ba!le View Post
    ThanX jandros

Ppl::
    1-Plz! Give me the verbs followed with verbs with "ing". e.g: to start doing... I forgot them.
    Hmmm ... there is an exact list? As a native-English speaker, maybe I've forgotten ... maybe someone else can add or explain more. But as a short answer:

to start and to begin are exactly the same (whichever you prefer).
    to stop or to quit doing ...
    to continue doing (to keep doing, to go on doing) ...

Please start writing.
    I wish he would stop talking/speaking/yelling so loudly.
    He continued driving, singing, looking, painting ...
    Why do you keep calling me on the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Loca-por-Ba!le View Post
    2-Our teacher is used to telling us that "by" is used with "persons" >> It was eaten by Ahmad, and "with" is used with "things" >> I wrote with my pen.
    The question: Is this info correct or not?
    Those examples are correct. The rules of "by/with" might require more explanation, but only for more complex cases.

Regarding people, quite often it's better (and easier) to use active verbs instead of passive verbs: Ahmada ate it.
    But here's another correct example that sounds good either way:

That song was written by Irving Berlin.
    Irving Berlin wrote that song.
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (10-31-2009)

Thanks

and this:
    Can't I believe you're taking my heart too pieces - is he asking her, like "can I believe its really true?"; "why won't you let me believe"
    Or, asking himself "why can't I believe you're taking my heart"
    Maybe it can be: "why wouldn't I believe"

Should "taking" be "tearing" or "breaking"? Or maybe "taking my heart in pieces"? "Taking my heart to pieces" doesn't quite make sense in English

Can't or wouldn't: In this case, "can't" is much more meaningful because it's more specific, more definite for the moment (or the situation) and the feeling.

Is "blow me in to cry" an expression in another language? There is nothing like that in English

Thanks

I found a table of verbs that are followed by -ing verbs (gerunds,) although I don't know how to paste that table in here, so please click on the link:
    http://wps.ablongman.com/long_faigle....cw/index.html

or here is the list:
    admit (to)
    delay
    get used to
    practice
    risk
    appreciate
    deny
    look forward to
    put off
    stop
    avoid
    discuss
    imagine
    recommend
    suggest
    be accustomed to
    dislike
    keep (on)
    regret
    tolerate
    be used to
    enjoy
    (not) mind
    understand
    can’t help
    feel like
    miss
    resent
    consider
    finish
    postpone
    resist

all of the above can be followed by "doing something"

Thanks

@Jandros: No, you have not forgotten anything, there is no such list, the verbs fitting that category are endless. Loca-or-Baile: what gave you the impression there was a restricted list?. Just about any verb can be in gerund.

By and with are prepositions with many, many uses. Dictionaries are very helpful in explaining definitions & appropriate use.

Additional examples below:

Little by little, I'm improving my oral & written English skills.
    By the way, what are you doing this weekend?
    I am a lawyer by profession, but I wish I studied something else.
    Be sure to get home by no later than 9 p.m.!
    How did you mail the letter?. I mailed it by or via courier.
    Did you win the race?. Yes, but by just 5 seconds.

With:

I don't enjoy being with you anymore.
    With him I can accomplish anything.
    How much is it? With or without tax?
    Did you fight with Orwie?
    "Gone with the Wind" is a great movie.
    I prefer pasta with white sauce.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

14. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (11-03-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NikiLas View Post
    I'm afraid to appear a bit rude, but you might want to consider the fact that those lines can be interpreted in a bit "down to earth" manner. COME UNDONE can also mean to "get undressed" and BLOW ME IN TO CRY ... I'm afraid to say it...
    @Nikilas: that is what I meant by saying unfastening of a bra, outfit, etc. In interpreting a song, only the author knows for sure the true intended meaning; poetical words mean we can give it our own interpretation. Btw, ''I came undone this morning". No, I did not get undressed, I just lost my temper!!
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks

... Because, songs in my own language can also have "mysterious" lyrics but I cant decide whether to leave them as such or to interpret... so... can this be correct?
    I should have read your post completely, because of course the problem is that every language has "mysterious" lyrics and all of that And my question about "blow me in to cry" is probably a perfect example: What does is mean, how to interpret???

I can't help any more with that ... sorry ... I'm just agreeing and sympathizing with your dilemma

[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Is "blow me in to cry" an expression in another language? There is nothing like that in English

jandros, you are right....ive NEVER heard this before
    What is the cure for Cancer, Eric? The cure for death itself. The answer is immortality. By creating a legacy, by living a life worth remembering, you become immortal.--Amanda from Saw 2!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    @Jandros: No, you have not forgotten anything, there is no such list, the verbs fitting that category are endless......
    Thank you!!! I feel so much better now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    Should "taking" be "tearing" or "breaking"? Or maybe "taking my heart in pieces"? "Taking my heart to pieces" doesn't quite make sense in English

Can't or wouldn't: In this case, "can't" is much more meaningful because it's more specific, more definite for the moment (or the situation) and the feeling.
    It's like that in the original lyrics but I can't translate it like that which is why I'm in search for a different Eng sentence
    Well I know there is no such thing in English but it's from the original lyrics and again ... same problem... I guess he is just telling her "make me cry" which is totally silly on his part! lol (unless if the entire thing involves 'taking their clothes off' ... hehe)

Thanks

@istanbulgal: I guess I didn't read your post carefully enough... just wanted to help out...
    And yes, I agree that only the author alone knows the true meaning to anything he/she writes.

Thanks

Oh I have never been in this thread. I can confidently help here if needed. The Conservative Supremes may have another purpose other than singing
    It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; thru sickness we recognize the value of health; thru evil, the value of good; thru hunger, the value of food; thru exertion, the value of rest.

Thanks

I should have read your post completely, because of course the problem is that every language has "mysterious" lyrics and all of that And my question about "blow me in to cry" is probably a perfect example: What does is mean, how to interpret???

I can't help any more with that ... sorry ... I'm just agreeing and sympathizing with your dilemma
    Well.. I guess I am even worse... I totally missed this post of yours lol sorry! and thanks again

But... you do realize agreeing and sympathizing is sometimes more valuable than finding (an alternative) solution...?

I translated the song years ago for a guy who was torturing me with the "words playing me deja vu" and I suppose I'm finally done with interpretation! lol

Thanks

Hmmm ... there is an exact list? As a native-English speaker, maybe I've forgotten ... maybe someone else can add or explain more. But as a short answer:

to start and to begin are exactly the same (whichever you prefer).
    to stop or to quit doing ...
    to continue doing (to keep doing, to go on doing) ...

Please start writing.
    I wish he would stop talking/speaking/yelling so loudly.
    He continued driving, singing, looking, painting ...
    Why do you keep calling me on the phone?

Those examples are correct. The rules of "by/with" might require more explanation, but only for more complex cases.

Regarding people, quite often it's better (and easier) to use active verbs instead of passive verbs: Ahmada ate it.
    But here's another correct example that sounds good either way:

That song was written by Irving Berlin.
    Irving Berlin wrote that song.
    Thank u jandros for ur help and ur effort.
    And I just wanted to make sure that it's (or it was ) better to keep "with" for things, and "by" for persons... Thank u

Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast