Page 8 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Thanks

What about these:::

Quote Originally Posted by Loca-por-Ba!le View Post
    Hi Amira !

Well. Verbs in Egyptian dialect r not that different from the clasical ones, as u imagin ... Almost most of the verbs you wrote have the same meanings in Eyptian dialect, except some ones. So I'll write the verbs which have different meanings in Egyptian dialect. OK?

NoteS:

*q ق in Egyptian dialect is pronounced as "aأ".
    But in "decide-qarrar", "expect-tawaqqa'a", "punish = 3aaqeb", "sign-waqqa'a", "suggest-eqtaraha" we pronounce the q ق as it's.

*"jج" in Egyptian dialect is pronounced like "g" and "Th ذ" like "z" and *"thث" sometimes like "s". and sometimes like "tت"

*The last signal (on the last letter) of the verb,that is, the vowel which is put at the end of the Arabic verb (in Latin characters) is not pronounced when the subject is: "I = ana" Or "you(m) = enta","he = howwa or name of boy" Or "she = Heya or any name of girl" Or "We = e7na (in Present tense)".

>> What's this??

>>> EX::: When we want to say: "He wrote" we use the same verb: kataba, but without the last signal, so we say just "katab" without the last vowel ("a", here).

*I doubt in some verbs here on the top,may some one correct them 4 u, and others I coudn't translate them into Egyptian for now

*Some of the verbs meanings of Egyptian dialect I wrote for u r simply other way to say the verbs in classic Arabic, too, that is, they r used in the bot. Not all verbs, some of them.

*I think it's not enough to learn the verbs meanings in Egyptian dialect, coz the congugation is different,too, in all cases. Egyptian dialect has its own way to congugate the verbs, a bit different from the clasical way!!!

*add = adaaf أضاف
    and we use "7a6" حَطّ, too.

*bring = gaab جاب

*carry = shaal شال

*catch = mesek مِسِك

*close = afal قفل

*ignore >> in this verb, Egyptians used to use some funny expressions to express it. Now u can say:: "naffad" نفَّض. And when u order some one to ignore all u can say: fokkak فُكَّك >> This is the last version
    No hope in my English or what?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loca-por-Ba!le View Post
    Hi all teachers here.

A new job! ... Now I have a doubt in this replay mine. Plz correct it for me.

"Well. Verbs in Egyptian dialect are not that different from the clasical ones, as u imagin. Almost most of the verbs you wrote have the same meanings in Eyptian dialect, except some ones. So I'll write the verbs which have different meanings in Egyptian dialect. OK?"

Which one can I say: "I'll write you ..." , "I'll write for you the verbs which have..." or "I'll write the verbs ..... for you"? (Or u want me to delete this phrase "for you" basicly? )

ThanX in advance
    Hola Loca
    So sorry you had to wait so long on this!! A short and simple answer is that you can make this as simple as you like:

"I'll write the verbs which (that*) have ..."

*Just to mention, either "which" or "that" is ok in this situation, but it's more common and increasingly preferred to use "that".

But about your main question: In a complex sentence, you can delete "for you", just like I wrote it above. If you try to use "for you" in a sentence with multiple phrases, it's a little awkard. But if you really want to be clear, I would say "I'll write you the verbs that have ...."

This was a very good question regarding a very specific point

Sorry that I don't have time to explain more about your other post, but I have an appointment and I have to leave for little while. If you need more, or if you have any other questions, I'll be back in a few hours
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (11-04-2009)

Thanks

Mr. Jandros......., i don't have anything to ask right now, just wanted to say, thank you very much for being here...., you are really sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice person...

" Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    Hola Loca : )
    So sorry you had to wait so long on this!! A short and simple answer is that you can make this as simple as you like:

"I'll write the verbs which (that*) have ..."

*Just to mention, either "which" or "that" is ok in this situation, but it's more common and increasingly preferred to use "that".

But about your main question: In a complex sentence, you can delete "for you", just like I wrote it above. If you try to use "for you" in a sentence with multiple phrases, it's a little awkard. But if you really want to be clear, I would say "I'll write you the verbs that have ...."

This was a very good question regarding a very specific point : )

Sorry that I don't have time to explain more about your other post, but I have an appointment and I have to leave for little while. If you need more, or if you have any other questions, I'll be back in a few hours : )
    ¡Hola jandros!

You don't have to apologize. Thank u alot for answering,explaining, ur effort & ur time... Now I understand better.

About my other post, I know that it's very long and troublesome, so sorry ..I don't want the answer soon, I'll travel basicly and I'll be absent for a while . But plz, plz I ask u: Each time u enter here just try to correct one line I'm giving u an apportunity for 2 monthes to correct my mistakes, really I don't jok. Hope I don't annoy u And of course I invite our other native English speakers to share in this special post

Thanks

Mr. Jandros or teacher Istanbulgalita, What i wanted to ask are three questions..., first one, could you please tell me the translating of this:

1- "I'm sorry that I grew up way too fast", what's the meaning of "way"??, i know the regular meaning..., but what it mean here??

i heard it in a song for Akon..."Blame it on me"

2- days ago mr jandros said, blah blah soooo bad, what's the meaning of sooo bad??, i don't remember what you said, but could you tell me what it mean??

3- What's the meaning of "company"??, is it mean a partner??, or what??

@Istanbulgal, if you will check this..!!!, i got your email..., but i will reply your amazing email tomorrow very early in morning...
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post
    [B]

1- "I'm sorry that I grew up way too fast", what's the meaning of "way"??, i know the regular meaning..., but what it mean here??

2- days ago mr jandros said, blah blah soooo bad, what's the meaning of sooo bad??, i don't remember what you said, but could you tell me what it mean??

3- What's the meaning of "company"??, is it mean a partner??, or what??.
    1. "Way" in this context simply means 'very', it is used as a slang to add emphasis. Aside from its literal meaning of a road, path, space, a way of doing something, etc., there are many other uses, some examples below:

Way to go!
    I'm way too tired to argue.
    You ate way too much cake yesterday!
    No way I want to meet him.
    Way too expensive for me.
    They always go out of their way to please me.
    You gave me way too much information.
    You're way off base with your comment.
    I believe it is the only way to an amicable solution.
    He's so lazy, always looking for the easy way out.
    Do I like him? No way!
    Please do not compare me to her in any way, shape or form!
    It's always your way or the highway.
    Have it your way.
    I think I gave you way too many examples!
    By the way, I think it's your bed time!

2. I'll let Mr. Jandros answer this one.

3. It has many meanings. Your homework: read link below!

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18...7/company.html
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

8. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Istanbulgalita, thank you very very very very very much..., i apperciate your help.., and i'll do some homeworks tomorrow "I promise you"

and you deserve some points for this help.., i'll give it to you tomorrow as well...

Thanks

I am back cause I need help again ...

Can I say :
    You got it into your head that I am ...

as in - you are (wrongly) convinced that... but I need something more poetic than that

And/or

You are determined to... (is there another way to say it?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post

Can I say :
    You got it into your head that I am ...

as in - you are (wrongly) convinced that... but I need something more poetic than that

And/or

You are determined to... (is there another way to say it?)
    Hi Spring:

"You got it into your head that I am.." is totally acceptable! But depending on the situation, as I like to be clear and I'm detail oriented, I would go a step further and say "you got it into your thick skull that I'm ...". j/k

Other ways of expressing the same thought in some poetic and not so poetic ways:

You're way too obsessed with the notion that I'm....
    You're adamant that I'm....
    You're ludicrous for believing that I'm...
    Your unyielding belief that I'm.....
    You're unreasonable suggesting that I'm....
    You're blind if you can accept/believe that I'm
    You don't know me at all if you're so convinced/determined that I'm
    You're insane/out of your mind to even contemplate the idea/thought that I'm........
    Your bullheadedness/pigheadedness/stubborness is not allowing to see that I'm.....

Hope the above helps!
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

12. The Following User Says Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi istanbulgal! Of course it helps! Big time!
    Thank you very much!

Thanks

[B]
    Simple answer: It's slang, it is not correct English spelling or grammar!

Complete answer: The word "so" implies a cause and effect, or a comparative thought, an analogy, or something like that. If I want to stress (emphasize) or compare one thing to another, or to express a result, I might say:

I am so tired that I want to sleep for a week.
    I was so tired that I fell asleep on the bus.
    I love you so much that it hurts!
    (Or "I love you so much, it hurts!")
    If you are so tired, why don't you take you nap?
    (Actually it's more grammatically correct to say "If you are as tired as you say..." ... again, a comparison, not an isolated "so")

To repeat this important point: It is usually not correct English to use "so" by itself. But this is acceptable:

Why are you so tired? (as a response to something you said, or something I noticed)

This is wrong, not correct grammar (but informally acceptable):

You are so right!
    (more correct: You are absolutely right!)

I love you so much!
    (more correct: just "I love you!")

But listen Orwi-san little brother, I am soooooo tired of writing now that I need to stop!
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mr. Jandros..., thanks for explaning.., i am way soooooo happy that you gave me of your time..., i apperciate your help.., thanks very much

Thanks

Mr. Jandros & Ms. Istanbulgalita!

I wanted to know if there's some "easy" songs so i can hear it, as everyone know that learning languages from musics is a great idea.., so i wanted some suggestions.., cuz i don't know the easy songs!

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Hello Orwa. I'm apologize I have offered my help in this thread, but have not been of any service. I am just really busy and everytime I go to answer, The wonderful Jandros and Istanbulgal has answered wonderfully. So maybe I can help you with this.

I think the best songs to learn from are the one's with least "slang". The only way to achieve that is to go with "oldies" songs. I personally love them They are simple verses with rhyme to it. They make sense and are sweet. Not derogitory.

If you want more contemporary music, I would suggest Boyz II Men. They are clear to understand and they redo a lot of Motown which is always nice to listen to.

Let me go about it this way, what kind of music do you typically like listening to for long periods of time. Don't say everything, but rather what tunes you in the best...???
    It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; thru sickness we recognize the value of health; thru evil, the value of good; thru hunger, the value of food; thru exertion, the value of rest.

Thanks

Dear Angeliki

No need to apologize, thanks soo very much

for learning i like to listen anything, but to enjoy musics i like to hear classical songs, i love them a lot

but any easy song you know please...please introduce it to me

thanks in advance

Thanks

Okay Orwa, I suggest listening to the following musicians/bands. In bold i have provided an album to listen to by each of those artists. As you know, some albums are better than others. Its always nice to invest your time listening to albums where 90%-100% of their songs are good.

Bon Jovi Cross Road- Good songs off that album include: Livin on a Prayer, I'll Be There for You, Always, Wanted Dead or Alive....

Aerosmith Big Ones- Some good songs include: Amazing, Cryin, Angel, Livin on the Edge

ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits- I had to lol... Some songs include: Chiquitita, Does Your Mother Know, I Do, I Do, I Do (not on that album though )

The Supremes Gold- I Hear A Symphony, Stoned Love, You Can't Hurry Love....

Jewel Pieces of You- Foolish Games, You Were Meant for Me, Who Will Save Your Soul

I'm trying to pick out songs that you can ask questions about and hear clearly. I'll post more when I think of it...
    It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; thru sickness we recognize the value of health; thru evil, the value of good; thru hunger, the value of food; thru exertion, the value of rest.

Thanks

Angelikieeeeee, thank you so much for your time..., as i do not have Youtube here in Chinetto, so i am going to download them one by one from internet.., and i'll listen them carefuly..., if i have any questions i'll ask.., but don't hate me.., ha??

Thanks very much again...,

Thanks

You're very welcome dear. Ask as many questions as you want

Thanks

Excuse me dear teachers.., could you PLEASE tell me what's the meaning of this sentence:

((Searched high and low, So close yet so far to go, i just know there's a sunny day))

Or better way, what's the meaning of "yet", is it the same as "Also"?

that's a link of the song..,(Maybe) Sunny day

Thanks very much in advance

Thanks

Excuse me dear teachers.., could you PLEASE tell me what's the meaning of this sentence:

((Searched high and low, So close yet so far to go, i just know there's a sunny day))

Or better way, what's the meaning of "yet", is it the same as "Also"?

that's a link of the song..,(Maybe) Sunny day

Thanks very much in advance
    "Yet" means however or but. Its a cunjunction. It connects two thoughts or ideas.

When the lyrics say "searched high and low", its an expression that means I searched everywhere (or I looked all over the place)

The next sentence "so close yet so far to go" is saying: So close but so far to go.

The final part of the sentence "I just know there's a sunny day" is a figure of speech or expression that is essentially saying, I just know that there are better days.

"Sunny days" mean happy days or better days. It doesn't just mean that it is sunny out.

Did I explain it okay or did I confuse you

Page 8 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast