Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None
  1. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Thank you... It sounds funny to say "a la disco" if you don't know that it is short for "discoteca".
    What do you think about "voy a salsa"? Is that ever said like that in Spanish speaking countries that you know of? I've never heard it but... what do I know?
    voy a salsa doesn't make any sense. if you were gonna say "i'm going to (dance) salsa" it you would voy a bailar, and if you were going somewhere to salsa it would be "voy a la dico" or where ever you're gonna go to do it.

2. Katrocks said:

This thread cracks me up I swear ! Every time I get an update via email I have to come back!!! "Voy a Salsa " !! ha ha!!! You guys are hilarious!!! Thankx all for keeping this thread alive!!

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by Katrocks View Post
    This thread cracks me up I swear ! Every time I get an update via email I have to come back!!! "Voy a Salsa " !! ha ha!!! You guys are hilarious!!! Thankx all for keeping this thread alive!!
    Yeah.... the original post by Nene, who is learning the language, said "Vengo a salsa", which put all kinds of weird pictures in my head. I just kept seeing a big bowl of salsa and someone jumping into it. We can always say, "Vengo a ensalsarme".... now, there's a picture!
    I love this thread too!

4. Katrocks said:

Too much!!!!

5. Katrocks said:

I have a problem with the Argentinian dialect wow It is really hard to understand!!I can understand the Spanish spoken in Spain pretty well but the later wow. do you know of any good audio books in The Argentinian dialect that I may listen to to get used to the sound?
    Last edited by Katrocks; 11-07-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Nene said:

Hehe, that's a good point, damarys! I just realized what happened there.
    I presume the way we say "Voy a salsa..." is some kind of jargon here among the Spanish living in Dublin. Jaja! Because I heard it a couple of times where "salsa" is ment as place & dance in one. Of course, you are right, this is not correct!
    Thanks for noticing!
    Mivel mindig az okos enged, már rég a hülyék uralkodnak...

Nene said:

Quote Originally Posted by Katrocks View Post
    I have a problem with the Argentinian dialect wow It is really hard to understand!!I am planning a trip in December and I am lost. I can understand the Spanish spoken in Spain pretty well but the later wow. do you know of any good audio books in The Argentinian dialect that I may listen to to get used to the sound?
    I'm not surprised! I have an Argentinian friend who speaks funny Spanish! What I've noticed is that he doesn't pronounce "LL" as soft "L" (as in Spain), but he says "ZSH" instead.
    So at the end you hear: "zsho me zshamo..." instead of "yo me llamo..."

The other thing I've noticed is how the letter "S" is pronounced in the middle of the word. It is completely missing and instead you can hear something like a silent "H". For instance, my name "Denisa" he would pronounce like "Deniha", where "h" is not as strong as we pronounce it in English.

I hope this helps somehow!

8. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Nene View Post
    I'm not surprised! I have an Argentinian friend who speaks funny Spanish! What I've noticed is that he doesn't pronounce "LL" as soft "L" (as in Spain), but he says "ZSH" instead.
    So at the end you hear: "zsho me zshamo..." instead of "yo me llamo..."

The other thing I've noticed is how the letter "S" is pronounced in the middle of the word. It is completely missing and instead you can hear something like a silent "H". For instance, my name "Denisa" he would pronounce like "Deniha", where "h" is not as strong as we pronounce it in English.

I hope this helps somehow!
    when i talk (with a somewhat dominican accent mixed with a little mexican influence since that's the only people that live around me) i don't pronounce s before a vowel or at the end of the word. also, sometimes y is replaced with an english j. actually, the sound you said for ll might be the same as how y is. i don't really know how to describe it. it's not done all the time, but sometimes people do it.

xiurell said:

Thank you... It sounds funny to say "a la disco" if you don't know that it is short for "discoteca".
    What do you think about "voy a salsa"? Is that ever said like that in Spanish speaking countries that you know of? I've never heard it but... what do I know?

'voy a salsa' is correct for me, the same as in 'voy a piano', 'voy a natación' etc
    but always with the meaning that you are taking classes

so the sentences will be 'voy a clases de salsa, de piano, de natación, etc'

Nene said:

Well Xiurell, in fact I am kind of "taking lessons" at the Salsa Club, because I'm a total begginer. Even though, sometimes my friends tell me: "Tu tienes salsa en tu sangre." (or something similar). Hehe!

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Nene View Post
    Well Xiurell, in fact I am kind of "taking lessons" at the Salsa Club, because I'm a total begginer. Even though, sometimes my friends tell me: "Tu tienes salsa en tu sangre." (or something similar). Hehe!
    that's a pretty direct translation jaja. i've never heard anyone say that before. what do you native speakers think? it sounds kinda chicano-ish lol

damarys said:

"You have salsa in your blood." That is an appropriate phrase to use for someone who loves to dance salsa. OR someone who loves salsa on all their food! It's all about context!!!!

13. dmoney101 said:

"You have salsa in your blood." That is an appropriate phrase to use for someone who loves to dance salsa. OR someone who loves salsa on all their food! It's all about context!!!!
    lol, i haven't heard that phrase in spanish. i thought it might just be something that english speakers translated directly. i hear that a lot lol

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    lol, i haven't heard that phrase in spanish. i thought it might just be something that english speakers translated directly. i hear that a lot lol
    I'm not sure if it's a common phrase or not in Spanish; but it is understood if it were used. It doesn't sound odd.

Estrellita said:

hola todos, I'm in my second year of spanish at high school and next year I'm gonna take spanish 3 and 4. I try and speak it as much as I can and I watch the spanish chanell and listen to a lot of music. I was just wondering does anybody have any tips on how I can become even more fluent. gracias

16. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Estrellita View Post
    hola todos, I'm in my second year of spanish at high school and next year I'm gonna take spanish 3 and 4. I try and speak it as much as I can and I watch the spanish chanell and listen to a lot of music. I was just wondering does anybody have any tips on how I can become even more fluent. gracias
    well you've got plenty of stuff teaching you the language, all you gotta work on is your speech and accent. the only way to really do that is to have conversations in spanish. also, i found rapping/singing in spanish helped me with being able to talk faster without stuttering (it took me a while before i could talk fast like a native speaker)

Estrellita said:

thankz, I thought I was the only who did that to learn spanish, couz I'll be in the middle of class and start bustin out with a random song so I can practice lol

18. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Estrellita View Post
    thankz, I thought I was the only who did that to learn spanish, couz I'll be in the middle of class and start bustin out with a random song so I can practice lol
    yea, i freestlye every once in a while in spanish jaja

Estrellita said:

I'm jealous, I wish I could do that lol

20. AndLoveYelledNO said:

I think whenever learning a language, vocabulary is very important. You should buy a dictionary that way you can easily look up a word you don't know. It will stick in your mind.
    I'm learning Japanese and that helps, along with watching a lot of TV. I pick up words constantly

Suerte!