Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    Thanks Damarys. You explained why one of my Cuban friends was a little ..... hmmm, vague?

But I believe there are actually 2 places that US citizens can visit, legally. But maybe only for "business" reasons? Yo no sé. Anyway, I'm gonna check on it.

About the Cuban language: I stayed at a hotel in Miami a week ago (and also yesterday), and I walked down the street to find some Cuban food. Found a place very easily, and the menu was posted in the window, but I couldn't read most of it. Problema muy grande. Maybe I just don't know enough about Cuban food? ... but anyway, I had Chinese food instead, because that menu was in English

Cuban food is the food of the gods!!! Nothing is spicy hot (well, not typically). Everything is yummy. You probably didn't understand what it was. Next time you find a good Cuban restaurant, go in and ask them to recommend stuff. Sometimes you can get a sampler. It is a mix of Afro-Asian-Spanish food. The Caribbean islands all eat similarly, but each has its own special twist.

Arroz blanco, frijoles negros, platanos fritos, yuca con mojito, ropa vieja, fricase, lechon asado, croquetas..... and of course, a nice frosty malta. I must stop... I'm getting hungry!

jandros said:

Torta de lengua! Well, yes, and I'm from a very old-fashioned family (grew up on a farm) and I've eaten every part of the pig, cerdo, carne de cerdo. Pero, si te gusta el cerdo, hay tambien la cabra ... the goat ... ¡La cabra asada, como la barbacoa, es muy delicioso!
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    ....Arroz blanco, frijoles negros, platanos fritos, yuca con mojito, ropa vieja, fricase, lechon asado, croquetas..... and of course, a nice frosty malta. I must stop... I'm getting hungry!
    I quoted your Spanish because this is a "Spanish language" thread ..... but you're teasing me really bad!! Yes, please stop!!!
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

4. dmoney101 said:

Cuban food is the food of the gods!!! Nothing is spicy hot (well, not typically). Everything is yummy. You probably didn't understand what it was. Next time you find a good Cuban restaurant, go in and ask them to recommend stuff. Sometimes you can get a sampler. It is a mix of Afro-Asian-Spanish food. The Caribbean islands all eat similarly, but each has its own special twist.

Arroz blanco, frijoles negros, platanos fritos, yuca con mojito, ropa vieja, fricase, lechon asado, croquetas..... and of course, a nice frosty malta. I must stop... I'm getting hungry!
    yea, my friend told me that caribbean food (Cuban and Dominican) was ranked #1 out of all the hispanic countries. I know i love dominican foods- fish, seafood, fruits, peppers, all that type of stuff, and i'm sure Cuban is just as good. Too bad we don't have any Caribbean restaurants in my area, i'd have to get a job there jaja

Torta de lengua! Well, yes, and I'm from a very old-fashioned family (grew up on a farm) and I've eaten every part of the pig, cerdo, carne de cerdo. Pero, si te gusta el cerdo, hay tambien la cabra ... the goat ... ¡La cabra asada, como la barbacoa, es muy delicioso!
    what's the word for pig intestines? my friend ordered when i got it, so i have no clue what it was, but the next time i go to a taqueria i wanna get it again

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    ...what's the word for pig intestines?...
    Hehe, I won't even try it!

damarys said:

what's the word for pig intestines? my friend ordered when i got it, so i have no clue what it was, but the next time i go to a taqueria i wanna get it again
    I'm thinking you are talking about "menudo". It's a soup with tripe in it. All you Mejicanos, favor de correjirme si estoy equivocada

7. dmoney101 said:

I'm thinking you are talking about "menudo". It's a soup with tripe in it. All you Mejicanos, favor de correjirme si estoy equivocada
    no, it was tacos with that in there.
    btw, why do people spell Mexico with a J? i read it was spelled like that when Spain had control, but it's been changed since then to an x

jandros said:

...btw, why do people spell Mexico with a J?....
    I'm sure someone from Spain or Mexico can give a much better answer: But I'm very certain that "x" was in the original spelling, from about 500 years ago. I'm sure it's from the Aztec word "Mexica" or "Mixteca", which relates to one of the many Aztec cities or tribes that were located in the general area of present-day Mexico City.

But I think Citlalli is our best ATL expert about things like this. But she's still away on vacation right now ... when she returns, maybe she will respond more at length about this.

edit: Mextli was the name of the Aztec god of war. More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mextli

damarys said:

Oops! I didn't even mean to do that! Sorry! It is Mexicanos... I guess I just wrote it phonetically. I really need to read what I type before hitting "Post". My apologies to the entire country of beautiful Mexico!

jandros said:

Oops! I didn't even mean to do that! Sorry!...
    Well, if I can say this on behalf of our friends and neighbors in Mexico (and Spain) ... you just mean that some people write the phonetic spelling sometimes, the way it's pronounced? ... writing "j" for the h sound, the letter x ... así, Mejico vs. Mexico ...

But anyway, just in case you need it, I'll help you beg for mercy .....

Please don't kill Damarys!!! I'm sure that no harm or offense was intended.

Also I've noticed, in the past, at least one Mexican man that I spoke with a few years ago ... he said the "x" in Mexico with a light "k" sound. But maybe that's regional dialect?

11. dmoney101 said:

I'm sure someone from Spain or Mexico can give a much better answer: But I'm very certain that "x" was in the original spelling, from about 500 years ago. I'm sure it's from the Aztec word "Mexica" or "Mixteca", which relates to one of the many Aztec cities or tribes that were located in the general area of present-day Mexico City.

But I think Citlalli is our best ATL expert about things like this. But she's still away on vacation right now ... when she returns, maybe she will respond more at length about this.

edit: Mextli was the name of the Aztec god of war. More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mextli
    when Spain took over mexico, it was spelled mejico, but when mexico got their independence back, they renamed it with the x (probably the aztec way to do it like you said)

jandros said:

But as I understand Mesoamerican history, there was no nation-state of "Mexico" before the Spaniards arrived ... just scattered tribes of Aztecas, mostly, whose language was apparently rich with the letter "x" ..... so I would think that the "x" is purely of Aztec origin, from the root of the name Mexico ... but maybe I'm completely ignorant about something? ... I've never seen Mexico spelled with a "j" at all, at least not formally .....

But one of the wiki articles that I quoted above says that the actual origin of the name Mexico is still argued, disputed to some degree. So I'm sure that we can't completely solve that question in this topic

But I love the history of mesoamerica, especially because it's still being discovered. I've read that they have only uncovered about 10% of the Aztec, Olmec and Mayan ruins, and other periods. It's amazing to see all of that unfold from year to year, regarding language and other things....

jandros said:

...You really can't say what a Cuban looks like (we come in all colors, shapes and sizes) but as soon as you hear one... you know it! Oye... chico... eso si que es la pura verdad!
    I've been learning exactly that over the years ... that there is no single "definition" for the appearance of a Cuban. And yes, the Cuban accent is sooooo recognizable, and I like to hear the differences, it's pleasant!

You're from Cuba? Or your family? Funny coincidence, I'm reading a book right now called "Havana Bay" (Martin Cruz Smith) and last week I cruised within a short distance of the island....

So can you tell me, what does "bolo" mean in Cuban?? I mean as a slur or a name-calling kind of thing? Or should I even use that word in a public forum???

14. dmoney101 said:

I've been learning exactly that over the years ... that there is no single "definition" for the appearance of a Cuban. And yes, the Cuban accent is sooooo recognizable, and I like to hear the differences, it's pleasant!

You're from Cuba? Or your family? Funny coincidence, I'm reading a book right now called "Havana Bay" (Martin Cruz Smith) and last week I cruised within a short distance of the island....

So can you tell me, what does "bolo" mean in Cuban?? I mean as a slur or a name-calling kind of thing? Or should I even use that word in a public forum???
    i think Que bolo? is a greeting like "What's poppin?" or "Que onda?" (or for me "k lo k tiguere?" jaja)

damarys said:

I was born there but have spent most of my life in the states. I'm afraid that I'm not up on the new lingo. THis is one of the reasons I come to this forum. I'm eager to improve my Spanish. My formal education in Spanish ended when I left Cuba while I was in primary school. Most of my formal education has been in English soooooo I'm here to learn my language better. So, I don't really know how "bolo" is used. I bet dmoney knows the answer!

Zahra2008 said:

no, it was tacos with that in there.
    btw, why do people spell Mexico with a J? i read it was spelled like that when Spain had control, but it's been changed since then to an x
    so its was with tacos not soup (like Menudo)... maybe its Tacos de Tripa

the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Zahra2008 said:

Oops! I didn't even mean to do that! Sorry! It is Mexicanos... I guess I just wrote it phonetically. I really need to read what I type before hitting "Post". My apologies to the entire country of beautiful Mexico!
    Como buena mexicana, Yo te perdono amiga... hahaha, dont worry....

Jandros... I wont kill Damarys
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    Como buena mexicana, Yo te perdono amiga... hahaha, dont worry....

Jandros... I wont kill Damarys
    I'm so happy to know I will live another day!!!! Viva Mexico!

xiurell said:

But as I understand Mesoamerican history, there was no nation-state of "Mexico" before the Spaniards arrived ... just scattered tribes of Aztecas, mostly, whose language was apparently rich with the letter "x" ..... so I would think that the "x" is purely of Aztec origin, from the root of the name Mexico ... but maybe I'm completely ignorant about something? ... I've never seen Mexico spelled with a "j" at all, at least not formally .....

But one of the wiki articles that I quoted above says that the actual origin of the name Mexico is still argued, disputed to some degree. So I'm sure that we can't completely solve that question in this topic

But I love the history of mesoamerica, especially because it's still being discovered. I've read that they have only uncovered about 10% of the Aztec, Olmec and Mayan ruins, and other periods. It's amazing to see all of that unfold from year to year, regarding language and other things....

In old Spanish, the sound of the -j was represented by -x, although in nowdays this letter represents the sound -ks, but the name of some cities or countries are spelled in old spanish keeping the original sound like México, Texas, etc We don't pronounce Meksico or teksas but Méjico and Tejas

20. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    so its was with tacos not soup (like Menudo)... maybe its Tacos de Tripa

yep, that's exactly it. with the cilantro, lime, and a good pinch of salt-you can't beat it

EDIT: forget what i said, i was thinkin about "que bola?" lol

it might mean borracho, but i'm not exactly sure