Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None

countthestars_x said:

Speaking of accents and all.. I remember learning back in eighth grade(now I'm a Senior in high school D: ), that there are different countries that pronounce the "ll," double 'L' differently. I don't remember which country pronounces which way. But I do remember that one country pronounces it as I believe as "ch?" Correct me if I'm wrong. ><;; It'd be resourceful to know considering I'm going into Spanish for College because I'll more than likely have to study abroad. And the last thing I want is to not speak in a way that the country is not consistent with.

2. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by countthestars_x View Post
    Speaking of accents and all.. I remember learning back in eighth grade(now I'm a Senior in high school D: ), that there are different countries that pronounce the "ll," double 'L' differently. I don't remember which country pronounces which way. But I do remember that one country pronounces it as I believe as "ch?" Correct me if I'm wrong. ><;; It'd be resourceful to know considering I'm going into Spanish for College because I'll more than likely have to study abroad. And the last thing I want is to not speak in a way that the country is not consistent with.
    there probably is. there's all kinds of accents since there's so many different countries that speak spanish. i've heard somebody pronounce y/ll as the j in english. he said ya and it sounded like ja (only a little different, i can't explain the exact sound in english since there's nothing like it)

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by countthestars_x View Post
    Yeah, in most Central American countries (I think) they pretty much just use the "yeh" sound for the y & ll, but some do use the "jeh" sound.

I believe the "jeh" sound is more common in South America though.

& in Argentina & Uruguay we use the "zheh" sound, like how the j is pronounced in French.

Then you get the people who get carried away in these two countries that pronounce it like "sh", haha. But some do use the "jeh" when we speak quickly.

So...

Basically, you can use the "yeh" & "jeh" in any country & in Argentina & Uruguay you can use "jeh" & "zheh"...& even "sh" if you wanna sound even more native lol.

Hope that wasn't too confusuing

4. koreanmami said:

i want to learn spanish more then anything...i learned when i was younger and i moved with my dad. no one spoke spanish so i forgot it by the time i was 10.
    but i'd LOVE to learn.

5. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by koreanmami View Post
    i want to learn spanish more then anything...i learned when i was younger and i moved with my dad. no one spoke spanish so i forgot it by the time i was 10.
    but i'd LOVE to learn.
    the way i learned (and am still learning):
    took it in school (which didn't help much)
    used spanish teaching websites (ask and i'll give you some links)
    i only hang out with hispanics, so it starts to become natural and i developed an accent
    the most important thing was listening to reggaeton/spanish rap. it helped me to learn to understand when they speak fast, plus it helps with slang. that's the main place i got my accent from too (mimicking the sound of dominicans and puerto ricans)

6. koreanmami said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    the way i learned (and am still learning):
    took it in school (which didn't help much)
    used spanish teaching websites (ask and i'll give you some links)
    i only hang out with hispanics, so it starts to become natural and i developed an accent
    the most important thing was listening to reggaeton/spanish rap. it helped me to learn to understand when they speak fast, plus it helps with slang. that's the main place i got my accent from too (mimicking the sound of dominicans and puerto ricans)
    yea i know what you mean. where i live there is nothing but mexicans,
    i mean i love it. i always have so much fun and i listen to a lot of reggeaton
    and spanish music. i have larned more then when i started out, its just taking
    sometime to really grasp it.
    and i'd love to get some of thoughs websites, por favor
    ^*Katalina*^

7. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by koreanmami View Post
    yea i know what you mean. where i live there is nothing but mexicans,
    i mean i love it. i always have so much fun and i listen to a lot of reggeaton
    and spanish music. i have larned more then when i started out, its just taking
    sometime to really grasp it.
    and i'd love to get some of thoughs websites, por favor

ok, the sites i used to get started were

http://www.ielanguages.com/spanish.html
    and
    http://learnspanish.elanguageschool.net/
    then i googled about any specific question about grammar i had

8. Katrocks said:

ok, the sites i used to get started were

http://www.ielanguages.com/spanish.html
    and
    http://learnspanish.elanguageschool.net/
    then i googled about any specific question about grammar i had
    Thankx for the links that's great!! I at the moment am using some audio books like Michel Thomas and Lingua phone which are great ! I like Michel Thomas He really is good , I have learned so much from him. Also Spanish for dummies is not bad but I have to admit , Michel Thomas is the best. But if you ask me , I speak 3 languages at the moment and learned all without difficulty. For example I learned Greek by reading Greek comic books for children which helped with the grammar allot. But I have to say the best way to learn any language is to have a boyfriend that speaks that language. Ha Ha ( had to put that in there)

9. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Katrocks View Post
    Thankx for the links that's great!! I at the moment am using some audio books like Michel Thomas and Lingua phone which are great ! I like Michel Thomas He really is good , I have learned so much from him. Also Spanish for dummies is not bad but I have to admit , Michel Thomas is the best. But if you ask me , I speak 3 languages at the moment and learned all without difficulty. For example I learned Greek by reading Greek comic books for children which helped with the grammar allot. But I have to say the best way to learn any language is to have a boyfriend that speaks that language. Ha Ha ( had to put that in there)
    i can't stand listening to audio tapes like Michel Thomas or Pimsleur because their accents sound so weird (Michel always has terrible accents in every language he teaches) and they usually only teach the usted form of words which isn't very useful in an everyday conversation.

10. Katrocks said:

i can't stand listening to audio tapes like Michel Thomas or Pimsleur because their accents sound so weird (Michel always has terrible accents in every language he teaches) and they usually only teach the usted form of words which isn't very useful in an everyday conversation.
    Yes I do agree with the accent bit, but the tapes I have cover all verb forms. He does start with the usted but then gradually gets to the tu's. But he has helped me allot with the verbs.

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Katrocks View Post
    Yes I do agree with the accent bit, but the tapes I have cover all verb forms. He does start with the usted but then gradually gets to the tu's. But he has helped me allot with the verbs.
    ok, that's good. i was probably thinking of the pimsleur program. it only teaches usted (at least, as far as i went, i quit after a few of them :P)

jandros said:

Hi Zahra!!!

Anyone? .... I used to listen to some Mexican music, to help me learn and remember words and phrases, for my purposes in the U.S. and regional travel. Pero, hace muchos a&#241;os!! I've lost track of my taste in Mexican music, so to speak

So now, who? .....

I used to love Tish Hinojosa, and a couple of male groups who were 'folk' singers, but not 'too' folksy. And I also like .... country-rock? That would be the American description .... ok ok, I'll confess ... I also used to love Los Tejas Tornados, with Freddy Fender. But I also LOVE classical Spanish guitar.

Oh, and Santana!

So after bearing my very soul, can anyone suggest music for me? Preferably with decent Spanish lyrics and reasonably good grammar, suitable for an 'older gentleman'?

Thanks for any tips!!

jandros said:

Tambi&#233;n:

Is there an "easy" lesson for the proper use of -se? I don't even remember what I need to ask ... passive/active, transitive/intransitive, like that?

Also objective and other non-subject pronouns?

Xiurell or Zahra? Zahra, you're from Mexico, and I've learned most of my Spanish from Mexican friends, but also a little Puerto Rican, with rare and tiny doses of Colombian and Venezuelan ... a little confusion

But anyway, I've gotten some great refresher classes from this sticky already, and I appreciate all of it, and thanks for any additional help!

14. dmoney101 said:

can somebody explain to me what hechate means? i heard it in the phrase "hechate pa'lla" which to me sounds like "make yourself over there" lol

damarys said:

Echar means to add, or throw or toss. Like, "Voy a echar unas cebollas en la olla." "I'm gonna throw some onions in the pot". Or "Echame la pelota" for "Throw me the ball".
    But in the context you stated "echate para alla" means literally "throw your self over there" but really means "scoot over" or "move over".

jandros said:

M&#250;sica101, Xiurell? Zahra

Lessons have been FANTASTIC! But it's been a few days. Will there be more?

Do I sound impatient? Lo siento ...

17. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Echar means to add, or throw or toss. Like, "Voy a echar unas cebollas en la olla." "I'm gonna throw some onions in the pot". Or "Echame la pelota" for "Throw me the ball".
    But in the context you stated "echate para alla" means literally "throw your self over there" but really means "scoot over" or "move over".
    oh, i thought it meant made since the only time i ever heard it was in "Hecho En Mexico"

citlalli said:

oh, i thought it meant made since the only time i ever heard it was in "Hecho En Mexico"
    Little spelling mistake, that's why...

"Hecho en México"= Hecho is the past participle of the verb "hacer" (to make)

"Echate pa'lla"=Echate is the imperative of "echar" (to throw, to toss)

The confusion is probably due to the fact that, as you surely know, we don't pronounce the "h" at all in Spanish
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

19. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Little spelling mistake, that's why...

"Hecho en México"= Hecho is the past participle of the verb "hacer" (to make)

"Echate pa'lla"=Echate is the imperative of "echar" (to throw, to toss)

The confusion is probably due to the fact that, as you surely know, we don't pronounce the "h" at all in Spanish
    well then was the other explanation wrong because the word was spelled as héchate, or was the spelling in the phrase wrong?

citlalli said:

yes, the spelling was wrong... what damarys wrote is completely right
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.