Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None

papi.got.swag said:

lol what did u say ba i got your mouth watering for the food?

2. BAGurl said:

@vicious, no... not really... but I think you can use the "search this thread" feature on the right upper corner of this same thread

@papi... yeah! that sounds yummie!!! I wanted to eat all that (and maybe a lil more too, heheh)

3. BAGurl said:

si me voy de vacaciones a vegas, voy a ir a visitarte con mis amigas y mas te vale que cocines todo eso en cantidades abundantes... hehehe

(lets see if u get that 1 )

seydarr said:

can anyone explain me this please!

in what cases do you use subjunctive after 'creo que' and in what cases dont you use it???

Gracias...
    Είναι τα αισθήματα μου σαν θηρία ανήμερα, κι ούτε ξέρω πως τ' αντέχω και τα συγκρατώ.

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by seydarr View Post

in what cases do you use subjunctive after 'creo que' and in what cases dont you use it???

Gracias...
    Creo Que...is translated to: I Believe that....

So in the same sense that you would use "I Believe that..." in english...is the same way you would use "Creo Que" in spanish....

I Believe that Maria is crazy
    Creo que Maria esta Loca

I believe that's true
    Creo que es verdad

etc etc!
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

viciousz_love said:

you would use the subjunctive after creo que when it's something that you're anticipating

creo que el venga a la fiesta a las dos

also you can use it when there's a subject change

creo que el quiera ir a la fiesta

but for all of these it depends on the mood.
    if you know it's a fact or definite .. then use indicative
    if you what you are talking about is indefinite, anticipated and hasn't happened yet, changes subject after que ... usually you're using the subjunctive.

does anyone want to correct me? haha

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by viciousz_love View Post
    you would use the subjunctive after creo que when it's something that you're anticipating

if you what you are talking about is indefinite, anticipated and hasn't happened yet, changes subject after que ... usually you're using the subjunctive.

right! but Creo still means either 'I Think' or 'I believe' in both of your sentences. I mean it can get a little more intricate depending on the level of spanish being used. but for these purposes I tried to lay it down in layman's terms so that they may grasp the overall concept of the word and it's usage.

Someone learning a 2nd language, thinks in their native language. So if their native language is english, and they are trying to learn spanish. they will listen to spanish and try to translate it into english, in their head, subconsciously so that they may understand it better. So for that process..it's just easier to tell them that Creo means 'I believe' so that when they translate it in their head....it's something they are familiar with....

I hope I made sense! lol or am making sense!
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

viciousz_love said:

yea i know what you mean. haha i'm in that crossroads of intermediate to advanced spanish so i'm stuck at that path to where i'm trying to get all the little grammar and correct usage down.

but that's just me

and yes you did make sense

and @sedarr: the subjunctive is not something you just grasp in one day it takes a while to begin to get use to the way the sentences are set up because we don't really have a subjuctive in english. eventually it will feel natural of when and when not to use it. i'll try and find something for you to look at.

seydarr said:

muchas gracias todos i didnt know i wud create such an argumental conversation with such a question haha thanx anyway again
    Είναι τα αισθήματα μου σαν θηρία ανήμερα, κι ούτε ξέρω πως τ' αντέχω και τα συγκρατώ.

viciousz_love said:

jajajaj de nada

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by seydarr View Post

Gracias...
    To complement Bebe's first post...

The subjunctive is used:

1.- in questions:

-¿Crees que sea verdad? (Do you think/believe it's true?)
    -¿Crees que llegue a tiempo? (Do you think/believe he'll come on time?)

2.- in sentences where the first verb is in negative:

-No creo que sea verdad. (I don't think/believe it's true)
    -No creo que sepa lo que dice. (I don't think/believe he knows what he's saying.)

But, if the first verb is affirmative then we use indicative:

-Creo que no es verdad. (I think/believe it's not true).
    -Creo que no sabe lo que dice. (I think/believe he doesn't know what he's saying.)

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by viciousz_love View Post

1-.Creo que (él) vendrá a la fiesta a las dos.

2-.Creo que (él) quiere ir a la fiesta.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

viciousz_love said:

thank you!

i'm still learning as well.

citlalli said:

You're welcome! On one side I'm happy I'm a native speaker and I don't need to torture myself with all the spanish grammar rules, but on the other I want to help people who learn my mother tongue and sometimes I can't even find a way to do it

Anyway... I've posted this link before coz I think this site is good... so in case someone around here hasn't seen it, here it is again:

http://www.studyspanish.com/tutorial.htm

Have a nice weekend everyone Cheers!!!!

seydarr said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    To complement Bebe's first post...

The subjunctive is used:

1.- in questions:

-¿Crees que sea verdad? (Do you think/believe it's true?)
    -¿Crees que llegue a tiempo? (Do you think/believe he'll come on time?)

2.- in sentences where the first verb is in negative:

-No creo que sea verdad. (I don't think/believe it's true)
    -No creo que sepa lo que dice. (I don't think/believe he knows what he's saying.)

But, if the first verb is affirmative then we use indicative:

-Creo que no es verdad. (I think/believe it's not true).
    -Creo que no sabe lo que dice. (I think/believe he doesn't know what he's saying.)

thanx a lot, that is very helpful. i start to get the idea now. we have subjunctives in my mother tongue as well but its nothing compared to spanish. you use it very often in spanish

citlalli said:

Yes, we do use it a lot more than in most other languages What's your mother tongue?

seydarr said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Yes, we do use it a lot more than in most other languages What's your mother tongue?
    its turkish but my family speaks greek as well so i do speak it as well but not perfectly and english became as my native language as well...

papi.got.swag said:

ok ba,lets see, you said if your going on vacation in vegas,you going to visit wit your friends and um,sumthin about im going to cook everything lol.i didnt get all of it but i understood most of it.

viciousz_love said:

si me voy de vacaciones a vegas, voy a ir a visitarte con mis amigas y mas te vale que cocines todo eso en cantidades abundantes... hehehe

if i go on vacation to vegas, i'm going to go visit you with my friends and mark my words that you'll be cooking that in large amounts

haha some of the colloquialness i know i missed.

papi.got.swag said:

damn viciouz,u translated that pretty damn good.i needa step my game up!