Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None

bedroomeyes said:

I think it should be: Why are you wearing your coat today? And the infinitive of "wait" I believe is "to wait".
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    -Albert Einstein

velvet_sky said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    Sure darling, what I said was:

ya se, hasta yo le entendi, y siendo que hablo español = I know, even I understood it, and since I speak Spanish!
    --> but why you use le? isn't it supposed to be lo? since you mean I understood 'it' not I understood 'to it'?
    Oh, Gosh I still have problems with the pronouns

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    I will also miss you, to you and Mrs. Luisa.

la = it is informal way
    le = it is formal way
    same here
    acording to this ---> http://users.ipfw.edu/jehle/courses/pronouns.htm le is 'to him, her, it' whereas la is 'it,him,her'???

Quote Originally Posted by momper View Post
    "Echar de menos" is a transitive verbal expression (borrowed from the Portuguese) and in your sentence "la" is a pronoun in function of object direct: "usted" is a woman, so you say "la echaré de menos", if it was a man, it would be "lo echaré de menos" (a common mistake is to use "le" instead of "lo" as object direct).
    if that is so, shouldn't the translation be I will miss HER , not I will miss YOU???

-----------------------------------------------------

apart from these, how would you translate
    - su forma de hablar
    - ademas tu no lo amas, porque no da la talla
    - como loco te fui a alcansar
    - traer la solución
    - hacer cita - book an appointment??
    - pal
    - hacer cita pal
    - por solo
    - por solo hablar de ti ---> is this somekind of expression?
    - ser pasion de una obsesion que no pueda morir - to be passioned for an obsession which can't die????
    - bribo
    - y quizas pienses que soy un tonto bribo
    - what's the difference between the previous one and quizas piensAs que soy...
    -pura crema e chocolate huntarte y devorarte
    - huntarte
    - en tu mente corazon
    - hacer carisias
    Last edited by velvet_sky; 11-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Tose Proeski - The Hardest Thing --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKRrADJ7j3E
    * Agapi mou gurna pisw, Mou Leipeis... :[

3. momper said:

Quote Originally Posted by velvet_sky View Post
    --> but why you use le? isn't it supposed to be lo? since you mean I understood 'it' not I understood 'to it'?
    You can say: "Yo lo entendí" (yo entendí eso); and on the other hand: "Yo le entendí" (a usted). In the first clause "lo" is a direct object, and in the second "le" is an indirect object.

To use "le" as object direct is usually a mistake.

... le is 'to him, her, it' whereas la is 'it,him,her'???
    "La" is "to her/it" as object direct.
    Yo vi a una chica: yo la vi.
    Yo dije algo a una chica: yo le dije algo ("le" is an indirect object, the direct object is "algo").
    Yo como una manzana: yo la como (direct object again).

if that is so, shouldn't the translation be I will miss HER , not I will miss YOU???
    "Usted" is a polite form of second person, but it's conjugated in third person:

Tú eres guapa
    Usted es guapa

Yo te (to you) echaré de menos
    Yo la (to "usted") echaré de menos

4. Erito said:

-----------------------------------------------------

apart from these, how would you translate
    - su forma de hablar
    - ademas tu no lo amas, porque no da la talla
    - como loco te fui a alcansar
    - traer la solución
    - hacer cita - book an appointment??
    - pal
    - hacer cita pal
    - por solo
    - por solo hablar de ti ---> is this somekind of expression?
    - ser pasion de una obsesion que no pueda morir - to be passioned for an obsession which can't die????
    - bribo
    - y quizas pienses que soy un tonto bribo
    - what's the difference between the previous one and quizas piensAs que soy...
    -pura crema e chocolate huntarte y devorarte
    - huntarte
    - en tu mente corazon
    - hacer carisias
    let me try
    - su forma de hablar - Her/His way of talk (they way he/she talks)
    - ademas tu no lo amas, porque no da la talla - besides you don't love him (somehow he's not good enough) If I'm not mistaken this is an Akwid's song
    - como loco te fui a alcanzar - I ran after you like crazy (until I reached you) this is how I understand it but it's not the correct translation
    - traer la solución - To bring the solution
    - hacer cita - book an appointment?? correct
    - pal -Para (for/to)
    - hacer cita pal - Book/Make and appointment for
    - por solo - Just for ??? not sure on this
    - por solo hablar de ti ---> is this somekind of expression? - Just for (only) talk about you ?? not sure on this also
    - ser pasion de una obsesion que no pueda morir - to be passioned for an obsession which can't die???? correct, cannot end.
    - bribo - sorry urban dictionary it's not loading atm
    - untarte - Untar means, to butter/spread ie: peanut butter into a slice of bread
    - en tu mente corazon - in your mind sweetheart
    - hacer caricias - caress
    Thou art I and I am thou

5. Elena Raffaeli said:

Buongiorno! Bello questo topic! Sono italiana e riesco a capire abbastanza bene lo spagnolo (però non l'ho mai studiato). Il problema più grande? Le parole che sembrano simili, ma non lo sono!
    Ci sono due cose che mi sono sempre chiesta: "toma!" che significa? Vuol dire prendi, tieni o anche mangiare?
    Un'altra cosa: la parola "desajuno" come si pronuncia? La "j" è una "i" o una "g"?
    Grazie in anticipo!

Good morning! I like this topic! I'm Italian and I understand spanish pretty well (even though I have never studied it). The greatest problem? Words that do look similar, but are not!
    There are two things I have always asked myself: "toma!" what does it mean? Does it mean take this or even eat?
    Another one: the word "desajuno", what is its pronounciation? Is the "j" more a "i" or a "g"?
    Thanks in advance!

6. Elena Raffaeli said:

I think this should all be present progressive forms. You are making, I am looking, are you wearing, I am not eating.
    I don't understand why "am looking" should be wrong. Maybe your teacher wanted you to use the past progressive form, "I was looking", but it isn't such a big mistake, because you don't have any time references.

7. Elena Raffaeli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Erito View Post
    Hola a todos, se que esto no corresponde a esta area del foro pero quiero hacerlo aqui, la verdad es que hice un examen de ingles y hay una parte en la que tengo dudas

complete the sentences with the appropriate form of the verbs in parenthesis

I will write the ones that the teacher said were wrong

You ____ a lot of noise. Can you be a bit quieter? (make)
    I was doubting in this one if it should be made or make but I decided to use make because it doesn't specify the time for example you made a lot of noise last night.

Excuse me, I _______ for a phone box. Is there one near here (look) my answer was "am looking"

alright I don't know how this is wrong or I'm supposed to write "I look for a phone box" either way my answer should still be correct which is not the case

Why ___________ your coat today? It's very warm (you/wear) my answer here was "you wore" but still I doubted if it was worn or wore. what is this, present perfect progressive?

I want to lose weight. I _______ anything today (not/eat) my answer was "won't eat" no idea what happened here

and there was a part when we conjugate some verbs and apparently I have one mistake there

Infinitive : Wait
    Past tense: Waited (my answer) apparently it was wrong

I think this should all be present progressive forms. You are making, I am looking, are you wearing, I am not eating.
    I don't understand why "am looking" should be wrong. Maybe your teacher wanted you to use the past progressive form, "I was looking", but it isn't such a big mistake, because you don't have any time references.

8. momper said:

Quote Originally Posted by Elena Raffaeli View Post
    !"toma!" what does it mean? Does it mean take this or even eat?
    "Toma" can mean both meanings. It can also be an interjection:

«1. interj. coloq. U. para dar a entender la poca novedad o importancia de algo.
    2. interj. coloq. U. para señalar como castigo, expiación o desengaño, aquello de que se habla. ¿No te dije que corrías peligro? Pues ¡toma!».
    RAE

Quote Originally Posted by Elena Raffaeli View Post
    Another one: the word "desajuno", what is its pronounciation? Is the "j" more a "i" or a "g"?
    It writes "desayuno". The pronunciation of "y" is similar to "ll": desalliuno.
    Last edited by momper; 11-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.

9. momper said:

Sorry, I've made a correction: "desayuno" pronounces desalliuno.

velvet_sky said:

You can say: "Yo lo entendí" (yo entendí eso); and on the other hand: "Yo le entendí" (a usted). In the first clause "lo" is a direct object, and in the second "le" is an indirect object.

To use "le" as object direct is usually a mistake.
    Aha, now I think I got 'le' 'lo' pronouns in this particular example thanks!
    one more thing in this regard, since Zahra used 'Yo le entendí' I guess here she used it as indirect, is that right? or as direct, and therefore it's considered to be a mistake, as you said?
    Whever we use indirect pronouns, should we always put a clarification clause (a usted) at the end of the sentence?

"La" is "to her/it" as object direct.
    Yo vi a una chica: yo la vi.
    Yo dije algo a una chica: yo le dije algo ("le" is an indirect object, the direct object is "algo").
    Yo como una manzana: yo la como (direct object again).
    Ok, clear enought with those few examples....

buut in particular

'''' .................................................. .......
    Yo también la echaré de menos, a usted y a la señora Luisa.

why here is used 'la' instead of 'le'?''''''
    --------------------------------------

'''' I will also miss you, to you and Mrs. Luisa.

la = it is informal way
    le = it is formal way''''''

.................................................. .....

do they both play the role of direct object??? coz basically I thought that LE is always used for indirect whereas la is for the direct,,, and from the example above I think la is meant to be direct, am I right? and since we are polite we use la (for you formal) instead of te (you informal)... but why you indicated that la is informal? my notes says it's formal, usted, direct object pronoun... and le is also formal but indirect object pronoun??

-------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW Question:

siempre en las nubes se la ve --- she is in the clouds or she always can be seen in the clouds or you always see her in the clouds???

La - is her
    ve - see
    and 'se' referers to??? --- to her? doesn't make sense to me

=======================

Quote Originally Posted by Erito View Post
    - ademas tu no lo amas, porque no da la talla - besides you don't love him (somehow he's not good enough) If I'm not mistaken this is an Akwid's song
    thanks for the translations Erito the song was Aventura- Obsesion ))

11. momper said:

since Zahra used 'Yo le entendí' I guess here she used it as indirect, is that right?
    I think it isn´t a mistake.

Whever we use indirect pronouns, should we always put a clarification clause (a usted) at the end of the sentence?
    Not at all.

I thought that LE is always used for indirect whereas la is for the direct,,, and from the example above I think la is meant to be direct, am I right? and since we are polite we use la (for you formal) instead of te (you informal)... but why you indicated that la is informal? my notes says it's formal, usted, direct object pronoun... and le is also formal but indirect object pronoun??
    The basic rule is, as you know: "lo" and "la" for direct object, and "le" for indirect object. But there are exceptions (don't worry, a lot of native speakers don't know them with precision). One of these exceptions is the "leísmo de cortesía" (Zhara referred to it): ¿Quiere que le acompañe? [Dirigido a una mujer]. However, I'd say: ¿Quiere que la acompañe?

siempre en las nubes se la ve --- she is in the clouds or she always can be seen in the clouds or you always see her in the clouds???

La - is her
    ve - see
    and 'se' referers to??? --- to her? doesn't make sense to me
    I think "Se la ve en las nubes" is an impersonal sentence. When a verb lacks grammatical subject, it's written with "se".

velvet_sky said:

I think "Se la ve en las nubes" is an impersonal sentence. When a verb lacks grammatical subject, it's written with "se".
    hmm could you please brief me a little bit more about that rule and could u translate the sentence as u think it should be translated

---
    btw I have seen that spanish ppl use que in fron of sentences in the meaing of because, is that right? like que tiene un asunto importante, in the meaning of coz he has an important issue???

----

now more new questions, or more likely translations:P :

y se las asocia --- translation??? I guess se here could mean 'to them, to her, to him' ???

hacerse mayor -

la quiere como si fuera su propia hija - she loves her as if she was her own daughter, is that right? --- if yes, I woud like to ask just one thing. I got the meaning, but this fuera I believe is subjuntivo imperfecto, right? soooo why this mode is used here? when we should use it, why it's not used for example como si era?

tiene media cara como un balón de fútbol

Pedro está comiéndose un bocadillo - why here se is used after comiendo? isn't it enough to say esta comiendo - he's eating??? and how exactly u would translate the sentence with that 'se' after the verb??

ayer Paco estuvo en el cine --- why estuvo is used instead of estaba, since we mean the he was there for a while so there is a long term in the past??? shouldnt we , in this case, use estaba as it shows prolonged action?

¿Qué te pasa en la cara?

no, ojalá --- is it thank God no, or no, but I wish so?

ella no lo encuentra nada guapo ---- this nada, do we use it like ' at all' ?? like she doesn't find him handsome at all??

si supiera tocar la guitarra, haría una canción

a lo mejor

¿Has oído las noticias?, Lo de los precios? ---- is this lo used to show 'these particular ones'??

¿cuando le va bien?

en la plaza un tazi la adelanta y le corta el paso

ella sigue hasta la plaza muy rápido. Lo del taxista la ha puesto de muy mal humor

orujo

aguardiente

mita-mita .... or maybe mitad-mitad

me parece que no te cae muy simpática ella

cadenas de televisión

es un tío raro (Laure)

no habla, solo está solo y no sale.... no se parece en nada a él - what thsi se indicates here? =)

'''''''''''''''''''''''
    - ¿confías en él?,
    - Sí
    - Pero tampoco te gusta mucho Laure
    - yo no le gusto a él
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

vamos al taxi, pero va a salir carísimo (is it an expression to say the taxi will cost really much, and do u use it very frequently?)

lleva todo el día puesto el walkman --- llevar todo el día --- all day long???

él la mira y está pensando que quiere estar a su lado,,,, luego, se come un bocadillo de atún --- why it is se come?

armas de fuego

entrar en contacto

estar asustado

el hombre se ocupa de la chaca---ocupa de ????

se llevaron el cepillo de Persy

cervecita

el uno en el otro

pañuelo de papel

pobrecillo

marga y antonio se llevan muy mal

ellos no son gente seria --- i thought that gente is always singular???? why then it´s used son???

estar en contra

a la vez

vamos, de ti ---- let´s go, after you?

o sea que tú amigo te ha ayudado ---- translation,, pluuus whyy sea is used here???

y tó

una mente inquieta

a ver - can we use this as 'lets see'??
    Last edited by velvet_sky; 11-17-2011 at 07:00 PM.

linkin85ale said:

translate into spanish please

one minute and i'll pass out,that's why i've been getting tired for,and i found it

whoever sees her stand gazing,and i guess i'll go nuts

i've never loved someone that's making me tired only this time

14. momper said:

hmm could you please brief me a little bit more about that rule and could u translate the sentence as u think it should be translated
    If you don't know the grammatical subject, or this is irrelevant, you can use "se" before the verb in third person. For example, in a shop you can read: "Se abre los domingos"; it would be a little silly to write "Esta tienda abre los domingos".

In your sentence "se" represents any person.

btw I have seen that spanish ppl use que in fron of sentences in the meaing of because, is that right?
    Yes, "que" can be a causal conjunction.

y se las asocia --- translation??? I guess se here could mean 'to them, to her, to him' ???
    I don't dare to translate. I think this "se... asocia" is also an impersonal verb.

"hacerse mayor" is "to grow old".

la quiere como si fuera su propia hija [...] why this mode is used here? when we should use it, why it's not used for example como si era?
    The subjunctive mood is mainly used to indicate uncertainty, subjectivity or possibility.
    Wikipedia

Pedro está comiéndose un bocadillo - why here se is used after comiendo? isn't it enough to say esta comiendo - he's eating???
    Here "se" has a expressive value. Yes, it's enough to say "está comiendo". An example: Juan (se) merece un premio.

ayer Paco estuvo en el cine --- why estuvo is used instead of estaba
    "Estuvo" (unlike "estaba") indicates an completed action. You can say for example: "Ayer Paco estuvo en el cine y compró un libro"; if you say "Ayer Paco estaba en el cine", the next action has to happen at the same time.

no, ojalá --- is it thank God no, or no, but I wish so?
    Ojalá is I wish. Etymologically, "ojalá" is "Si Dios quiere" (God willing).

ella no lo encuentra nada guapo ---- this nada, do we use it like ' at all' ?? like she doesn't find him handsome at all??
    You are right.

¿Has oído las noticias?, Lo de los precios? ---- is this lo used to show 'these particular ones'?
    Here "lo" means "el asunto de" (the matter of).

velvet_sky said:

ahh momper thanks for the quick reply I've edited my post few times, so the list has become a little bit looong
    anywaysss thanks for ur help, I am going to read ur reply in more detail tomorrow, coz I already feel really sleepy

Good night and see ya around x

16. momper said:

a lo mejor
    Maybe, perhaps.

aguardiente
    Eau-de-vie, liquor.

mita-mita .... or maybe mitad-mitad
    mita-mita hasn't sense.

no habla, solo está solo y no sale.... no se parece en nada a él - what thsi se indicates here? =)
    Here "se" is part of a pronominal verb.
    Parecer is "look": This work looks easy (Este trabajo parece fácil).
    Parecerse is "look like sb/sth": She looks like her mother (Ella se parece a su madre).

vamos al taxi, pero va a salir carísimo (is it an expression to say the taxi will cost really much, and do u use it very frequently?)
    No.

lleva todo el día puesto el walkman --- llevar todo el día --- all day long???
    Yes.

él la mira y está pensando que quiere estar a su lado,,,, luego, se come un bocadillo de atún --- why it is se come?
    Here "se" has a expressive value, you can say "luego come un bocadillo", but it sounds better "se come".

armas de fuego: firearms

entrar en contacto: to come into contact

estar asustado: to be frightened

pañuelo de papel: paper tissue

ellos no son gente seria --- i thought that gente is always singular???? why then it´s used son???
    "Son" agrees with "ellos".

estar en contra: to be against

a la vez: at the same time

vamos, de ti ---- let´s go, after you?
    "vamos, de ti" hasn't sense.

o sea que tú amigo te ha ayudado ---- translation,, pluuus whyy sea is used here???
    "o sea" is an expression, it means "that is".

"y tó": maybe you want to say "y todo", in a very colloquial language "todo" can be "to".

a ver - can we use this as 'lets see'??
    Yes. Another example: A ver, ¿de qué se trata?: All right, now, what's the problem?
    Last edited by momper; 11-18-2011 at 01:18 PM.

velvet_sky said:

Momeper, thanks once again ))) u just missed some of the sentences if you have time and you are willing to translate them, pls do so pp annnd btw sorry that I always have so maaaany questions and maybe some of them I repeat, and you already have answered to me, but sometimes I get confused with some weird expressions and usage of words, so that I need help once again

si supiera tocar la guitarra, haría una canción - translation pls : )

¿cuando le va bien? - transaltion plus why it is le va bien? is it an expression,

en la plaza un taxi la adelanta y le corta el paso - translation pls

ella sigue hasta la plaza muy rápido. Lo del taxista la ha puesto de muy mal humor - translation, plus I can't quite get the second part of the sentence with that lo del taxista la ha puesto???

me parece que no te cae muy simpática ella - translation :P

===== ok that's a dialog buuut :
    pedro: - ¿confías en él?, a guy ask another guy if he trust Laure
    antonio: - Sí he answers YEs
    pedro: - Pero tampoco te gusta mucho Laure then the guy ask that another guy again, but smth that I can't get in this sentece is why it is tampoco? is it like, yes u trust him, but u also dont like him???
    antonio: - yo no le gusto a él - and antonio answers to the previous question of pedro with i dont like him??? or what???,, plus is it le refering to Laure?

=====

es un tío raro - translation

el hombre se ocupa de la chaca--- --- translation plus what is ocupar de???

se llevaron el cepillo de Persy -- why it;s not only llevaron el cepillo?

cervecita - is this beer but said in more kind way??

el uno en el otro -- translation

pobrecillo - little village???

marga y antonio se llevan muy mal --- translation, plus se llevan muy mal? expression again? meaning?

una mente inquieta - translation pls pp

velvet_sky said:

Here are some new sentences that I need translation of, pleaseee

1. hace apenas dos años -

2. a lo largo de - translatio

3. aparcamiento de niños

4. Tenía que haben hablado con él más temprano --- ok, I know what´s the construction here (that when we want to express regret, we may use condicional simple, or this kind of particular expression '' tener que (in imperfect tense) plus infinitivo compuesto) buuuut!!!! I am not really sure how exactly this might be translated into English - the infinitivo compuesto. So please help me with that =)

19. Lady_A said:

1. hace apenas dos años -
    Only two years ago

2. a lo largo de - translatio
    in the time of/during/along/throughout

3. aparcamiento de niños
    children park

4. Tenía que haben hablado con él más temprano
    --- ok, I know what´s the construction here (that when we want to express regret, we may use condicional simple, or this kind of particular expression '' tener que (in imperfect tense) plus infinitivo compuesto) buuuut!!!! I am not really sure how exactly this might be translated into English - the infinitivo compuesto. So please help me with that =)

He/she should had spoken with him earlier (that's how it sounds to me in English, but don't ask me why ) )

20. Lady_A said:

As a learner myself, I will try to translate and explain but for more detailed information wait for momper

si supiera tocar la guitarra, haría una canción - translation pls : )
    If I knew how to play the guitar, I would compose a song.

¿cuando le va bien? - transaltion plus why it is le va bien? is it an expression,
    When is it good for you? And yes, it is an expression meaning "when is the right time for you?", "when is it ok with you?"

en la plaza un taxi la adelanta y le corta el paso - translation pls
    At the square a taxi driver passes her by and stays in her way.

ella sigue hasta la plaza muy rápido. Lo del taxista la ha puesto de muy mal humor - translation, plus I can't quite get the second part of the sentence with that lo del taxista la ha puesto???
    She continues [to walk] to the square very rapidly. The thing with the taxi driver has put her in a very bad mood.
    - lo (del taxista) reffers to the "incident" with the taxi driver, it substitutes all the story told in the previous sentence.
    - poner de muy mal humor a alguien (expression) - to put someone in a very bad mood

me parece que no te cae muy simpática ella - translation :P
    It seems to me that you don't find her very nice.

===== ok that's a dialog buuut :
    pedro: - ¿confías en él?, a guy ask another guy if he trust Laure
    do you trust him?
    antonio: - Sí he answers YEs
    yes
    pedro: - Pero tampoco te gusta mucho Laure then the guy ask that another guy again, but smth that I can't get in this sentece is why it is tampoco? is it like, yes u trust him, but u also dont like him??? ---- Yes, thst's what I understand too
    but you also don't like him very much.
    antonio: - yo no le gusto a él - and antonio answers to the previous question of pedro with i dont like him??? or what???,, plus is it le refering to Laure? ---- Yes to this question. And the right translation is:
    it's him who doesn't like me.

=====

es un tío raro - translation
    he's a strange uncle

el hombre se ocupa de la chaca--- --- translation plus what is ocupar de???
    Firstly I guess it's "cacha" and not "chaca", and if so it would be:
    The man takes care of/is in charge of the hunting.
    ocuparse de - to take care of, to be in charge of, to manage

se llevaron el cepillo de Persy -- why it;s not only llevaron el cepillo?
    "se" stands for "with them" --- They took with them Persy's brush.

cervecita - is this beer but said in more kind way??
    yes, it's diminutive...."little" beer

el uno en el otro -- translation
    one in another or one another
    e.g. Confian el uno en el otro = They trust one another.

pobrecillo - little village???
    It's: poor little thing, poor thing --- diminutive for pobre
    "pueblecillo" is the diminutive for village

marga y antonio se llevan muy mal --- translation, plus se llevan muy mal? expression again? meaning?
    Marga and Anthony are on very bad terms.
    llevarse muy mal con alguien --- means to not get along with, to be on bad terms with.

una mente inquieta - translation pls pp
    a restless mind
    Last edited by Lady_A; 11-19-2011 at 11:50 AM.