Learning Serbian /Croatian/Bosnian

Thread: Learning Serbian /Croatian/Bosnian

Tags: None
  1. MarkoV said:

yeah i think its a good idea

Nur_Demir said:

Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Welcome Picaflor!
    I'm going to learn spanish soon so I'll maybe need some help.
    Hummingbird is KOLIBRI, if you ask that...
    I have rosetta stone spanish learning software if you would like to start your spanish learning.

Ostani do kraj,
    cekaj go denot nov sto se budi,
    ljubi me i znaj,
    ti si se sto sakam jas.

baskarukebaskanoge said:

Quote Originally Posted by Luby91 View Post
    kolekcija Kafkovih knjiga
    Kafka's books > Kafkove knjige
    but when it is in the genitive case such as collection of Kafka's books
    you just use the same techniques with -ov- in it... lol

Kolekcija Aninih knjiga
    Collection of Ana's books
    Hvala za lepe reci

Actually... it's Kafkine knjige.

So it's kolekcija Kafkinih knjiga (the both words are in their genitive forms).

But...

In "Kafkine knjige", word "Kafkine" is not a noun but an adjective (prisvojni pridev- adjective of possession). So it changes it's forms along with the noun it's standing for, like all the other adjectives.

If you want to say "Kafka's books" using his name in genitive, it would be "knjige Kafke". We usually make those "adjectives of possession" of people's names. I think that genitive forms for names are not even used, cause it sounds really confusing, maybe even archaic. Although it's not a mistake to use it, i think that it would take a native speaker maybe... 10 seconds to understand what you said.

And of course, we use genitive forms for things, we don't make those adjectives of them.

examples:

Draganova olovka (Dragan's pencil)-adjective
    vrata kuće (door of a house)-noun in genitive
    Anin telefon (Ana's phone)-adjective
    stranica knjige (a page of a book)-noun in genitive

And something i forgot....

If you chose to use that "knjige Kafke" (which you won't do ) then the collection of Kafka's books=kolekcija knjiga Kafke. The word "kolekcija" relates only to word "knjige", which is the main word of the "knjige Kafke". So, word "Kafke" has nothing to do with the word "kolekcija"... it remains in the same form... no double genitives or whatever (i don't know what you exactly meant, but i imagined that genitive of "Kafka" becomes nominative and has to be changed in the new genitive... duh... i need some sleep )

Anyway, I said it because of the other situations when you could use it (not names but things):
    word "gomila" first comes to my mind, it means a bunch/pile, and word that stands with it has to be in it's genitive form. So...

Gomila stranica knjige= a pile of pages of a book.

So the word "knjige", which was already in genitive, remained the same. Word "gomila" relates only to word "stranica".
    Last edited by baskarukebaskanoge; 08-05-2008 at 05:52 PM.

4. MarkoV said:

wow that was complete thank you a lot, im struggling to remember all the endings, but its difficult . I had a meal with my greater family today so i had the opportunity to practice this things

Vlada said:

Oh God this seems to difficult even to me Baskarugebaskanoge you are realy a teacher, do yo? I wrote "like he said", sorry

Vlada said:

Quote Originally Posted by Nur_Demir View Post
    I have rosetta stone spanish learning software if you would like to start your spanish learning.

Yeah that would be nice

Vlada said:

Let's continue with "easy" things

Future tesne (Buduće vreme - Futur)

I will - Ja ĆU
    You will - Ti ĆEŠ
    He, She, It will - On, Ona, Ono ĆE
    We will - Mi ĆEMO
    You will - Vi ĆETE
    They will - Oni ĆE

Serbian version 1 (maybe seems difficult but you only have to know present)

RADITI - Work

Ja ću da radim
    I will +da +present (radim, radiš,radi...)

Ti ćeš da radiš
    On, ona, ono će da radi
    Mi ćemo da radimo
    Vi ćete da radite
    Oni će da rade

ZABORAVITI - forget

Ja ću da zaboravim
    Ti ćeš da zaboraviš
    On, ona, ono će da zaboravi
    Mi ćemo da zaboravimo
    Vi ćete da zaboravite
    Oni će da zaborave

Croatian version 1

I will + infinitive

Ja ću raditi
    Ti ćeš raditi
    On, ona, ono će raditi
    Mi ćemo raditi
    Vi ćete raditi
    Oni će raditi

Ja ću zaboraviti
    Ti ćeš zaboraviti
    On, ona, ono će zaboraviti
    Mi ćemo zaboraviti
    Vi ćete zaboraviti
    oni će zaboraviti

Serbian version 2

When you don't say I, you, he...

Infinitive without TI + will

RADITI

Radi-ću (I will work)
    Radi-ćeš (You will work)
    Radi-će (He, she, it will work)
    Radi-ćemo (We will work)
    Radi-ćete (You will work)
    Radi-če (They will work)

ZABORAVITI

Zaboraviću
    Zaboravićeš
    Zaboraviće
    Zaboravićemo
    Zaboravićete
    Zaboraviće

Croatian version 2

Infinitive without I + will (too words)

Radit ću
    Radit ćeš
    Radit će
    Radit ćemo
    Radit ćete
    Radit će

Zaboravit ću
    Zaboravit ćeš
    Zaboravit će
    Zaboravit ćemo
    Zaboravit ćete
    Zaboravit će

8. MarkoV said:

so the future in serbian is different... interesting.

pthalo said:

Super je ova tema! Jako bih želela da naučim srpski. Učim svaki dan tek 4 meseca, a još pravim mnogo greške: ponekad loše biram padeži, loše biram reči (jer pretražim ih u rečniku i dobijem oko 5 nepoznati reči i nemam pojma koja reč treba da upotrebljavam). I još imam problemi sa redom reči. I me ne pomaže da na tekstovi pesama koristite nešto drugo red reči...

A nema veze, naučiću.

Forumi su dobri način za učenje jezici. Pratim nekoliko forumi na srpskom i to me pomaže.
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

baskarukebaskanoge said:

I have to tell something more about future tense...

That what Vlada wrote about "Croatian version 1" is not only Croatian... it's Serbian as well. And it is correct version. "Serbian version 1" you won't find in any grammar book, it just doesn't exist in grammar, but it is used often. But we use the correct one often, too.

And there is another future tense in Serbian... but future 1 and 2 have different use. So this is enough, for now.

pthalo, your Serbian is good! I mean, you made a few mistakes, it's true, (most of them vere wrong cases, and only one wrong word order) but those are the little things... you'll learn it. The main thing is that you managed to express your thoughts and to be understood.

Anyway, it's known that the word order is not really important in Serbian (but there are some exceptions). The example for that is sentence "hladan vetar poljem duva" (cold wind blows in the field). So you can change the word order in as many ways as possible; meaning will remain the same...
    hladan duva poljem vetar
    poljem duva vetar hladan
    duva vetar poljem hladan

baskarukebaskanoge said:

Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Oh God this seems to difficult even to me Baskarugebaskanoge you are realy a teacher, do yo? I wrote "like he said", sorry
    Ma nema problema
    I nisam nastavnica , samo pomazem zeljnima znanja, bas kao i ti.

Vlada said:

Kako onda toliko dobro znas gramatiku?

baskarukebaskanoge said:

Pa uvek mi je zanimljiva bila, i nekako je to doslo samo od sebe, jedva da sam ulagala neki trud... pa je tu bilo i takmicenja iz srpskog u osnovnoj skoli... uzgred nikada nisam otisla dalje od opstinskog.

Vlada said:

Ja sam isao na takmicenje iz geografije u osnovnoj.
    Ovo sa poljem je bilo zanimljivo Ali ko bi jos rekao stvarno "duva vetar poljem hladan" Nemoj da komplikujes
    I jel si sigurna za ono sa futurom? Ja sam prilicno ubedjen da je verzija sa da pravilna i ne koristi se samo u govoru...

Pthalo, you are learning only 4 months, your Serbian is excellent!

baskarukebaskanoge said:

Pa rekao bi neko... ko voli neobicno da se izrazava... mozda...
    to je bila samo ilustracija toga koliko su bitni padezi i nevaznosti reda reci u recenici.

Potrazila sam u tri knjige, ni u jednoj nisam nasla takvu upotrebu futura. A onda sam trazila pod rečcom "da" (ponadala sam se da ima nesto o njenoj upotrebi), ali slaba vajda i od toga... ni tu se ne pominje. U svakom slucaju, svi koristimo i tu verziju, pored one formalne (da ne kazem pravilne ), tako da ce svakako koristiti ovima sto uce srpski.

Nur_Demir said:

Baska - just sent you a pm with more spanish lessons.
    Ostani do kraj,
    ljubi me i znaj,
    ti si se sto sakam jas.

baskarukebaskanoge said:

Great! Thanks a lot, i'll download it right now!

pthalo said:

hvala, učim svim srcem.

For people who are learning Serbian and or Croatian, I found a great cheat sheet for grammar stuff: http://www2.bc.edu/~niebuhro/crogrammar.htm

Da ima nešto o prefiksi, bio bi savršen.
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

Nur_Demir said:

Quote Originally Posted by pthalo View Post
    hvala, učim svim srcem.

For people who are learning Serbian and or Croatian, I found a great cheat sheet for grammar stuff: http://www2.bc.edu/~niebuhro/crogrammar.htm

Da ima nešto o prefiksi, bio bi savršen.
    AWESOME!! Hvala ti puno!!!

Ostani do kraj,
    ljubi me i znaj,
    ti si se sto sakam jas.

pthalo said:

Nema na čemu - you're welcome.

The bit about prepositions was really useful for me. It tells you what they all mean (there's so many! i mean, i knew some of them but others were kinda fuzzy in my head), and what case to use with them.